Free Newsletter

Losing motivation

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Losing motivation

Postby meegs » Sat May 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Hi all.
I write this post with a heavy heart!
I feel up to this point I have done quite well. I have lost nearly 9kg... BUT (and there's always a but, and in my case a pretty big one!) now I am stuck.

I lost the 9kg quite well, certainly not easily but well, and now I feel like I am doing similar things but I can't get to 10.

Every time I have got to 5kg lost I stop, so at least this time I have got further... BUT how do I go on?

I am still exercising regularly and eating quite well... not perfectly but still sooooooo much better than I have in the past.
I have an excellent exercise group - and we are starting a jogging regime in the morning (on a Sunday even!!!) similar to the C25k with the aim of doing a 10km fun run (?) on August 31st.

Any advice? Any ideas? Please help.
Meegs
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZmhU33/]
[/url]
meegs

Re: Losing motivation

Postby GoddessInside » Sun May 25, 2008 9:34 am

Hi Meegs,

Don't worry, I've only just come out of my rutt and it is extremely difficult to do so. Just hang in there and keep the faith :)

What eating program are you on ? Counting calories ? WW ? JC ? ... Is it possible that you may not eating enough and therefore your body storing everything ? Do you have a food diary, where you record what you eat ?

It sounds like you've got everything sorted on the exercise front and I commend you on your exercise group, I still haven't buit up that courage :)

Overall, look at how far you have come !! 9 kgs is alot of weight to have lost. Go pick up 9kgs of potatoes, to get an idea of how far you've come ! Your fun run sounds awesome ! Im positive that you will reach your goal to run it in August. Maybe just start off by going through your eating plan with a fine tooth combe and see if there's anything you can improve on.

Stay focussed hun, you can do this :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby milkyway » Sun May 25, 2008 2:36 pm

Congrats on the 9kg to date - that's fantastic :)

Have you thought about setting a goal for a race/event sooner than August? Like a 5km in June or July? I dunno, but maybe it will help having a goal sooner rather than a comfortable period of time in the future where you can mentally saying "Oh well, it's doesn't matter if I skip this training session/eat this <insert treat of choice> cos the race isn't for another 2 months and plenty of time to catch up..." Or maybe that's just what I need to be doing :oops:
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby candycane » Mon May 26, 2008 11:43 am

Hey meegs,

i know how u feel, im on a 7 kg rut at the moment. I feel skinnier but the scales dont show it!! i guess u just have to also imagine what the finish line will look like, thats what i do i think man imma look damn hot in that dress in 5-10 kgs time, n it motivates me to keep plodding along.

You can mix your eating or exercise up a bit to help u out of the plateau stage, try eat more whole and less processed foods, or some interval training. Take up a boxing class (ie not in the ring) that'll really get the sweat pouring out of u :)

dont lose faith though even though its hard *takes my own advice* hehehe

good luck we're all here to help.
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...
candycane

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon May 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi Meegs. I know how disheartening it is once you reach a plateau! If it's any consolation it's a natural phase you'll go through. The body is an amazing thing and in order to survive famine it learns to adjust to stop you losing weight. Once it gets used to a certain amount of calories it will adjust its metabolism so that you can maintain weight on that amount. And it becomes very efficient with exercise so that you don't burn as much fat (it's one reason exercise becomes easier once you get better at it, your muscles become really good at doing those movements with as little effort as possible).

There are a few ways of getting through a plateau in theory.

You can shake up your diet. For instance, if you're currently doing low-fat low-calorie try increasing protein and fat and cutting down on carbs. Or vice versa. Rather than three large meals with fruit and veg as snacks try six smaller meals. Check how many calories you are consuming. Is it possible your portion sizes have crept up? Or could you be eating too few calories. If your body has gone into starvation mode you'll find your weight loss slowing to a stop. Make sure you're not cutting too many calories. It can be as detrimental to weight loss as too many calories.

Or you can change your exercise. If you're concentrating on cardio add some resistance work. Building muscles increases your resting metabolism so it could be enough to start your weight loss again. Try a new exercise that you may struggle with at first. If you are a runner try swimming. If you are a swimmer try tennis. If you love tennis try dance. Anything new that gets your body working in new ways should increase the amount of calories you burn. Or if you love the exercise you do now just adjust the time or intensity. Try exercising with 10% more intensity (running or walking faster, or a harder setting on your elliptical trainer, etc.) Or keep the same pace and increase the length of time by 10%.

There are some excellent tips for beating a plateau here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/as ... ts.asp?q=8

Good luck and let us know how you go! Congrats on losing the 9kg too. That's a great achievement! Don't get so caught up on this plateau that you forget to celebrate your success so far. :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby meegs » Mon May 26, 2008 10:03 pm

WOW!
I can't thank you all enough for your lovely words.
I have been looking at this forum for quite a while and knew how supportive you all are and now the words have been there for me.
I hope that in time I can return that support.

I think that one of my biggest problem is portion sizing :roll: (of course), and not thinking my meals through 100%

I, of course, will continue in my efforts to bring my weight down.

I will keep you all updated with my progress and look forward to your support.
Thanks,
Meegs
xxx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZmhU33/]
[/url]
meegs

Postby candycane » Mon May 26, 2008 11:26 pm

yay im glad to hear it! :)

Massive congrats on your weightloss so far btw. I think the hardest part is starting. Have you tried calorie king? a few people on this site use calorie king to help them with their eating and portions. Maybe try cut down a little at a time though dont like halve your eating straight away or you might find it harder to maintain.

Good luck with the rest of your journey. :)
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...
candycane

Postby ali76 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:13 pm

Hey Meegs!

I think portion sizing kills most of us! One little secret I learnt from the fabulous EWQ was to cheat a little bit....I still have the same size plate and the same coverage on the plate, but I make sure around 75% of whats on the plate is salad or veggies (not potatoes though!). This way I still think I'm eating a lot and full by the end of my meal but I'm eating very little of the bad / fatty stuff and loads of the good stuff!

My plate notmally consists of a baked chicken breast (smallish) then a heap of carrots, beans, cauliflower and broccoli (yum!). I don't follow weight watchers but I believe those veggies dont have any points? I use Calorie King and they're crazily low in calories :D

Good luck hun - you CAN do it!!

xo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed May 28, 2008 2:22 pm

There are a few other ways you can keep an eye on portion control too.

Listen to your hunger signals for starters. Many of us are used to eating until we are completely stuffed. That's too full! Eat slowly, savouring each bite and really enjoy the flavours. Once you feel a warm glow in your solar plexus and you are no longer feeling hungry - stop. Put aside the rest of your meal, or (if you're really clever) make sure you're eating off small plates so that's the only amount you've got in front of you. Now wait 20 minutes. Remind yourself that the food is there if you need it. It will be there in 20 minutes just as much as it's there right now. You won't starve to death in 20 minutes, especially since you've already eaten a full meal! After 20 minutes if you are still hungry (hungry mind you, not bored, tired, stressed or any other reason we choose to eat) get another small serving. Repeat this process as many times as necessary, always making sure not to eat until you are bursting. It takes a while to recognise what 'satisfied' feels like. The best description I can find is that happy glow in the solar plexus region. That's what we're supposed to feel after a meal! Anything beyond that really is overeating.

I use the trick of bulking my meals up with veggies and salad that the other Ali mentioned. Another trick I use is to test whether I'm really hungry or not. And that test is "Would I be willing to eat a bowl of veggies or an apple to satisfy my hunger?". If the answer is "Yes" then I know I'm genuinely hungry. If the answer is "No, I want to eat a sandwich or chips or bikkies", then I know I'm wanting to eat for a reason other than hunger so I need to tackle that problem in a different way.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous