It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:59 pm

Free Newsletter

Tips for those with 10kg to lose

A place for those of us who are close to achieving our goal or have less than 10kgs to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Tips for those with 10kg to lose

Postby fi_112 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi guys,
I recently lost about 9kg, it was a struggle but I'm so happy! I am doing a triathlon next weekend and my next aim is to get more defined abs!!
Anyway, I had to battle with a very very strong love of food which I realise now borders on an eating disorder.
Here are my tips:

- Make friends with exercise. Don't stop reading because I said that, trust me!! I hated it when I first started but then one afternoon I had two hours to spare before I met my girlfriends for dinner. I did a pump class and an hour of cardio and I was amazed by how good I felt afterwards! It was this endorphine rush that kept me going back to the gym, and eventually my body started to change. Because I was used to eating a lot, I got really hungry, but exercise ensured that I was able to lose weight while I was still learning how many calories to take in, what food to eat etc.

- Mix up your exercise - dance & step classes are fun. At the moment I work out 5-6 days a week (still have a few more kg to shift), mixing up bike riding, with strength training, with running, with aerobics classes at the gym. Some days I just think "F**K IT" and so I let myself have a day or two off. Even if you feel tired and not in the mood, just put the radio on and dance for 3 songs, or go for a walk and do some stretches. I was never a morning person but I used to get up at 6.30am to go to the gym just so it was over and done with.

- Find an idol/motivator - I read Ajay Rochester's book 'the lazy girl's guide to losing weight' and it motivated me so much! While I think 1200 calories is too little, it taught me so many other things!

- Don't give up if you blow out. There were many times when I thought I had stuffed it up and I would go back up to 78kg but I somehow managed to keep losing despite my social binges.

- Have treats! I have dinners out and takeaways and chocolates and I drink about once a week but I have still managed to do it. Be good about 80% of the time, but treat yourself too. I find it helpful to be really good on weekdays so I can relax on the weekends.

- Keep telling yourself positive things, like how beautiful you are. I think that when you lose weight you can often have a very negative voice saying "that's not enough" or if you put on a few grams one week you'll feel like you're a failure. It's a slow process but just keep trekking and treating yourself well.

- If you have emotional eating problems, you have to deal with them. They will most likely come to the surface when you try and get healthy anyway.

Anyway, I love this forum and I thank you guys for all your help!!!
xx
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Re: Tips for those with 10kg to lose

Postby Runner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:04 pm

I really enjoyed reading your post! You do have to learn to love exercise, I found that if you start doing something you enjoy however small it might seem it eventually leads to bigger things. I started by getting of the bus a few stops early mainly to kill time before I had to be a work, but the walks kept getting longer and longer, and then I felt the earge to run, so I started by running for 30 seconds and walking for 30 seconds for half an hour. The run bits got longer and the walks shorter till I was jogging at a steady pace for most of the 30mins. I also did a half hour of swimming when i wasn't running and am so looking forward for the pool to open again, I have new goggles and I fit into my old one piece again so I am so ready. who knows maybe I'll even buy that neat speedo suit at the sports store! So from small beginings, I now love exercising!

I love the part when you say, you have to tell yourself how beautiful you are. Because if you can't love yourself why would you be bothered to help your self? You are working towards the best body for you, why would you punish yourself with starvation or binging, we are only human, sometimes you have a blow out, ok so what, I still want to be the best i can be. You really can do it.

Thanks heaps

Runner
Runner

Re: Tips for those with 10kg to lose

Postby court » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks Fi! Exactly the sort of posts i need to keep reading!!!
xoxox
court

Return to Almost there