It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:12 am

Free Newsletter

Losing weight to get pregnant

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Losing weight to get pregnant

Postby Slimming to multiply » Mon May 02, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and I'm just wanting to see how many other people out there are losing weight not only to be healthy but to also have babies....

Here is my story:

I'm 27 years old and have been married for 5 years. In 2008 I lost 25kgs and in the first month of trying I got pregnant - lots of excitement!! But unfortunately at 5mths my baby was stillborn. After a year of trying to work through our grief we decided to start trying again about a month in my Granny's health started declining rapidly and after a really stressful couple of months she passed away. This put me straight back onto the grief cycle all over again. This time I really struggled and the doctor suggested to put me onto Zoloft. Even though the medication helped me with my feelings it hasn't helped at all with my figure, it made me too tired to exercise and made my cravings out of control. Fast forward to now and im 121.5kgs and still not pregnant (but at this weight it's probably a good thing!) I've slowly weaned off the medication as it is no longer needed. I really need to get this weight off to conceive....

My husband and I have looked into IVF but I don't want to have to do that unless I have to and considering I'm so overweight at the moment I don't want to waste our money if my body won't conceive anyway.

Is there anyone else trying to lose weight to enhance their fertility? I would love to hear from you.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjJakJc/]

First mini goal is to reach 110kgs - achieved November 2011
Second mini Goal is to reach 105kgs -
Slimming to multiply

Re: Losing weight to get pregnant

Postby danmo48 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you in 2008. It such a sad situation to go through.
I thought I would reply to your post because I am also like you in regards to wanting to have a baby. I already have a 6 year old but my weight has stopped me from falling pregnant and it isn't healthy to fall pregnant at my weight anyways. I am 146.7kg at the moment and have along way to go.

In saying all that, if you would like to chat about anything, feel free to contact me.

Good luck with your weighloss and baby trying :-)
danmo48

Postby Slimming to multiply » Mon May 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks for replying, I'm glad to hear that there are others out there trying to lose weight for the same reasons, sometimes I feel like I'm a freak when I see others around me who are the same size or bigger and yet they still seem to be able to have babies...I can't work it out but I guess every 'body' is different and works differently at various sizes.

So are you doing anything specific to lose weight or just a healthy diet and exercise?

Slimming to multiply

Postby danmo48 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:36 pm

It is a good feeling knowing you aren't alone in a situation like this. My doctor told me she had a patient who fell pregnant at 151kgs. I scratched my head and thought "wow she can get pregnant yet I can't". I don't want to right now cause it isn't healthy for me or for a bub. But you are right, every person is different and we are the ones with the challenge. But I think something like having a baby is a great motivation you know.

Actually I am doing something specific. I have a major problem with portion control and the trouble of what to eat during the day. I joined up with lite n easy. They aren't cheap and i only get their brekky, lunch and snacks to help. I cook healthy dishes for dinner and starting to get the portion right.
I do have a gym membership but lack confidence to go atm. So I bought the zumba collection and I do that 3 days a week and my aerobics dvd 2-3 days a week plus I have to pick up my daughter from the bus stop every school afternoon so that is a 20 minute walk in total. (every bit helps).

What are you doing dietary wise and exercise?
danmo48

Postby Slimming to multiply » Mon May 02, 2011 2:13 pm

I would love to do lite N easy but yeah it's the $$$, I'm trying to save for my trip to America in August.

My problem is my sweet tooth and emotional eating so what I'm trying to do is healthy eating, calorie counting (I have an app on my phone that makes it easier to keep track of)

I've also upped my exercise, believe it or not I actually love exercise, but I tend to eat too much chocolate that cancels out my hard work. Now that I'm off zoloft though I find it easier to control my cravings. I love the gym and sometimes I think I'm the fattest one there but then I go and the gym is full of overweight people, hence the reason why we are there in the first place! The only problem I come across with doing the classes is with my weight I struggle to keep up especially when it comes to doing Step but hopefully the weight will soon come off and it wont be the case anymore.

So were you lighter when you had your first baby?

Slimming to multiply

Postby danmo48 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Yeah you are preaching to the choir about the emotional eating. But I have stopped that which is good. I don't crave chocolate, I crave chips and dips and cheeses lol. But getting better now.
Everytime I have gone to the gym I am normally the only fat one in the ladies section. My gym is full of oldies and fit people. There are overweight people at the gym but never seem to be many there when I go lol.
I haven't any gym classes yet. Does your gym do a body vive class? It is more low impact. I mean I have the same problem as you though. I do zumba at home and have a lil trouble trying to do it to their speed but you get use to it and get better you know. Just keep positive and you will be a pro in the classes in no time. :-)

I was a lot lighter when I had my girl. I fell pregnant at about 95kg and put on like 5kg during the pregnancy. But like most mums, my life took a back seat so I made sure my hubby and lil girl were taken care of. I have done that for the last 7 years and now I need to think about myself too.

What weight do you want to get to so you can try for a bub?
danmo48

Postby Slimming to multiply » Mon May 02, 2011 6:10 pm

you only gained 5kgs in your pregnancy? That's so good! well done.

I'm not really sure what I want to be to get pregnant at, when I got pregnant last time I was 88kgs and I was happy with myself at that weight (I am quite tall) but if I hadn't of got pregnant so quickly I would have kept going with the weightloss for sure. but I remember saying to my mum when I was pregnant that I had wished I had lost a little more weight before I had got pregnant because I seemed to gain it so quickly!! LOL. Being honest though after going what I have gone through I would be happy to get pregnant at 88kgs again, even 90kgs, atleast it's alot healthier than I am now! :oops:

Slimming to multiply

Postby danmo48 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:45 pm

And you know what? There is nothing wrong with getting pregnant at 90kgs I think. If you are a decent height then why not.
Just remember we are sorta doing the same journey and we both want to lose weight to have babies. So all I have to say is to remember if you need to chat about anything, I am here for you.

Be positive, keep motivated and good luck. :-)
danmo48

Postby Slimming to multiply » Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 am

Thank you, your support means alot, I look forward to seeing our results!!!

Slimming to multiply

Postby danmo48 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:02 pm

No thank you. It is good to see that there are others out there like me.
Oh just a lil side note. I had to cancel Lite n Easy cause of finance reasons. So will be going back to normal food. So now we can even exchange recipes and food ideas. :-)
danmo48

Postby waterbaby » Thu May 26, 2011 10:55 am

Hello ladies
I have just read your posts and I just want to say firstly, I admire your courage and I am inspired.
I too am on a mission to drop more of my weight to conceive. I have had 2 kids already, and put on stacks of weight with each (got up to 120kg, and I am short). I too have had some challenges with PND after both, a sad miscarriage in between, a husband with cancer (recovered thankfully) traumatic births and terrible troubles with anti-depression side-effects.
I have 4.5years bw by kids (7.5 & 3) and really want to try for another baby but like you guys, I dont want to be overweight pre-pregnancy and I cannot get an obstetrician's support with my BMI (I have high risk births sadly)

Due to my own emotional eating and other mental issues it has taken 3 years for me to now be under 100kg. It has been painfully slow process and I still want to drop another 30kg and I want to do it fast (!!!) I have just completed 3 months on healing from emotional eating program and I have finally realised that the only way I am going to get there is if I stop using food to avoid feeling my emotions fully. I also know that I need to accept the simple rule, if you eat more than you can burn off, you will put on weight. I have been in denial about that one 8) . I really want to get to a place where I am dropping a kilo a week! I have never been able to do that. I do a measly 300g ish a week or no change or gain. It is infuriating :shock:

I now track my food on a online site (& have the app on my phone: myfitnesspal). I find water activities work best for me as I can do them but I have also started a boot camp (just a group of women with a trainer) which is extremely challenging by giving results. I am trying to do a min of 3 sessions a week (30-50mins) and want to build up to 5 times.

I am not sharing my journey with others, becuase I figure if I tell people I want another baby they will judge/worry/criticise due to my size and my previous experiences. So its good to find others online.
Hope you are both going well
See you around
xo
Rachel - mama of 2 boys (DS7 & 2)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVRereJ/]
[/url]
SW 104kg
CW 97.5kg
Goal Weight: 65-68 kg
Working hard now! No room in my life now for half-hearted attempts!
waterbaby

Postby danmo48 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Hey there waterbaby and thanks so much for the compliments. I think we are just driven by two things, losing weight and having a baby lol.

I am so sorry about reading about the pain, sadness and troubles you have been through. But is good to see that you have started losing weight, getting fit and overcoming big obsticles.

I myself can be an emotional eater as well and I am finally getting that under control. It is so positive and inspiring to see you are doing a great job too.

Fantastic to see that you are tracking your food and getting into the exercise. Keep it up, stay focused and positive.

I also understand about not sharing your journey. My closest friends know that I am on this huge lifestyle change and know that I am losing the weight to be happy, healthy and have another bub. My daughter is turning 7 this year (which will mean a big gap between kids) but I am also 25. I am still young so I want to get on top of the weight and yeah.

Good luck with everything and welcome :-)
xox
danmo48

Postby Slimming to multiply » Fri May 27, 2011 7:38 pm

[quote="waterbaby"

I am not sharing my journey with others, becuase I figure if I tell people I want another baby they will judge/worry/criticise due to my size and my previous experiences. So its good to find others online.

xo[/quote]

I'm sorry that people would criticise you for wanting another baby that's your choice and not theirs...but in saying that I totally get the whole not telling anyone thing.... I haven't really told anyone I'm trying to lose weight this time around because I hate the look you get from people when you want to have a little something even though you are counting your calories so it's ok.............. but yeah we are totally here for you and this place is great for it, look forward to celebrating your successes!

Slimming to multiply

Postby farwaq » Tue May 31, 2011 4:35 pm

sorry to hear about your loss. i have exactly gone through the same thing, not once but twice. i had a still born baby girl in 2007 and than a boy at 26 weeks who lived for just 3 days in jan 2010. but i have still not lost hope. i want to shed all my pregnancy weights and try again; after loosing 20 kgs which i gained because of my last two pregnancies. i am starting my diet programme today lets see where it leads to :)
farwaq

Postby Slimming to multiply » Tue May 31, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi Farwaq,

It's just such a heartbreaking experience, I'm sorry that you have gone through it twice now..... I admire that you are still moving towards the future, you must be really strong. Good luck on your weightloss journey, you will have to keep us all posted with your results - then we can also cheer you on!
Heres to the future! :D

Slimming to multiply

Next

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous