It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Free Newsletter

The tale of lilmissfatso ...

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The tale of lilmissfatso ...

Postby lilmissfatso » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi Everyone

I didn't weigh in last week because I have had the worst digestive tract bug I have ever experience. I couldn’t fit into any of my clothes from bloating and felt damn horrible.

So I jumped on this morning for the regular weigh in, and although I had my 30th birthday and I had been sick I have lost 1.2 kilos. So that’s 600g per week. Under the circumstances I am stoked.

The great thing that has come out of being sick is that I am paying more attention to ‘feeding my body’ rather than just eating low fat.

I’m interested to see how I progress over the coming weeks, as come December I will be working full time, studying part time and running the household. Very soon though, our new puppy will be bigger and requiring longer walks, so it will be me wobbling along trying to keep two dogs under control, reading a text book and planning a shopping list as I go!

No rest for the wicked :D
Heaviest: 117kg (06) - got to 105kg
Oct 08 SW: 108.7
Mini Goal 1: 105kg on my 30th - done

Mini Goal 2: Under 100 before xmas

lilmissfatso

Postby tania2573 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:31 pm

well done on the loss.Sorry about the bug i hope your feeling better now.Take care
S.W 163.1 start date 19/2/2008
G.W 85
tania2573

Postby lilmissfatso » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:38 am

Hi all

Weighed in last Tuesday and I was 3 kg up. It was TTOTM, and I was really sick with it, so ignored it and put it down to the usual fluid retention. So, jumped on today and I'm 900g down. Not good for a fortnight, but considering how scary things looked last week, I can't complain.

Struggling at the moment, not in being good or anything like that. I've beenh aving some test and it seems that I'm having issues with some wheat products, not all, some meats etc.

I am thinking about, apart from my usual fruit and veg, centering a lot of my diet on nuts, legumes and the like. Does anyone have any advice or resources?

Thanks so much
Rach

lilmissfatso

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:26 am

Well, I follow a vegan diet which can pretty much be summed up at fruit, veg, nuts and legumes! There are some great vegan cookbooks out there, even if you only want to have a couple of meals a week animal product free. Your local library may stock some, which would save you having to buy anything. My favourite vegan recipe book is 'Vegan Cooking for One'. The meals are incredibly simple in it and easy to modify to your own tastes.

There are some terrific recipes on the following sites:

Fat free vegan. I particularly like the crustless mini tofu quiches. They taste a billion times better than they sound!
The McDougall Program 12 day plan with recipes. (This diet is high-carb low-fat and when I followed the book strictly for a few weeks I managed to gain weight. My results don't sound typical, though, and if you're not used to a vegan diet you should lose weight. Or you may want to stick with only using the occasional recipe.)

If it's a gluten intolerance you're experiencing there is an article in VegFamily about how to modify a vegan diet to be gluten free.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby lilmissfatso » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:28 am

Thank you so much! Great resource to have.

How long have you had a vegan diet? How do you find it works for you?

lilmissfatso

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:02 am

I've been vegetarian since I was about 8 and vegan since I was 21 or so. So I've followed a vegan diet for about thirteen years.

There are many who advocate vegetarianism/veganism for weight loss but to be honest I don't find it helps. I find I eat more because the food isn't as 'heavy' in my stomach and you need to eat more to feel full. Fine if you are eating mostly salads and/or steamed veggies but there are plenty of fatty unhealthy foods that are vegetable based. I should know, I managed to get up to 80kg while being vegan! The worst thing is that I had a severe B12 deficiency a few years ago (there are no vegetable sources of B12) which I would never wish on anyone.

It's not all bad though. It forces you to eat far more vegetables than you would do otherwise. And while I need B12 and calcium supplements I get huge amounts of other nutrients. It also stops you from eating a lot of crap food. I can't go to MacDonald's or eat creamy pastas. And because I can only eat soy chocolate it means I can't just pop into a Milk Bar and grab a bar of chocolate, I have to plan ahead for my treats far more than most people. Many vegetarians replace meat with more cheese, dairy and eggs. If you follow a vegan diet you can't help but eat more fruit and veggies because there's not much else you can rely on for taste!

While it hasn't helped me lose weight, I know that switching to vegetarianism/veganism has helped many others. The 'Skinny B1tch' books are based around a vegan diet. And statistically vegetarians are lighter than their meat-eating counterparts.

If you're curious about it I say try it for a week or so. Or maybe just a couple of meat-free nights per week. You'd be surprised how easy it is to have meatless meals.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:41 am

I just found this site for recipes too. Not only do they have vegan recipes, but some of them are low carb! Thought I'd share because lots of the stuff there looks super-yum.
EvilWombatQueen

Previous

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous