It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Free Newsletter

Uni student life... Interim aim to lose 13 kgs

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Uni student life... Interim aim to lose 13 kgs

Postby newt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 pm

G'day all

I was always the correct weight for height until approx age 15... then went from about 60kgs upwards upwards upwards until my high at about age 18 of 96kgs. Now I live on-campus at university, interstate from all my family and school friends. All my meals are catered at uni - at any time during the day I can choose to eat at any one of four restaurants/cafes on campus. All the foods you can imagine. So, simply choosing the healthiest food and not overeating at uni is one of my largest challenges!

Last year at uni I dedicated myself to losing some weight and I went from 96kgs down to 83kgs, but haven't done much since then unfortunately. A lot of yo-yoing between about 78kgs and 85kgs. I must say I'm sick of it!!! :evil: I think of all the time since last year that I could have been working productively on losing and I get rather ashamed! :oops: I have to get to 70kg then down to 60kg.

So now I am a 20 y.o., 163.5cm, 83kg student! :shock:

But first thing is first and that is getting down to 70kgs!! 8)

I don't really have a set timeframe but I would be hoping for around 1kg/week.

Cheers everyone!
SW: 97 kg
CW: 79 kg
1st goal: 76 kg
newt

Re: Uni student life... Interim aim to lose 13 kgs

Postby Julz » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:28 pm

Good on you newt for making the decision to lose weight now. I was the same as you, was at a healthy weight until I was about 15/16 then my weight went up and up and up. You are still young so theres no better time to start looking after yourself, you won't regret it. I wish I took control of my weight while I was much younger :oops:

The 1kg a wek goal is healthy loss but don't get down on yourself if it is a smaller loss, any loss is good and its better to lose it slowly because theres bmore chance it will stay off :D

I wish you all the best in reaching your goals :)
Julz

Postby court » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:29 am

good luck Newt..I remember Uni being a time when I ballooned up to 92kg!! And at a mere 159cm tall I was very much overweight.. :shock: But now, thinking back, there were options for me to eat healthy! I remember salad bars and sandwich stations where you could make all sorts of salad rolls etc...We had a japanese cafe that sold fresh sushi and rice paper rolls etc. I am sure you can do it! :D It will just take plannign in advance every day of which cafe you will choose, and what you will eat! Good luck and keep us posted :D
court

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Good luck, Newt! I'm a uni student too and I know how easy it is to put on weight while studying. Does your uni have a gym at your campus? If so you might want to look into how much their memberships cost. Our uni has incredibly cheap gym memberships for students, but sadly that's only at the main campus. My piddly little campus has nothing on offer. :(

Another thing to look into would be the clubs and societies. They may have a weight loss club, but if not there's often options like bushwalking or running.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby newt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:25 pm

Cheers guys for the support :wink:

Yep have joined the gym... also there is a canal/river network near my uni so I'm starting to go for big walks around it. Nice to be out in the outdoors 8)

Anyway I will post back in a week's time with how I'm going.

Must get onto assignments now :evil:

Good luck everyone!!
newt

Postby newt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:16 am

Gday all
Just a quick update, I'm down to 80 kg.
Cheers 8)
newt

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Well done, Newt! Keep up the good work! :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby yoyogirl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:14 pm

My story is exactly the same as yours. My weight has been constantly ascending with some 'yo-yoing' in between when i've tried to diet and exercise.
Well done for getting to 80kg. That's very inspiring. Today is my second day of this 'phase' of dieting. Hopefully this time round, there is no upward rebound.
Cheers
yoyogirl

Postby newt » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks! I'm 79.0 kg now.

Yoyogirl, good luck. It's not easy, but it's worth it!

For me the hardest thing was setting realistic time frames for losing weight. So make some small goals and focus on one step at a time 8)

Cheers all
newt

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous