It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:47 am

Free Newsletter

How long to lose 35kg?

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

How long to lose 35kg?

Postby RainbowGirl » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:57 pm

What sort of time would I be looking at to lose 35kg?
I don't want to lose it quickly only to put it back on, would rather it be a slower process and actually keep it off.
What's a healthy amount to lose per month?
RainbowGirl

Re: How long to lose 35kg?

Postby Blitz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:06 am

How long is a piece a string? There is no real answer to your question. It takes as long as it needs to take.

When I started my journey of weight loss on the 1st of January 2011 I knew nothing. The first week I lost 2.5kg, so I figured that for me to lose 87kg it would take me till the first week of September (week 35). My thinking that I could continue to lose 2.5kg each and every week was naive to say the least. I did manage to lose 65.6kg but was well out in my calculations. My next target was the one year mark. By then I lost a total of 82.8kg but still short of my goal. So I went for my birthday (January 27th), only to fail that goal as well (84.9kg). A month later (February 24th 2012) I finally reached goal. So you can see goals are something to reach for but usually end up being lines in the sand that can be redrawn as needed.

Another thing that you have to consider is that this weight thing is a two part process. Losing the weight is the first part, the second part is to keep it off. The former is a period of time and the later is a lifetime.

To lose weight safely organizations like Weight Watchers recommended that you aim to lose 1 kilo per week. This is an ideal healthy goal but life will interfer with it. As you get closer to your goal weight you will find it harder to shift those last few kilos. Things will never go to plan (life is like that).

Weight loss is a journey of self discovery. Success will depend on you finding out about your character and changing it accordingly. It is about discovering a healthy lifestyle that will work for you. How long it takes you to lose the weight will depend how long it takes you to learn what the process has to teach you.

Wishing you all success
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Tea85 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:48 am

As always Kim sums it sums beautifully :) ( Kim I hope your wife and daughter have a large collection of beautifully written love letters and cards to treasure forever! You write so well. )

So far for me I have lost 9.1 kgs in 9 weeks some weeks only losing as little as 0.1kgs others losing up to 1.8 kgs and the only thing I have discovered so far is this - your weekly weigh in does not garentee a loss but any loss is worth being proud of! Weight loss is a very personal experience and you won't know how it will pan out for you until you start!

Good luck on your journey xx
Tea85

Postby Metalcharm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:37 pm

I had a similar amount to lose and wrote about it here .. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26672
but basically it was just eating as cleanly as possible and moving.

Going slow and keeping it off is a great attitude to have! Read all you can about food and what is good and what is not and fit it into your lifestyle. You will probably have habits to change and it will be tough and there will probably be slipups but keep plugging away at it and you WILL get there!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Blitz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 am

That's a great post Jillian. I enjoy reading how people get to grips with the issue. Love the two tips especially. :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby RainbowGirl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Thank you :) Really appreciate the replies.

I've been trying to lose weight for well over 12 months... eating better has been my main goal over the past 12 months which I have done pretty well at... but I have GAINED weight which SUCKS. I know I need to exercise more, I could list a heap of excuses as to why I don't... I do do about 40 mins spread over a day on my vibration machine, most days (maybe miss 1 day a week).
RainbowGirl

Postby Metalcharm » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:10 am

Perhaps portions are your problem then?
Have a look around for what is actually a serving of food - you'll be surprised how small it can be! A serving of meat, for example, is the size of a deck of cards.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Blitz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:38 pm

I don't think that vibration machines will give you the exercise benefit you may wish. You have to actually move some muscles to burn calories not just have them pushed around.

Kim
Blitz

Postby RainbowGirl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Metalcharm wrote:Perhaps portions are your problem then?
Have a look around for what is actually a serving of food - you'll be surprised how small it can be! A serving of meat, for example, is the size of a deck of cards.

Thanks, I don't eat a whole lot anyway. Mostly small servings and more often, I've been following the MySpecialK program, not exactly, but mostly I'm doing well and I struggle to finish their portions!

I've been to a naturapath, dietician and had tests from my Dr's (who found a problem with my liver....) I have quite a few supplements to take every morning and according to the dietician there is no reason (diet wise) stopping me from shifting weight.

I have made a couple of changes the past 2 weeks and I have lost 4kg in the past week. The biggest change has been coming off my anti-depressant medication. I was on quite a high dose and after thinking back over the past 4.5 years my weight gain not only coincided with pregnancy but also the commencement of the medication. Pregnancy being over, of course lol, I figured the only thing left was the meds. It's been a rough 2 weeks, but I'm getting there.

Blitz wrote:I don't think that vibration machines will give you the exercise benefit you may wish. You have to actually move some muscles to burn calories not just have them pushed around.

Kim

Thanks, I am aware of this, however due to some recent injuries I am unable to stay on my feet for more than about 30 minutes at a time. I do walk 3-4 times a week and can mange about 20 minutes before the injuries play up. I am slowly increasing and pushing myself with that time each week, but as I'm sure you are probably aware, it itself is a slow process.

Two weeks ago I had 43kg to lose, thanks to a gain of 8kg in the last 3 months. I now have 39kg to lose. I will get there :) And I am aware it will be a slow process from here as I struggle to find the right balance of meals, exercise and my mental health well being.
RainbowGirl

Postby Blitz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:44 pm

If staying on your feet is a problem may I suggest exercise in a pool. the water will make movement more possible and cushion your body. I found swimming and the like very helpful when I was losing weight...still do. :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby RainbowGirl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks Kim :)

May have to trek in to the local pool a few times a week :)
RainbowGirl

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous