It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Free Newsletter

Only Have 8kilos to Lose Lets See If I can Do It!!!

A place for those of us who are close to achieving our goal or have less than 10kgs to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Only Have 8kilos to Lose Lets See If I can Do It!!!

Postby milkyway » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:25 pm

Hey fatty - running puts a lot of stress your muscles, joints, tendons and ligaments, particularly if you increase your training too much too soon. The general rule of thumb is no more than 10% per week then every 5 or 6 weeks drop back a bit and then pick it up again. If you keep your mileage relatively low to start and give your body time to adapt to running consistently 3-4 months, you should be able to run injury free as you start to step it up. I tried stepping up from half marathon training to marathon training distances too soon and seven months later I'm still dealing with consequences of a damaged achillies tendon and am only running 3-6km sessions.

I tore three ligaments in my right ankle doing taekwondo a few years ago - spent about a month in plaster and another couple of weeks on crutches and then a long time after that recovering because I started training again too soon - so listen to your doc and take the time now needed to heal properly or run the risk of being unable to run/exercise properly for 6+ months like me :(

To strengthen your ankles, try standing on one leg on a cushion or pillow. If that's too easy, add another. It's amazing how good a work out it is, even for your butt! Another one is to stand on a step and drop your heel - really good stretch.

Best of luck with your recovery :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Return to Almost there