It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Free Newsletter

Hi.... I'm a complete newb here....

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Hi.... I'm a complete newb here....

Postby VanessaP » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:20 am

Hi.. My name is Vanessa.... and I'm here for the same reasons as everybody else.... LoL...

Just thought I might introduce myself as I'm kinda lost on this forum atm... It's the first time I have really looked for online support with my weight loss... I'm a stubborn mule that doesn't like admitting I need help... but considering I have been trying to lose weight all year, but keep letting myself down I figured it's obviously time to admit that I haven't really been succeeding, LoL...

I used to be a very happy 70kg, size 12, BC (before children), for many years... unfortunately due to complications & 2 cesareans my weight certainly got away from me... I reached 122kg at my heaviest, but managed to get back down to 85kg about 2 years ago... unfortunately it has increased back up to a depressing 104kg, and now I'm desperate... I have a lot of positive support here at home, but have trouble holding onto the motivation...... So I am hoping that being able to communicate with other people that understand everything that is going through my head may help...

Anyways... My main drive right now is that I want to get down to a reasonable weight before I turn 30 ... in January... My ultimate goal weight is to get under 70kg... but I am aiming in 5kg increments... so the first stop is 99kg... Hopefully the first hurdle of finally being under the 100 again will be good enough incentive to keep the ball rolling... LMAO... Any advice or anything is most welcome... I am trying to stick with the SureSlim diet that I am on... but it's not easy (especially when you have the flu, LoL) ... but I suppose they never are anyways... I think excercise is where I let myself down most though... So am trying to find the time management to allow for more... But mostly I think I just need to stop the excuses and get on with it... No matter how rational & logical my excuses may be.... they are still just excuses, and they aren't helping me any....

So on that note... I'm going to go and get me some much needed sleep... As I said,advice is most welcome... I have a few things I wouldn't mind discussing with people, but figured it would all be a bit much for a first post, so I'll wait until tomorrow maybe? LoL...

Can't wait to get to know you all, you sound like a wonderful bunch of people....

Vanessa

P.S where do you get those weight counter tag thingys? I want one!!!! LoL...
VanessaP

[/url]
VanessaP

Re: Hi.... I'm a complete newb here....

Postby Alexandra » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:14 am

Hi Vanessa,

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your weight loss goals. Motivation and keeping the weight off is the hard part, isn't it! :roll: Well, hopefully the motivation part you'll find here in bucket loads :D

As for your question regarding the counter tag thingy - ticker - I created mine (with the help of my husband :oops: ) from http://www.tickerfactory.com. In the forum, if you scroll down to the Special Topics section, there is a thread called Avatars and Signatures under 'Forum Help' which should help you!

Best wishes, Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby Slimamumma » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:37 pm

Welcome Vanessa :D

I am new around here too. I found this forum yesterday, and I just haven't been able to get off it since... :lol: Love reading all the posts!

I hope you find what you need here. Good luck with your weight loss journey, and hopefully I'll see you around!

Raquel xx
Method of Weight Loss - Optifast VLCD
SW - 81.7kg
CW- 78.8kg
GW - 60kg
Slimamumma

Postby VanessaP » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:53 pm

Thanx Raquel & Alexandra... Yeah, this place seems like it could be exactly what I've been needing to keep me focused... I'll go and have a look at that ticker thing later on... Thanx again :D

Now it's time to get on with it , LoL... :wink:
VanessaP

[/url]
VanessaP

Postby Czarina » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Welcome Vanessa!

My weight has been very up and down for my whole life, so I understand what's going on in your head. I find it hard to stay motivated and focused, without becoming obsessed. I would go from one extreme to the other. But, I'm a lot better now, and I think a lot of the credit for that has to go to this forum, CalorieKing and my wonderful, supportive boyfriend. It really does help to talk about it.

Getting back in those magic double figures is definitely good motivation, I know it was for me! I find seeing each new decade on the scales good incentive. Good Luck :D

See ya 'round!
Czarina

Postby tania2573 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi Welcome to the forum and good luck with your goals. :)
S.W 163.1 start date 19/2/2008
G.W 85
tania2573

Postby VanessaP » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:09 am

Okz... got the ticker working... now I just have to get it moving, LoL...

Thanx for the warm welcome... I have only just realised I completely missed the introduction thread and jumped straight in here... my apologies for being a dumb bum! LoL...

Anyways, I was doing a bit of research earlier and came across The Gabriel Method yet again, but gave it a bit more of my attention this time... I downloaded the first 3 chapters of the book, and I have to admit it's got my attention... enough to fork out and order the book anyways... will see what happens once I get it, but I was just wondering if anyone else had looked into it at all, and if anyone had any feedback, be it positive or negative... I honestly think a lot of it seems to be rather logical really, a much better way at looking at things rather than blaming yourself completely and being caught in that never ending circle... Anyways, was just curious about different opinions on this apparent method...
VanessaP

[/url]
VanessaP

Postby chucky » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi Venessa, Welcome. I am a newbie too. My goals seem alot like yours :D good luck with it all..

One thing I have noticed is that it is very important to come on every day and discuss how you feel. When I dont come online (which has been a lot) I eat crap. So its my aim now to come on and spend time on here every night. Loosing weight and quitting smokes is now my goal in life now so i can have healthy children... Anyway enough about me lol sorry

I have never heard of that author, what is he exactly?
MELANIE

13/10/08 - 88KG
GW: 70KG
chucky

Postby VanessaP » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanx Melanie... good luck with you also....

His name is Jon Gabriel, he is based in WA, Australia... apparently originally from the USA somewhere, but he weighed in at 180kg or there-abouts... had tried everything on the planet with barely a success... I think he is a bio-chemist or something... anyways, he used his own challenges as something to research an came across a lot of genetic programs within the human body and has apparently found a way to unlock the metabolism's tendency to slow down or "turn-off"...
I have only read the first 3 chapters, and am just waiting for my book to arrive so that I can understand it more completely... but so far it seems to be that as the human body evolved through out the ages, it has certain hormone/chemical responses to stress, anxiety, depression and fear... and they can all effect the standard metabolism... (Which would explain why I always seem to lose weight when I'm in a happy phase) As he so logically put, the hormones and metabolism or whatever seem to assume that because we skipped breakfast and lunch, and because we are not feeling the best emotionally within ourselves, that there must be some sort of threat inside our normal life (it doesn't understand that sometimes life just gets too hectic, LoL)... and the only threat the body can really understand is physical.... so for someone who regularly skips meals, the body thinks we must be experiencing a famine and slows down the metabolism to accommodate it so that any food eaten is digested/metabolised slowly and/or deposited straight into fat cells.... same goes for someone who doesn't get enough of the necessary nutrients each day... you might eat 5 meals a day, but unless those 5 meals regularly provide the necessary nutrients each day, your body just assumes that there is a limited resource of those necessary nutrients...
Anyways, that's as much as I have gathered at this point... will probably understand a lot more once I get the book... but at this early stage I must say I'm a tad impressed... as he said, humans have been evolving for thousands of years, but it's only really been the last 100 years that we have had to deal with convenience/fast foods and additives & preservatives etc, so our bodies really haven't even begun to evolve enough to adjust to the modern day lifestyle...
VanessaP

[/url]
VanessaP

Postby chucky » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:31 pm

Wow sounds like a good read. I will google him after dinner
MELANIE

13/10/08 - 88KG
GW: 70KG
chucky

Postby VanessaP » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:35 pm

Sorry... LoL... always remember something after you hit submit eh? LoL...

Jon Gabriel is apparently VERY anti-diet... it's more lifestyle and listening to the needs of your own body... I think his logic sits in the area of ... If you're dieting and feeling hunger pains, your body is not happy... and once that has gone on for "X" amount of time, you're body once again decides there must be a food shortage because your ignoring your bodies reminder to eat... and why on earth would you do that unless you had no choice? so it goes into storing mode there too... I don't think he's one of these people that encourages eating as much of whatever that you want, it appears to be more about learning to translate your bodies cravings for things that you know are unhealthy for you, whether its your body trying to tell you that you require more empty carbs so that you can survive the famine it has assumed you are experiencing or whether it's because you have such a low intake of nutrients it doesn't want you to feel energetic because it needs you to conserve energy for ordinary tasks....

I am probably assuming and reading a lot into it from my own interpretation, but it sounds good to me, LoL...

He also encourages a lot of visualisation to trick your body back into realising that there is no food shortage etc... I don't know how I will go with that one, LoL... I am currently doing a SureSlim program which is fantastic... but not easy, but from what he says I should be able to incorporate his body management strategies along with my current eating plan... They don't seem to be completely different, but Gabriel seems to put a lot of emphasis on internal programming, not just food choices...

If you do a google search it should show up straight away, I would recommend those first few chapters if it seems like something you could have an interest in... but apart from that... I'll let you know once I have read the book... I'm taking such a slow start to all of this again at the moment... but this method has me a little bit excited... I've always been a believer in mind over matter, but I didn't realise I was letting my matter rule my mind, LoL...
VanessaP

[/url]
VanessaP

Postby Ophir » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:22 pm

Welcome Vanessa and good luck. Take everything one step at a time :) Im getting started on things again after loosing 15kg, then putting 16kg back on.
Ophir

2 weeks in..:)

Postby sharnz1 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:46 pm

When I first read the book I thought man this is too good to be true... a week into it and not worrying about what I eat, I actually put on the two kilos I lost, (which took me ages by the way) apparently this was the rebound effect Jon explains in his book from coming off a diet, I was a little worried that it might not work, however I kept up with the visualisations and listening to the cd and within 4 days I noticed that I really craved healthy foods, practically salads and I now drink 600 mls of water every 30 min, I cannot go without it, I also try to walk at least 30 mins a day, which I think personally speeds up the weight loss. In the book Jon tells us that when your body wants to burn fat you will crave more water, and so 4 days later I had actually lost the 2 kilos I put on and another .5kg..I was so excited. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to lose weight without the worry of dieting; you won’t have to worry about what you eat for the rest of your life because your body would want to crave healthy foods anyway. :P :mrgreen: :lol: :D :) :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :wink:
sharnz1

Postby VanessaP » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:41 pm

It's great to hear from someone who has actually read it.... of course I read some of the testimonials... But I had a bit of a giggle when I saw a testimonial from a doctor who said she recommends it to all of her "patience".... so I wasn't quite sure how reliable the testimonials actually were....

So when did you buy the book and how long before you started putting it into practice?

It really does sound like it could work for me... I think I'm expecting the book to arrive mid next week or something... So at the moment I'm trying to use my excitement to quit smoking, LoL... having whooping cough is sorta helping that along... gone from 20 a day down to 3 now.... it would probably be none if my BF didn't smoke... because those 3 are all after he gets home from work, LoL... more of that will power n determination needed, LoL... am wondering if I can apply the fundamentals of the Gabriel Method to help with the smoking too, HaHaHa... now I'm just wishful thinking I reckon, LoL...
VanessaP

[/url]
VanessaP

Postby Slimamumma » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:26 am

Hi Vanessa,
I did exactly the same thing as you, heard about Jon Gabriel, got REALLY excited, went into town and bought the book that day, started reading it, got confused with all the chemistry stuff he was talking about, put it down and didn't pick it up again!!
Now that I have had a bit of a flip through it again, I might read it again. I actually did read it from beginning to end last time and thought that the visualisation stuff sounded good. I was very interested in "turning off my fat switch" and "making my body want to be thin" and "using visualisation to kill food addictions"...but I got turned off by all the suppliments, etc. For example, here is his One Month Checklist - a CD player with Headphones, A picture of your ideal body, probiotics, digestive enzymes, multi-vitamins, omega-3 suppliments, fresh produce - preferably locally grown, in season and organic.

Look anyway, each to their own. I am thinking I might read it again and mark all the pages I am interested in and just use those with what I am doing! Oh, and I might even listen to the CD, if only I could find our player....

Good luck with it Vanessa, let me know what you think of it after you have read it!!!

Raquel xx
Method of Weight Loss - Optifast VLCD
SW - 81.7kg
CW- 78.8kg
GW - 60kg
Slimamumma

Next

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous