It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:02 pm

Free Newsletter

Problems you experience by being Obese

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Problems you experience by being Obese

Postby curvygirl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:43 pm

I new thought that been overweight would impact on almost everything that I do but it does. I havent owned a decent pair of shoes in years. The little heels on those cutes slip ons seem to buckle under my weight. Clothes shopping is horrible. You either pay throught the nose or end up with some old ladies type clothes. I cant even find a nice bracelet that fits around my chunky wrist. All my underwear has become boring and comfortable. I went to the movies the other day and when I squeezed my bum into the seat I thought "gee these seats are small" Then I realised it was the size of my bum. :( People treat you different when you are overweight.
All the girls that work for my company are all 20 something corporate types and then there's me. The old fat lady. They all think that because I am fat I dont know how to party and just want to eat all day.
I am so motivated right now to loose weight. I want my life back.
I would love to hear about your problems that you experience becuase you have a few extra curves.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Re: Problems you experience by being Obese

Postby yoyogirl88 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:54 pm

Pretty much everything you said I relate to. I get bugged by the extra acne though and the difficulty in bending to tie my shoes. The worst is when I get puffed getting in and out of bed. I hate eating out because I feel like Im being judged on what I chose and how much I eat and heaven forbid if I have desert.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Mandie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:00 pm

Stuff I experienced when I was bigger (140kg)
-being asked to get off a rollercoaster in front of all my friends because the harness didn't fit over me
-having to squuueeeeeeeeeze into airplane seats
-never being sat next to on the bus, being glared at if i sat next to someone
-getting dirty looks whenever i ate out, nomatter what it was
-being told "there's nothing for you here" at shops
-being unable to get a uniform to fit at work, having to wear something different
-having to buy old lady clothes as a 18-20 year old

Stuff I experience now (around 115-120kg, much more confidence, size 16 on top, 22ish on bottom)
-still have to squeeze a bit into plane seats, but nowhere near as bad as before
-whee, i go on rollercoasters!
-buying nice, age appropriate clothes
-wearing stockings! (how i missed them...)
-wearing heels!

..guess I just wanted to show that sometimes just a bit of weight loss goes a long way. the reason why i have plateaued around here so long is that i am HAPPY at this weight - i want to lose it to become more fit and healthy, but i'm not miserable - the loss of weight of 20kg for me was enough to make a MASSIVE difference in my life - so for all those big girls out there, don't be discouraged! you're not going to be miserable UNTIL you're 60kg - positive things happen WAY before that!
Mandie

Postby curvygirl » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:31 am

Fantastic advice Mandie and oh so true.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby whit3tig3y » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:54 am

Oh man, i've been in ALL of those situations way too many times :( Its silly that we're treated differently just because we look different.

I've had things said (not to me, but within earshot) along the lines of when shopping for makeup one day I heard someone say "even if she had really expensive makeup she's too fat to look nice".

I was shopping for a shirt for my mum for her birthday and my mums like a size 10 and one of the store people came up and said "do you want me to show you where the bigger clothes are?"

Never being sat next to on a bus or train. And if theres absolutely no where else to sit they'll sit on the VERY edge and hold their arms in like i'll breath out and my fat will engulf them or something.

If I eat out anywhere, i swear people expect me to get some big order and if i dont they'll think i'll be back again later, or if i order for me and "ex" then the big order is mine and they'll turn to him and ask something about the smaller order to him not me. (i always have the smaller order).

When I was younger, my mum is VERY skinny and i unfortunately got my fathers genes and just stack on weight, i swear people would think my mum is so skinny because she cant afford to feed me AND her like i ate for 10 people or something :(

These are only SOME of them :(
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Postby mummy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:27 pm

My doctor told me that at 84 kgs I was OBESE (I'm only 5 foot 2 inches tall).

The biggest problem for me is that even when I've been slightly overweight my blood pressure goes through the roof.
I started dieting and exercising (ugh!) and got down to 62kgs about a year ago. Now I'm back up to 74kgs. Up until baby number 4 I was 55kg and my health was never a problem. But I've yoyo'd since then (the last 15 years).

I know that doesn't sound like a lot but I have a very small frame.

I eat only savoury foods and no bread (probably too much Sherry in the evening) but just can't shift the weight. I've read that at my age (44) your metabolism slows down.

Has anyone tried any of the medications/herbs that purport to speed up your metabolic rate?
mummy

Postby BeyondBeauty » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:41 am

I am around 103kgs. The problems I have are:

• Being unable to buy nice clothes off the rack that just FIT me
  • Being overlooked by men for my slimmer, prettier friends
  • Lacking to confidence to pursue those few men that don't overlook me
  • When I am in a relationship or a courtship and it ends, being told by my family that it's probably because of my weight
  • Being told by my mother that she will introduce me to her good looking new male employee "when I lose weight" (she is 51kg)
  • Being too embarassed to enjoy a swim at the pool during summer
  • Feeling guilty buying takeaway, even if it is a rare treat
  • Paranoia that people are staring at the contents of my trolley in the supermarket
  • Unable to regulate my menstrual cycle
  • Unable to buy a nice pair of knee-high boots because they won't zip up over my calves
  • Unable to buy sexy underwear

The most disheartening thing is that I don't feel like a fat person. I don't know what a fat person feels like, but when I see people who are my size or larger and I think to myself "I don't feel like I am that big"... at least, not until I look in the mirror.

Also, I haven't had a full length mirror in my house since I moved into it 18 months ago, when people stay over they ask why and I just tell them that I already know what I look like and can't be bothered... but the reality is, I simply don't want to see myself. Maybe it's time to buy one?

BB x x
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:41 am

BeyondBeauty wrote:Unable to buy a nice pair of knee-high boots because they won't zip up over my calves

Like over 60% of women cant wear boots there is a site that makes boots for bigger calves I will try and find it.

And ass for the sexy underwear Big W had lots of sexies in some bigger sizes I was wearing 16s from big dub at 102kgs. Also Bras and thngs.

I also dont have a full length mirror and I'm glad. I think If I did I would probably be very unhealthy and depressed by now.
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby BeyondBeauty » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:36 pm

yoyogirl88 wrote:
BeyondBeauty wrote:Unable to buy a nice pair of knee-high boots because they won't zip up over my calves

Like over 60% of women cant wear boots there is a site that makes boots for bigger calves I will try and find it.

And ass for the sexy underwear Big W had lots of sexies in some bigger sizes I was wearing 16s from big dub at 102kgs. Also Bras and thngs.

I also dont have a full length mirror and I'm glad. I think If I did I would probably be very unhealthy and depressed by now.

Oh, thanks yoyo, I would love to know the website!

Yes, I have some nice stuff from Target... but still, there's some VERY nice stuff that I see that's all in these tiny tiny little sizes and it's just so depressing.

I'm definitely going to get a full length mirror, but I'll hide it behind a door so I'm not confronted with it all the time... but I think it's important for me to be brave and see what everyone else sees when they look at me.
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Woot Found it http://www.wide-calf-boots.com And theres a link to another site on there as well.
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Czarina » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:07 pm

When I was Obese, I wouldn't go clothes shopping, I didn't see the point in buying nice new clothes if I was the size I was, it took a lot of convincing from my mum and wonderful boyfriend to get me down to Target. LOL! It is amazing how much better you feel when you do have some nice clothes that suit you at whatever size you are!

I basically became a hermit, I didn't want to see my friends, I was embarassed by my size, even though my partner told me constantly that I was beautiful, even that he hadn't noticed my weight-gain. My size held me back from a lot of good times and happy memories.

Now I am just 'overweight', and about 7kg away from the healthy weight range, and feel so much better about life. I think I will appreciate being fit and healthy much more after being obese.
Czarina

Postby Pandora » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:26 pm

i've mistreated people because i have been unhappy with myself, and let them mistreat me for the same reason. it has affected my self-esteem, and destroyed my self control. it has made me feel unworthy of so many good things, and deserving of all the censored stuff. i have never really known an 'age-appropriate' body. i hope that makes sense and doesn't offend. it's just that constantly being overweight has stretched and scarred my body everywhere, and i never really got to feel like a 'pretty young thing'.

when i was younger summer was always torture. the heat and the chafing and never feeling comfortable in clothes. it makes me feel unlovable to be honest, and it makes me destroy relationships and push men away.

it's so wrong that this physical manifestation of my emotional issues does this. i gotta learn self-respect and love. i know losing weight won't fix everything, but it will sure help so much of it.

thanks for the rant :D
pan xox
Pandora

Postby wombwarrior » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:19 pm

curvygirl , although this post is old, I just wanted to say I feel your pain. I think the first lesson of losing weight should be, loving ourselves, we need to love ourselves enough to want to lose the weight and love ourselves enough to keep it going as we deserve it.
wombwarrior

Postby Jisgone » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:42 pm

chub rub :(

hahaha
Jisgone

Postby conscientia » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:22 pm

I hate having to shop for older women's clothes when I am only 20
However, I did find this site:
http://www.torrid.com
Whilst a lot of it is not to my particular taste, it's nice to know I can find some 'young' clothes in my size :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqWyt8Z/]
[/url]

SW: 111.7 (07/11/08)
CW: 96.6 (6/04/09)
GW: 69
LTD: 15.1
conscientia

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous