It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 am

Free Newsletter

Fiona's Journey!

A place for those of us who are close to achieving our goal or have less than 10kgs to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fiona's Journey!

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Sussy wrote:Okay Helen,

I meant well. :(

Suse

Don't be silly !!! It's ok :)

I would highly recommend watching the video though, not only you personally, but anyone who would like to see what it's an IF couple experiences.

Hugs all around guys :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby loveat116 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi Fiona.

Im so sorry to hear about what you have been going through, best of luck with everything.

If I could ask a question, is infertility something you can test for?
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:05 pm

loveat116 wrote:Hi Fiona.

Im so sorry to hear about what you have been going through, best of luck with everything.

You can go through tests but you have to be trying for at least 12 months (or 6 months if you're over 30-35).

There are many things than can be wrong a few of these are:

WOMEN

Polycistic ovaries
Blocked tubes
Not ovulating at all
Hormone imbalance
Problems with specific organs such as ovaries, uterus etc
Cervical cancer
Premature eggs
Early menopause
Endometriosis

The list goes on

MEN

Low sperm count or no sperm count
Low motility
Deformed shape in sperm

COUPLED

Certain blood types combined can result in not being able to carry a baby full term and constant miscarrying
The female anti-bodies attacking the sperm

I've missed lots of i'm sure but those are the ones that come to mind.

There are so many different treatments available - fertility drugs, AI, IUI, IVF, IVF through ICSI.

For us, IVF through ICSI is our ONLY option. So we're literally heading into something where this is our ONLY chance and option for a baby.

People seem to have no idea about how IVF works (which unless you need to, you have no reason to know, I didn't know before either) and think that it will always work. Unfortunately its usually a 50/50 chance and the average amount of IVF attempts for a pregnancy is 3.

For anyone that is interested, here is a very brief run down of how it works:

Hormone shots to stimulate your ovaries to produce multiple eggs. These are daily shots that you give to yourself. You then have a series of scans to see how the eggs are producing and then you need different shots to make sure your ovaries do not release the eggs down through your tubes and to your uterus.

Next step is a sedation, local anaesthetic and having the eggs surgically collected from you.

A sperm sample is then taken and the eggs and sperm are left in a petri dish to fertilize, though in our case, the sperm will be injected into the eggs.

You then wait 3-5 days and hope like hell that the embroyos advance. Some or even none of them don't make it, some mature but not enough to be useful and others mature do the required amount of cells.

Next step is an embroyo transfer. Multiples aren't actually that common in IVF because its usually only the 1 embryo being transfered into the uterus.

Then you have to wait 10-14 days (the dreaded wait) for a blood test if your period doesn't come beforehand to see if the embroyo has implanted itself into the uterus and you're pregnant.

If it doesn't work and you still have embroyos left, these are frozen and you then have the embroyo(s) transfered again the following month. If you have no eggs left then you have to do a fully stimulated cycle again.

The other stress is the cost. A fully stimulated IVF cycle is around the $10,000 mark. And that doesn't include all those appointment and tests you went through before that. Medicare covers a generous amount though and we're lucky enough to have my Mum who is helping us financially.

So as you can see it is extremely full on physically and mentally.

Thanks again guys *hugs*
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Cac33 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi Fiona

Thanks for your last post. Like you said no-one knows unless they have gone through it & its not really talked about so its hard to know what goes on. Thank you for being so brave & open about what is going on in your life. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

Cass xx
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:38 pm

Thankyou Cac *hugs*

We've been VERY private about this. I've said a few things on the forum here and there and have now really bared all, but in our "real life" apart from our parents, siblings, 1 of hubbys close friends and a few of my close friends, no one else knows. Oh and work, but we only recently told them and that was to explain why we'll be needing time off. They're all sworn to secrecy.

We will be keeping it that way until we are pregnant (wishing) and a good 12-14 weeks along at that.

Before this happened to us i'm sure I would've made insensitive comments or done insensitive things or assumed things etc, we're only human and until we know something or learn from someone then we aren't to know. I just wanted to educate everyone a little and if you ever know of someone going through IF then what you have learnt will be sure to make their journey that little bit smoother.

Fiona25

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:40 pm

Fiona25 wrote:
loveat116 wrote:Hi Fiona.

You can go through tests but you have to be trying for at least 12 months (or 6 months if you're over 30-35).

There are many things than can be wrong a few of these are:

WOMEN

Polycistic ovaries
Blocked tubes
Not ovulating at all
Hormone imbalance
Problems with specific organs such as ovaries, uterus etc
Cervical cancer
Premature eggs
Early menopause
Endometriosis

The list goes on

MEN

Low sperm count or no sperm count
Low motility
Deformed shape in sperm

COUPLED

Certain blood types combined can result in not being able to carry a baby full term and constant miscarrying
The female anti-bodies attacking the sperm

I've missed lots of i'm sure but those are the ones that come to mind.

There are so many different treatments available - fertility drugs, AI, IUI, IVF, IVF through ICSI.

For us, IVF through ICSI is our ONLY option. So we're literally heading into something where this is our ONLY chance and option for a baby.

People seem to have no idea about how IVF works (which unless you need to, you have no reason to know, I didn't know before either) and think that it will always work. Unfortunately its usually a 50/50 chance and the average amount of IVF attempts for a pregnancy is 3.

For anyone that is interested, here is a very brief run down of how it works:

Hormone shots to stimulate your ovaries to produce multiple eggs. These are daily shots that you give to yourself. You then have a series of scans to see how the eggs are producing and then you need different shots to make sure your ovaries do not release the eggs down through your tubes and to your uterus.

Next step is a sedation, local anaesthetic and having the eggs surgically collected from you.

A sperm sample is then taken and the eggs and sperm are left in a petri dish to fertilize, though in our case, the sperm will be injected into the eggs.

You then wait 3-5 days and hope like hell that the embroyos advance. Some or even none of them don't make it, some mature but not enough to be useful and others mature do the required amount of cells.

Next step is an embroyo transfer. Multiples aren't actually that common in IVF because its usually only the 1 embryo being transfered into the uterus.

Then you have to wait 10-14 days (the dreaded wait) for a blood test if your period doesn't come beforehand to see if the embroyo has implanted itself into the uterus and you're pregnant.

If it doesn't work and you still have embroyos left, these are frozen and you then have the embroyo(s) transfered again the following month. If you have no eggs left then you have to do a fully stimulated cycle again.

The other stress is the cost. A fully stimulated IVF cycle is around the $10,000 mark. And that doesn't include all those appointment and tests you went through before that. Medicare covers a generous amount though and we're lucky enough to have my Mum who is helping us financially.

So as you can see it is extremely full on physically and mentally.

Thanks again guys *hugs*

You are so inspiring hun. Not only are you on this journey to start your family, you are strong enough to talk about it and share your information with others. That is what I admire about you. Your time will come babe, where there's a will, there's a way. Where there's a way, there's always a time for everything.

Love you lots

xx
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby lng86 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Fi, your post put tears into my eyes.

I don't have much more to say... Am somewhat speechless... But I truly hope your dreams of having a baby come true in the near future. Honestly - no one is more deserving than both you and Helen.

I think you already know how highly I think of you.

Hugs,
Lauren.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:55 pm

You're so sweet Lauren, thankyou so much for your lovely reply, it really made my day hun.

Been doing ok the last few days, eating well with a bit of junk here and there and doing some walking.

By Saturday I will be getting back into riding my horses, I have a horse coming here for training so that will be a total of 3 horses to ride a minimum of 4 x a week each so that'll be good.

Plan to do 2 martial arts classes next week too.

Will most likely report a weigh in sometime next week :)

Fiona25

Postby GoddessInside » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:03 am

Heya Gorgeous !

Just wanted to pop in to let you know that I will be thinking of you today and I hope that it all goes well for you & A.

Love to you both

xxx
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby lng86 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:48 am

I'll be thinking of you too!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby ali76 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:05 am

Me three xo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby GoddessInside » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:56 pm

How did u go hun ?
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:12 pm

I won't go into things too much but basically my FS wants to put me on useless fertility drugs that have a fair amount of risk attached and I don't even have the problem that the drug targets. I'm really upset and confused about it all so we've decided to seek a 2nd opinion.

My exercise and eating has suffered so badly...AGAIN. I have put on lots of weight around my stomach, its disgusting.

So I need to get my bum to the pledge section.

I work until Saturday so on Sunday i'm going to go shopping and get organised again.

I have to give Helen the biggest thankyou. I spoke to her on MSN and because I was very upset she rang up up, she made my day! She is such a sweet person and even has a sweet voice to go with the rest of her sweetness :mrgreen: I think Helen should be a counsellor...seriously! She layed everything on the table for me, made me see things from all different angles and just offered me so much support...you're such an amazing person Helen (((HUGS)))

Fiona25

Postby GoddessInside » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:21 pm

Fiona hun, you really need to realise what an amazing person you are ! You have such strength to draw from and its very easy to let one lose sight of their inner strength and their abilities when you're facing alot. Im just glad that I can help in any way hun :)

Don't stress too much about the diet, exercise and your tummy. Just remember what the doc said, you're in tip top shape ! I am certain that your 2nd opinion will agree ;) However if you feel you need to start exercising, don't go hardcore, give your body time to completely recoup :)

Love to you both

xoxo
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Tarz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:26 am

Hi Fiona, how have things been going?
Tarz

PreviousNext