It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:19 am

Free Newsletter

I've invented a new weight-loss "game" ;)

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

I've invented a new weight-loss "game" ;)

Postby fifteensixtyfive » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:14 am

It's called the "Wow, that looks healthy!" game. So, here's the story...

I work in an office with a big fridge and a nice area to prepare/eat meals. I usually get to work a bit early so I can whip up some breakfast which usually consists of something like whole oats with fruit and a cup of tea. I usually have vegetables, etc in the fridge to prepare a salad or sandwich for lunch. I also snack a bit on fruit/veg throughout the day.

My "game" is basically to count the number of times someone catches me eating and says "wow, that looks healthy!", or some variation of the phrase. If I "collect" at least 25 over the course of the week, I treat myself to something that weekend. It's usually something like an audiobook, a magazine or some bargain bin nail polish. I treated myself to an iphone app (one of the pricier ones) tonight. They are indeed little rewards but they certainly add up! :)

Aaaaanyway, I've lost about 14 kilos since I started taking my health seriously and now I won't even consider going back to my old habits of grabbing a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast on the way to work and alternating fried noodles and burgers for lunch. 16 kilos to go until I reach my goal!!

-fif
-I'm one third of the way there and still going strong!! -27 July 2010
-I'm one fifth of the way there and still going strong!! -16 May 2010

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wA7qUBE/]
[/url]
fifteensixtyfive

Re: I've invented a new weight-loss "game" ;)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:21 pm

Oooooohhhhh! I LIKE this game!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby e&me » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:13 pm

sounds like a great game to play! I would try it but there is no one to say anything in my house other then my son who is only 3
1/01/2011 Start week
8/01/2011 Week 1
15/01/2011 Week 2
22/01/2011 Week 3
29/01/2011 Week 4
5/02/2011 Week 5
12/02/2011 Week 6
19/02/2011 Week 7
26/02/2011 Week 8
5/03/2011 Week 9
12/03/2011 Week 10
19/03/2011 Week 11
26/03/2011 Week 12
e&me

Postby fifteensixtyfive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Heh heh. Sooooo, my little game has had an interesting side-effect. Let me start by saying that this past week has been very low on the food compliments. In fact, as of this evening I've only had TWO compliments. Bah! It is entirely my fault but I don't consider it a failure, for one important reason...

I indulged in a bit of (more like a slab of) chocolate cake, which I ate at my desk at work on Monday. More than one person walked by and said variations of "hmm, I didn't think you ever ate stuff like that!"

That's when it hit me that, voila, I've developed a reputation at work for being a healthy eater. Yay!!!! Now my mission is to work to keep my reputation. No more chocolate cake at my desk and back on the Calorie king wagon as of this morning! I'm very satisfied with my level of physical activity but I've been stuck at the same weight for far too long and need to start losing again.

I'm 1 kg away from being half-way to my goal and I'm shooting for the full 25 compliments next week!

[/url]
fifteensixtyfive

Postby Sooz77 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:17 pm

I love your game, what a brilliant way to keep yourself motivated and creative with healthy lunches!!

My problem is that once I find something that I like that's easy and convenient then I tend to stick to it like glue...today is my 3rd day this week having tuna salad for lunch. :?
Next week it'll probably be chicken salad and the week after I might go wild and have couscous! :lol:
Sooz77

Postby Louisa89 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:53 am

I think you just had a genius idea!! Really! I mean, the compliment "points are a great way to a) measure how you are doing - if you receive more compliments it is because you have made a change in lifestyle and eating and people notice that, b) make others aware of their own health, c)create a good reputation which will give you extra motivation to continue. The rewarding part is also a very good way not to let you motivation lower.
I think I am going to try the same thing at my office, but I´ll prepare the food at home (the kitchen here is not that big for everyone).

@ Sooz77---> you are not the only one, be sure! :)
Louisa89

Postby annapoet » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 pm

I love the idea of this game! Given my new way of eating (I want to lose about 30kgs), I get this a lot so now I am going to start counting. I am glad I have found this board and support group - I have been looking for something for ages. Warm regards from Perth, C.

http://carolynwantstoshrink.wordpress.com/
annapoet

Postby fifteensixtyfive » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks so much for all of the support!!! You guys rock :)

I had another very motivating moment the other day. One of my neighbours mentioned that she had turned down the morning tea goodies she had been offered at work that morning because my progress has inspired her to try to lose weight. I was nearly floored by this statement! Speaking as a person who used to microwave her meals for 4 minutes and 33 seconds because she was too lazy to move her finger the distance required to set the timer to 4:30, that was a huge compliment!!!

Cheers again!!
-fif

[/url]
fifteensixtyfive

Postby fifteensixtyfive » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Remembering back to my "too lazy to input microwave times properly" habit (mentioned above) I now remember one particulary bad past eating habit. A few years ago, while living in the US, I used to go to McDonald's for lunch almost every day and always ordered the same thing-- a double quarter pounder with cheese, large fries and a large coke. If that wasn't bad enough, I got to a point where I would time my lunch breaks based on who was most likely to be working at the drive-thru window (some people were considerably slower than others at taking/delivering orders)!!!! I'd also drive to a parking lot near where I worked and ate alone in my car. I sometimes took a nap afterwards. Needless to say, the weight piled on very quickly.

Now I'm proud to put my lunch on display for all to see! My how things can change :D

[/url]
fifteensixtyfive

Postby dearne » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:06 pm

its nice to hear of someone else who takes their lunch to work, i work in a very small office and everyone else goes out to eat their lunch, which makes me feel bad (if they dont go out its because they have light n easy, i dont think their good at the program part of it though because that would be once a fortnight)

what sort of things do you make for lunch, or what can you do with tuna? i stick to my lunch like glue, so i need some ideas on how to vary it :oops:
Dearne
dearne

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:32 pm

My lunches often consist of leftovers from dinner the night before (I only feed 2 at home, but most of my recipes cater for 4, so we have left overs for both of us for lunch). Other than that, salads (with a tun topping), a salad sandwich (toasted if I so desire), baked beans on toast, random frozen leftovers and soups from the fridge... um... anything really.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous