It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Free Newsletter

21 and in need of change

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

21 and in need of change

Postby hannah89 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:38 am

I've decided that I have had enough of being overweight... It is a new year, and so a new start. This year I will be 22 and Im not happy with my weight, nor have I ever been :S
For as long as I can remember I have always been big, baby photos and all. Throughout schooling I was always teased for being big. Its not like I woke up and was suddenly overweight... Its just something I seem to be battling with consistently.
I have tried to do sports and things but can't seem to find something I like. I did get into Rollerderby but didnt get to far with it :(

And so here I am. I don't have a set of scales at home :S But will surely invest in some tomorrow. I put my weight at around the 110 mark and I want to lose 15-20kgs by the end of the year. I realise this may be a big ask but if I stick to my goal and get the right support hopefully it can happen :D

Hannah
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnjMzzT/]
[/url]
hannah89

Re: 21 and in need of change

Postby brendan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:31 am

Hi and Welcome Hannah

If you have an Aldi store close by they have scales on special for about $15 - real fancy ones able to calculate bone mass, %fat and %fluid. I don't know how much notice to take of the details, but it does give weight as well. You need something to track where you are, and to measure your progress.
... and hey - 25kg is not asking too much! Ask for 35kg or 40kg - if you don't ask you won't receive A kilo a week should be easily achievable, at least for the initial 25kg - then it might slow down a bit :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby hannah89 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:28 am

Hey,
Nah, WA is deprived of the awesome Aldi stores :( but Target is good enough for me.
I considered going for the 35kg mark but decided to see how I go with the 25kg first then continue on from there :D
[/url]
hannah89

Postby Metalcharm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:06 pm

Good for you, hannah and good luck!

Breaking your goal into smaller goals will mean it isn't so daunting .. like Brendan has in his signature. You can lose 5kg, easy! You just have to do it a few times :D

Use whatever you can to motivate yourself ... some clothes you want to fit into, impressing family or friends, being able to walk a certain amount or whatever it takes. There's going to be days that the last thing you want to do is the exercise but you just have to otherwise it's too easy not to and you'll fall into old habits again. You'd be surprised how quickly it does become a habit to exercise and eat well if you go in with the right mindset.

:D You can do this!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby hannah89 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Haha thanks Metalcharm :D

Just bought the dreaded scales and weighed in at 118.7kgs... Heaviest I have ever been!!!!
And so... I have signed up for the 12 week challenge, in the hope of losing at least 1kg per week (hopefully more) Although at the moment the heat in Perth is enough to make anyone not want to exercise... At 11am it was 33 degrees :(

At the moment my motivation is a trip I am taking this coming christmas... (going to Melbourne and hear that clothes shopping there is great, so to lose 25-35 kgs by then means I have a far far better choice in clothing than I currently have :D )

Until Yesterday I didn't realise that a sight like this exsited, but man am I glad that I found it. Its great to speak to others who are in or have been in the same situation and can therefore relate to what you are going through. :D
[/url]
hannah89

Postby Metalcharm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:32 pm

I live in the Outback and know all about the heat at the moment :shock:
I am an early riser and if you're not if might be harder but I like going for a walk at 6ish am and I am trying to do a TV show aerobics thingy at 7:30 (do you have PAYTV? it's on the Health channel)
Otherwise it's under the aircon later in the day which I always think is cheating a little LOL
Don't give your self an excuse not to do it - just think of ways around it. :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby hannah89 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Yeh, i got up at 7 this morning... But was still drenched in sweat from a 20min walk :S thinking 6:30 may be the way to go :D Ipod is all charged and ready to go tomorrow...
Was going to start swimming as well but the price of admission to the local pools is ridiculous... May have to look at getting a membership or something similar...

Yeh we have pay tv, but its out in the open where I can wake others :S hahah... I shall think of something... Am planning on getting some outdoor wheels for my roller skates and skating along the beach just for a change of scenery :) ....
[/url]
hannah89

Postby Lucid87 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:15 pm

It's funny the little things that we forget to be greatful for because we're too busy being blinded by the obstacles.

The face that you can rollerskate is great, i've always wanted to rollerskate, especially along the beach but i'm no good with wheels. Good on you for getting out there. What suburb do you live in? Some gyms are around $11 a week and can be an alternative when you don't feel like getting out in the heat. I have a gym membership that i haven't used in months :S
Lucid87

Postby hannah89 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Im in Wellard. There is a Jetts gym close by but im a tad cautious about using weights/treadmills with other people there :S

I am going to look into the gym thing, have been meaning to for ages but always put it off for some other thing.
[/url]
hannah89

Postby brendan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Me too! It seems that gyms are for people who look like they don't need to lose weight, it doesn't do anything for one's self esteem. I am going to wait till I am a lot closer to the goal weight - handy to lose the last 10-20kg and firm the body up a bit. :roll:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby hannah89 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:45 pm

So.... with today being the beginning of the 12 week challenge, I got off my bum and went for a walk... (at 3:30pm, shoulda waited till it was a tad bit cooler but its all good)...

With my ipod on shuffle and my phone on stopwatch I left home and went for my walk that was initially around the block but instead turned into a 4.7km walk :shock: no idea where i got the energy for that one.

But but the best news is I googled my walk (to see how far I actually went....) and google told me that it should have taken me an hour to finish that walk (this includes walking up a hill that I absolutely HATE... Its DEATH...) and and this walk took me a whooping 50.44min I beat google by 9min YAY.. hahahaha

Now to do this every 2-3 days and improve that lead on google dramatically!
And I finally decided that this Thursday being pay day I will go to the local gym (shudders) and buy myself a membership... I admit that for atleast a year or two I will only use the swimming pool but swimmings better than nothing yeh :D
[/url]
hannah89

Postby HRH » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey,

I too am in perth and know all about avoiding exercise claiming it's the heat! good on you for getting out and about =)
The best thing I've done is join the pool- yes, thirty passes is $116. So what I did to justify spending that amount is I went through my bank accounts with a highlighter and added up every take out (including cafe's etc) and figured that if I can afford to spend those $$ a month on crap, I'd transfer it to spending it on my health. I love going to the pool because - No one can see you sweating or panting, it's a total body work out and there is absoloutely no judgement from other people on what you're wearing or how fast you're going- hell, you can be wearing snorkle and goggles, using a kickboard and swimming flippers and no one looks twice at you in the swimming lane.It's also good think space, but if you find it boring you can buy underwater mp3 casings from H20 audio for around $100 that clip onto the back of your goggles =) .

I also have a jetts gym membership, it costs me 20 bucks a fortnight and the atmosphere is quite friendly. I was quite aprehensive about going to the gym too as I have the same concern as you- ARRRGH! PEOPLE ARE LOOKING AT ME AND THEY CAN SEE MY FAT MOVING AND HOW MUCH IM SWEATING!- but then my best friend said something that has stuck with me. PEOPLE ARE NOT LOOKING AT YOU AS OFTEN AS YOU THINK. They are too concerned about their own jiggly bits/red faces/cramp in their left leg and honestly don't care about how many km's you have run, what you're wearing or how many reps you've completed on the weights.

Hope that helps, getting over the mental barriers is half the battle, i find people are just impressed you're there, exercising and making an effort to care about your health- not thinking that your bathers are mismatched or you only swam 250m or you're only using the 3kg weights. :D
HRH

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous