It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Free Newsletter

Yellowroses' weight loss blog

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Yellowroses' weight loss blog

Postby yellowroses » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:19 pm

I've been making excuses for myself for over a year now. I've put on about 8kgs in that year, when I could have lost between 26 - 52kg. I've tried - I bought a treadmill, I joined a gym, I bought a bike, I've tried the shakes, I've spent loads of money on protein bars and pills to help stop sugar cravings. In the past year I have spent around $3000 on things to try to help me lose weight.

But I've lost sight of why I'm doing it, and who I'm doing it for. My husband likes me big, he knows it's unhealthy, and while he says that yes I am fat - I'm still beautiful. I agree - I am beautiful, inside and out. But I'm not healthy, and beauty won't mean squat if I die of a heart attack at the age of 30 like my uncle did. There are so many things in my every day life that I'm sick of:

* Chairs with the arms on them, because I have to shove my butt in so I can sit down. Solution? Make my butt smaller.
* I can't find clothes that accentuate my good bits and hide my gross bits while also making me feel my age. Solution? Make them all good bits.
* I puff and wheeze just getting out of bed. Solution? Take weight off my lungs, and quit smoking.
* My hips, knees and ankles are starting to always hurt. Solution? Take weight off of them.
* I'm always fatigued and my brain doesn't want to work. Solution? Exercise more - it will release endorphins.

From these 5 things I'm sick of daily I can see three clear solutions: Eat better, exercise more and quit smoking.

Easier said than done right? Right. So how do I go about doing this? How do I keep myself motivated? What will help me help myself? How can I not give myself excuses anymore?

1) I need to hold myself accountable. Within this blog I WILL hold myself accountable, every single day. I will record my thoughts, feelings, my eating habits, exercise habits, and even my AF cycle (because this affects my eating and I know it!). This will enable me to NOT give myself excuses - they're all bullsh*t and I know it deep down. Perhaps it will keep me motivated as well.
2) I will do it slowly, with baby steps, but I need to change my worst habits first. That's how I'm going to go about this, and give me a focus.

I need to do something so that I can physically SEE the weight that I'm losing. So my plan is that with every gram I lose, I will measure this out in water and put this into bottles. As I go along, I will see the first kilogram, the 5th kilogram, the 20th kilogram and finally the 50th kilogram. These will be my motivation. If I want to fall off the wagon, or if I begin to, I can look at these bottles, hold them, and remind myself that THAT is how far I have come, and do I really want to go backwards? I will also post pictures on my blog monthly to see my body changing. I NEED to stay motivated.

I have been telling myself for years that my weight is due to my metabolism being slow. I actually researched metabolism speed the other day: bigger people's metabolism is generally faster than a skinny persons. The ways to increase metabolism in the short term are through short bursts of exercise: say half an hour of walking. In the long term, it is to develop muscle. My Resting Metabolic Rate is 2070 which means that my maximum daily intake of calories is 2300, and minimum is 2070 before my body goes into starvation mode. Weird huh? I found it slightly strange, but ok. All this time I've been trying to keep my calorie intake down at around 1600! As I lose weight these numbers will slowly come down.

The main thing to remember is that this is for me, for my health and for my longevity.

Every Sunday will be my weigh in day and I will write my goals for the following week. So this week my goals are:

- Exercise for 30minutes (either all together or in intervals) a day, 3 times this week. This is to get rid of my worst habit: Leading a sedentary lifestyle.
- Eat fruit or low-fat yoghurt instead of ice-cream. My second worst weakness: sweets.
- Eat 6 small meals a day, however still eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. Snack on fruit, tuna, low-fat protein/fruit bars or protein shakes. My second worst habit: Starving myself for hours, and then binge eating.

My weight today, after eating, was 125.5kg. I will update this tomorrow morning and give a weight before eating.

Today:

AF: CD 14.

Eating Habits: Have eaten only two meals so far. I ate breakfast at 8am, after being awake all night. I then slept from 12pm until 6.45pm and after waking I ate dinner at about 7.30. Breakfast consisted of 2 souvlaki wraps with tuna in springwater, tomato, lettuce, onion, avocado, olives, light cheese (1 slice each), and 97% fat free mayonnaise. Dinner consisted of 2 eggs and Lean Cuisine's Beef and Mushroom frozen meal. Calories in total: 1274.

Exercise Habits: At 5am I jogged/walked around the backyard for 10 minutes. I would walk for 90 seconds, and then jog for 30 seconds, and continued this for the full 10 minutes. At 8.30pm I went for a bike ride as fast and as hard as I could for 20 minutes. Total Calories Burnt: 263.

Thoughts/Feelings: I feel I ate fairly well today, and don't feel as though I overate or underate. I am feeling hungry at the moment and may have a snack before going to bed at about 3am. I am proud that I exercised, however I feel completely crap now. My muscles hurt, my hips, my wrist, my ankle and my knees are all complaining. But I don't care. I'm going to push these guys so that I don't die, they will have to get used to it eventually, and now is better because I am young. I am surprised that I only weigh 125.5kg as I have gone off the rails the last few weeks and have been eating chocolate non-stop and drinking terrible things like coke! The last time I actually ate well and weighed myself I was 128kg, and I felt as though I had actually put on weight and was expecting to be around 130kg if not more.

I am looking forward to this week, and my motivation is high.

Until tomorrow,
Lisa.
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Re: Yellowroses' weight loss blog

Postby Czarina » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Hey Lisa, welcome back!

It sounds like you're finally ready for a lifestyle change and not a diet! That's the way! I know it took me a while to figure it out. If you haven't already, maybe you should check out calorieking.com.au, you can get a profile made for your height, weight, etc, to tell you how many calories you need, etc. It also has great tools to keep track of everything. I love it! I couldn't believe that you actually need to eat a fair bit to lose weight, even after losing almost 25kg this year by counting calories, I still can't believe that I don't have to go hungry to lose weight! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Good luck! :D
Czarina

Postby curvygirl » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:41 pm

Hey Yellow and nice to see you back. You can do this you know you can. If you want to you will and it sounds like you do want it. From July this year I have gone from 119 kilos down to 99. It has made a huge difference in my life. I feel better and if I say so myself I look better. Just make your goals small and acheiveable and that will help you to get to them
Good luck and I will be watching your blog with interest.
How did you work out your metabolic rate. I would love to do that.
Merry Christmas and best of luck for 2009.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby yellowroses » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:15 pm

CurvyGirl - Just google RMR calculator. There are a lot of crap ones, but there's a few good ones.

End of yesterday:
Found myself super super hungry, so I ate a protein bar as a snack. And then I had a mango about 40mins later when I still felt hungry. 40 mins after that I STILL felt hungry, so had an apple and two massive glasses of water. Half an hour after that I was still hungry, so I at two salad sandwiches with a little bit of roast chicken on it. Got to sleep at 6.30am.

Today:
AF: CD 15

Woke up at 9.30am to go to a funeral. It was so sad, and I was bawling my eyes out.

Eating habits: I ate A LOT of crap today. Before going to the funeral I had two small slices of burek - a wog slice made from ricotta cheese, spinach and filo type pastry. When we came home (there was no wake) I had pasta and cabbage (with a small amount of butter and pepper in it) with 3 eggs. Dinner I had a salad, steak, and a whole bunch of deep fried potato. Then after dinner I had like 10 ferraro rochers (sp?) :( I don't know how many calories that is - I'm too scared to calculate them :( I'm gonna have a sore tummy soon...

Exercise habits: Didn't do any exercise because my muscles are killing me from yesterday. I did go shopping after the funeral though for clothes, and spent an hour and a half changing clothes - I was sweating by the end and it was super hot outside as well, I think that counts as exercise :p

Thoughts/Feeling: I feel so incredibly crap today. Lack of sleep + funerals = sad :( I couldn't get up any energy to physically do much, hence sitting in front of the TV eating the ferraro rochers mindlessly... I didn't get a chance to weigh myself when I woke up, so I'll have to do it tomorrow. Tomorrow WILL be a better day, I know it. I will exercise whether my muscles are sore or not! And I will control myself around the more fattening foods!!! I can do this because I know I'm worth it.

I'm going to sleep now - I'm completely exhausted, and need to to a massive load of studying tomorrow!

I'm taking back my life.
yellowroses

Postby mumnbub » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:06 am

Hi Yellowrose- you are doing well, it may not feel like it yet but you will. You have made some positive changes- just changing your mindset is a great start. Do you plan your meals? it will make it easier to stick to your healthy eating when you know what your having. I also recommend getting rid of all bad food in the house, or, if its there for other people have them store it away where you cant get to it that way if you dont have it you cant eat it :D
Just take it one day at a time and you will get there. Good on you for chosing to quit smoking- that in itself is a major lifestyle change! you will be feeling fantastic soon and my guess is you will start sleeping better.

Will be reading your blog regually, you have motivated me today so thank you :)
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Czarina » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:36 pm

Don't beat yourself up for eating badly after a funeral, it's one of those days where weight loss isn't that important.

On a lighter not, I don't blame you for the Burek, it's one of my weaknesses, I mean, what's not to like? Cheese, spinach, pastry, oil, salt...I'm making myself hungry here!

Hope you're doing well.
Czarina

Postby yellowroses » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:20 am

Well today was ok, not great, but ok. I fell asleep about 30minutes after posting last night and woke up at 10am this morning :oops: I've gotten a bit of study done - I at least finished a module! I've got 4 more to go before I've caught up and can start on my assignments - hopefully that'll be done by the end of the week because next week the mid-semester break is OVER! Grr... Summer semesters suck - trying to squeeze in 12 weeks of work into 10 weeks isn't cool!

Anyway, Today:
AF: CD 16

Eating Habits: I ate breakfast like a king (massive salad with tuna - I resisted the cheese but the mayonnaise sang to me), lunch like a prince (mushroom tortellini frozen meal with 2 eggs and some bread to mop up the sauce... too many carbs!!), and dinner like a pauper (potato skins stuffed with bacon, avocado, onion and a bit of potato). My snacks consisted of protein bars and mangos :D All in all, my total calorie intake for today was 2404. Not fantastic - over my 2300 limit...

Exercise habits: I went to the gym! I haven't been since August when my hip started going all crap, but I rode there, and went for a 30 minute 'swim' - about 20 minutes of swimming and 10 minutes of treading water to catch my breath. I was still proud of myself - add my 20 minutes of actual swimming to the 15 minutes it took to ride there and back, and I got in 35 minutes of solid exercise. I could feel my lungs and muscles working. Total calories burnt: 444.

Thoughts/Feelings: I can feel that I'm becoming more energetic, and I can feel my muscles working. It hurts, but I don't care. This is for my own good and I know that in time they will get used to it. I feel bad that I can't stick to my calorie intake and I think I need to cut down my meal sizes. My biggest weaknesses at the moment are avocados, bread, olives, eggs and mayonnaise. If I can cut down on the amount of eggs, bread and mayonnaise I'm having I think I can stick within my 2300 a day limit, and hopefully get down to 2070. Once I've done that and I start losing more and more weight I'll have to cut down my portion sizes. I'm going to try eating cereal in the morning with yoghurt and fruit and see how long it keeps me full for. In the past I've felt hungry after that kind of breakfast alone, and usually having half a protein shake makes me feel fuller for longer. That's 533 calories though... but if I have a salad for lunch (450 calories without mayo) and a small frozen meal for dinner that should be ok - about 1300 calories without snacks. Ok, I'll try that for breakfast! I'm worried about my studies and starting to get stressed out about them, hopefully this doesn't affect my eating at all - but hopefully with the gym I'll be more focused. I noticed today when I got back from the gym I felt more mentally able, and not lethargic and in that 'couldn't be bothered' mood that I'm usually in.

I'm taking back my life.
yellowroses

Postby yellowroses » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:17 am

Whoops I'm 2 hours late tonight, oh well.

Today was good. I woke up really late though - 12pm :? Anyway, had a good day :D

Eating Habits: Breakfast I had special k, vanilla yoghurt and banana - after that I was totally full and couldn't muster the strength to down half a protein shake. Lunch I had a massive tuna salad - this time without mayo :D I was soo tempted by it and cheese as well... but I resisted and I'm glad I did because it was sooo awesome! Dinner I had maccas - BUT I resisted the urge to get everything fattening and the largest stuff on the menu, instead I got a lean beef burger, small fries and a large diet coke. For desert I had a small slice of icecream log that our guests brought over and some lemonade - but overall it was an excellent excellent day - my total calorie intake was 1623!!! Less than the last three days :D I'm so proud!

Exercise habits: No exercise today. The gym was closed by the time I woke up (they've got weird hours atm), and to add to that my back and neck really really hurt - I think I had a pinched nerve and it hurt to bend or move my head much. So I sat in bed all day studying (which I'm so glad I did because I got 3 modules out of the way - yes 3!!!).

Thoughts/Feelings: I am feeling GOOOOOODDD!! I am so incredibly proud of myself :D I fought battles today, and won! I was tempted to get my usual at maccas because 'It's Christmas', I had an inner battle going on in my brain with one side saying 'Go on, do it, it's just one meal'. The other side was like 'No! Don't do it! It's a test!'. But I learnt a valuable lesson - I could still have what I liked, just in smaller portions. I also put the burger and the chips on a plate so that I could see how much I was eating, and it pretty much looked like a normal sized meal. Generally when I go to maccas I'll have 3 burgers, large chips, large drink, and a sundae and then afterwards feel so full I can barely move... It's oily and gross and makes me feel like crap afterwards - I have no idea why I do that to myself!! I am also so proud that I didn't go over my calorie limit, and that I'm not even hungry! I think I'm onto something with this big breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner thing! Although, in all fairness, my meals were pretty close together - 'breakfast' at 12.30pm, 'lunch' at 4pm and dinner at 7pm. Although after that I haven't felt hungry... I'll see how I go tomorrow (if I wake up at a reasonable hour). Luckily we're not really celebrating Christmas, we're having chicken and mango salad for lunch and that's about it. It's boxing day I have to worry about - it's DH's and FILs Name Day (which is bigger than Christmas, Easter and Birthdays combined) - and we're having a massive BBQ with lots of alcohol and lots of people :? I'm going to try really hard to resist all the yummy wog sweets that will be there... and the massive amounts of yummy BBQd chicken with the char-grilled skins... *drool* NO! Lol. See how I go :)

I'm taking back my life.
yellowroses

Postby yellowroses » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:49 am

Whoops, and just had two tomato, onion, cheese and avocado toasted sandwiches. Brings my daily total up to 2191 which is still 109 calories below my daily maximum :) It hit the spot though :)

I watched a horror movie the other day and now I can't sleep - I'm scared!!! Doesn't help that there's a cat that meows really loudly in our neighbourhood and it seems as though it's screaming 'help' over and over.. creeps me out!

I'm taking back my life.
yellowroses

Postby yellowroses » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:46 am

Christmas day:

Eating Habits: Went pretty well. I had two chicken and mango salads (one for lunch, one for dinner) and a bit of 3 layer cake (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry with chocolate cream icing). Didn't go over my calorie limit.

Exercise Habits: None.

Boxing Day:

Omg... name day for DH and FIL!!

Eating Habits: Ate sooo much potato salad. I made it myself and it was fricken awesome. I had some BBQd chicken and a bit of pork, and about 5 dinner rolls, and plenty of mixed salad. Had another piece of cake.

Exercise habits: none.

Today so far:

Not so great. I'm coming down with the flu. I keep getting hot/cold flushes, I've got a runny nose and severe sneezing :( I've eaten more potato salad and 2 toasted sandwiches with tomato, onion, cheese and some mayo. I'm probably not going to lose any weight this week. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm still around 125.5 :( I was hoping to get down officially to 125... guess I'll see tomorrow! Update later on tonight :)

I'm taking back my life.
yellowroses

Postby milkyway » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:08 pm

Hope you're feeling better ASAP Yellowroses. It's awful when you get sick during your weightloss journey because that's when you're most likely to turn to comfort foods. Stay strong.

It's good to see you so motivated - it's really inspiring. All the best for your weigh in tomorrow.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby yellowroses » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:40 am

End of Saturday:

Eating Habits: Dinner I had rice/tomato/mince/bacon concoction made by DH - it was pretty healthy, but I ate way too much!

Exercise Habits: Slept most of the day, so didn't do any exercise.

Today:
AF: CD 22

Eating Habits: Breakfast I had special k with vanilla yoghurt and a banana. Lunch I had sushi (salmon and chicken) and some vanilla bean gelati. Dinner I had 2 sandwiches with egg, bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, and olives. DH made it for me... :roll:

Exercise Habits: No official exercise, but did run around Highpoint and tried on clothes for 2 and a half hours! I was sweating by the end of it!

Thoughts/Feelings: Starting to get better from the flu, I think it was just a minor head cold thank goodness! Feel upset that for the last 3 days I've been eating badly, too many carbs and fats and not enough fruit and veg!! :oops: I think I have to give myself a bit of a break though - it was Christmas/Boxing Day/Name Day - the supermarkets haven't been open and we have literally nothing healthy in our household! We're eating stale bread :( There's tonnes of cakes and biscuits all over the kitchen table which I feel pretty happy that I've resisted mostly (I've had a couple of little biscuits that are hollowed out and stuffed with apricot jam and rum). I also feel bad that I didn't go to the gym yesterday morning, but I really wasn't feeling well. NEXT WEEK I WILL DO BETTER!!!!! I can also feel the water retention in my body from the impending AF, and the cramping is giving me hell :(

WEEK OVERVIEW:

- Exercise for 30minutes (either all together or in intervals) a day, 3 times this week.
- I exercised twice, which I am proud of - a big improvement from regular life.

- Eat fruit or low-fat yoghurt instead of ice-cream. - Mostly did this. I had some 95% fat free gelati today, it was good. Most of the time during the week though, whenever I had sweet cravings or was super hungry I had fruit or yoghurt.
- Eat 6 small meals a day, however still eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. Snack on fruit, tuna, low-fat protein/fruit bars or protein shakes. - I think I did this pretty well in the beginning!! I found that it really made a difference with how much I wanted to eat at night, and I wasn't all that hungry during the day.

Thoughts/Feelings about the week:
I feel really good. While I didn't stick to all my goals to a tee, I still made an effort, and that's the main thing! I'm super proud of myself, that I went to the gym and made myself exercise. I noticed that when I was eating healthily and exercising, I felt motivated during the day to do other things, like study or do housework. I had more energy than normal, which was noticeable. I weighed myself this morning and was 125.3kg (before eating), which is a 200g drop from my initial weight at the beginning of the week - which was after eating. I'm sure that this is because of the crap that I've been eating the last couple of days, and because of water retention.

So, my goals for this coming week (29th - 4th):

Pretty much the same as last week:
- Exercise for 30minutes (either all together or in intervals) a day, 3 times this week. This is to get rid of my worst habit: Leading a sedentary lifestyle.
- Eat fruit or low-fat yoghurt instead of ice-cream. My second worst weakness: sweets.
- Eat 6 small meals a day, however still eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. Snack on fruit, tuna, low-fat protein/fruit bars or protein shakes. My second worst habit: Starving myself for hours, and then binge eating.

Baby steps and forming new habits right?

I am also changing my calorie limit from maximum 2300 to 2200, I'm hoping that this will help bring down my weight a little bit this week. I would really like to be in the 124s by Sunday!!

I'm taking back my life.
yellowroses

Postby yellowroses » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:24 pm

Monday:

AF: CD 23

Eating Habits: I didn't eat much today, I mostly drank all my calories... Breakfast I had 2 eggs, some bacon, on 4 pieces of toast with some natural yoghurt. Lunch I had 100g of pitos (sour cream and chives), and dinner I had baked lamb with almond and mustard coating with some lettuce salad. I also drank 3L of Pineapple juice throughout the day. I then had a small piece of cake - and stopped halfway through coz I found a dog hair baked into it! All in all, yesterday I consumed 2704 calories - 404 over my calorie limit :(

Exercise Habits: None. Still not feeling great, and my muscles hurt - I'm itching to go to the gym but I keep coughing and sneezing.

Thoughts/Feelings: The amount of crap that I'm eating combined with lack of exercise is really getting to me. I feel upset because I've failed, and I can't get motivated to do my uni work because my brain just isn't clear, and I really really need to. I'm starting to feel stressed out, and I can't go to sleep until 6 or 7 in the mornings because I'm up all night thinking thinking thinking. I hate going off the rails this early!!! I always do this - I start out strong, motivated, and then something will happen and I will go off the rails... to think that I joined here 14 months ago - at 120kg - I could have lost all the weight by now if I had've stuck to my guns :( What makes it worse is that I felt that I worked hard last week - and I had nothing to show for it :(

I'm taking back my life.
yellowroses

Postby think - thin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:34 pm

I love the way you have set your blog out....

Your doing well, thats great !!!!
JESSIKA

Start Weight (2.1.09) 89.6kg
29.3.09 - 84.4kg
18.4.09 - 87.3kg :(
Total Loss : 5.2kg
think - thin

Postby yellowroses » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:18 am

Last few days haven't been too great - my cycle is screwing up my eating patterns, not to mention the fact that I've been going to bed at 8am and getting up at 4pm :( So I'm going to try to get my sleeping pattern back in order, and hopefully once my PMS is gone I will stop craving chocolate and fatty foods - I will report back on Sunday and start again then.

Just hoping I don't put on weight - I'm still eating OK - plenty of salads and cutting back on deserts, but I've been drinking hot chocolate and eating marshmallows and bacon so much :?

I'm taking back my life.
yellowroses

Next

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous