It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Free Newsletter

Tom's Progress

A place for those of us who are close to achieving our goal or have less than 10kgs to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Tom's Progress

Postby Juddy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:50 pm

Okay I decided to start my own thread.

Unfortunately it's not at the best time. I've not been eating as well as I had been last week. I haven't had exercise for 3 days. I don't have any scales in the house at the moment so I have to imagine how many steps back I'm going.

Okay the figures:

I'm 20 years old. Last time I weighed myself (about 1.5 weeks ago), I was smack bang on 80kg. I'm 180-183cm tall. My fat percentage was 16-19% then.

This'll gross you out, but I haven't been exercising in the last 3 days because I decided last week to work on a tan, and since I hadn't been in the sun too much for a while, I got a bad reaction from the sun... yay for rash on arms... and coming down with a cold...

But this doesn't mean I can't run, right? So I'm pushing myself out the door tonight no matter what.

:)
Juddy

Postby SarahC » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:33 am

Good on you for fitting in some excercise even though you aren't well! Looking forward to reading your progress.... I'm sure starting up this thread will be great motivation :) Get better soon!!
SarahC

Postby shelbel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:13 am

Hi Tom, good luck for reaching your goals! Hope you feel better soon!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Juddy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Thanks guys!

I went for my run last night, and it was good :)

I think trying to tan too much over a couple of days was a bad move. Lesson learned :)

I wish I had some scales so I knew how I was going, but basically the one monitor I have is a heart rate monitor. My average on my runs has been around 160bpm over an hour run. This has gradually dropped on the same route to 154bpm on last night's run.

Whether my body is adapting or whether I'm getting fitter, not sure, but feels good to atleast imagine I'm making progress :P
Juddy

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:59 pm

Hiya Tom! Welcome to the progress section :)

Good on you for going for that run no matter what, it's that attitude that gets you to your goals :D :D No matter how hard it is to get it started, you know you'll feel great in the end!!

Looking forward to hearing more of your progress stories :D

Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby golden » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:42 pm

Hi Tom,

Just wondering, I thought 80kg was quite normal for a guy of your height. Most guys I know who are around 183cm are actually more like 85-90kg (I guess it depends on muscle and build though).

Good luck with toning up :-)

Madz
My weight- 58kgs :-) (BMI- 21.9)

Inner confidence- It's all in the eyes... the window to the soul
golden

Postby milkyway » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:40 pm

Hey Tom - sounds like you're doing well with the running. Another thing to keep an eye on with your heart rate is your recovery rate when you stop exercising -- wait a minute and see how quickly it drops. The quicker the better of course :) Keep an eye on that over the next few weeks and see if your rate of recovery is improving.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Juddy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:23 am

Thanks guys :)

Yeah Golden, I am technically of a normal fat percentage... but to be honest, I have fat in places I can't stand it - arse, chest and lower-stomach... I'm much better than I was, but until I have more pecs than man boobs, I won't be confident enough to take my shirt off... :(

I'm not far off, but there's a lot of work to be done.

In terms of muscle too, I was getting to a pretty decent point in terms of muscle mass, because I had the mindset that "Maybe if I build heaps of muslce, the fat will disappear!"... this of course isn't really true - it merely pushes the fat out unless you have a decent diet and do lots of cardio.

I'd post progressional pictures, but not until I've reached my goal I don't think... plus it might be considered arrogant, which is something I never want to become (I often see guys flexing infront of the mirrors at the gym, and it makes me irritated).
Juddy

Postby matchbox » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:42 pm

hey tom, hows it going? just popping in to see how you're doing :wink: omg i hate those huge muscly guys who flex in front of the mirrors! and then they look at me like i'm retarded when i go and grab my little free weights :oops: lol. i swear that's all they go there for :roll: i don't think it would be arrogant, you should be proud, you've come such a long way :) there's a 'before and after pics' section and a few of us have photos in there, you could start your own thread if you wanted to :)

do you have a goal weight? or until u look in the mirror and go yeah i look hot? :P (haha didn't know how to describe it)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Juddy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:30 pm

Sorry matchbox, didn't see your post until now!

Yeah I want to be able to look in the mirror and go "yeah I look hot" but I don't think many people do that - they just throw a "but" in..

"Yeah I look hot... but... my arse, my thighs, my man boobs!" :P

But yeah, I'm getting happier with each kilo I lose, but once I see pecs and feel comfortable with my shirt off, then I'll join the maintenance crew :P

I think I've said this before, but I refuse to go to the beach or pool with friends... or atleast join them in the water!

They tried recently to get me wearing one of those tight cotton shirts while going out, but I refused to... one because I don't want to look like a prick when going out, and two because I don't feel comfortable in it.
Juddy

Postby matchbox » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:50 pm

hey tom, nuh it's all good mate, haven't heard from you in a while though! i saw your pics, ur looking hot!! you've come so far you should be SO proud of yourself :)

sucks about not swimming - i'm sure it'll be something that you will eventually feel comfortable with, i used to hate it (would refuse to go to the beach and make up excuses) but this year i actuaaly bought my first bikini - even though i don't look perfect in it, and i still wear boardies, tehy're not the long boardies which i would usually wear (with a singlet-type top to cover everything up :P)

doesn't matter with the shirt - you've got to be comfortable in it - that's the main thing. if you're not comfortable then you're not confident, and that's the prob. i'm sure you looked awesome anyways :)

nice work so far though, you're doing great! 8)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:11 pm

Congrats on your progress thus far Tom!

Oh and re tanning, go for a spray tan! They look 'real' and there is no frying from the sun or skin damage, and its pretty affordable too!

You'll be in the pool shirtless in no time, everyone will be staring at you...in AWE!

I reckon you would look great at the pool as is, but you must be happy with yourself - doesn't matter how good others think you look.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Juddy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:02 am

Shucks, matchbox, making me blush! :oops:

Congrats on getting out there in your bikini! I can't do that yet... well, maybe I won't go out in a bikini ever... maybe with a few drinks... but you know what I'm talking about :P

I need to get new clothes anyway, but once I've reached my goal... I'm a guy who hates spending money on clothes, I find the process tedious... I only went about 3 months ago, but they slip down too much now, which is a great feeling overall, but in this period of time, sheesh!

With better fitting clothes will come confidence, I hope... something I lack a lot of! Maybe then I'll break my life-long record of singleness and my friends will stop trying to set me up with anything that has two legs!

Fiona, I much prefer a slight natural tan... I might consider going fake, but once I get my shirt off in the sun, I'll get a bit browner anyway. Thanks for the advice, though :)
Juddy

Postby Juddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:46 am

Okay, just a quick update after Chrissy/NYE!

Weighed in at 77.4kg - 18.5% at 11am this morning. The percentage isn't really accurate in the morning, so I will get a better reading tomorrow.

But 77.4kg is pretty low for me, I'm starting to see a better outline around the abs, and I think the last bit of man boobage is disappearing (finally!)

I've thinned a lot more around the waist - I know this because my pants are way too big now, where as a kilo or two ago they were just a tad big.

Someone said I had a cute arse last night, which I've never gotten before, so yay.
Juddy

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:05 am

Oh Wow, go Tom!!!!

You'd better get used to those compliments mate, you will be getting them on a daily basis :D

Well done, you my friend are such a great inspiration to us all!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Next

Return to Almost there