It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:29 pm

Free Newsletter

Best movie of all time??

A place to discuss your favourite Movies and TV Shows.

Moderator: Moderators

Best movie of all time??

Postby tinkerbella » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:11 pm

What is the movie that you love??
Ive loved An Officer and a Gentleman for as long as I can remember,
love Richard Gere as an actor..
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Re: Best movie of all time??

Postby DD Diva » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:25 pm

tinkerbella wrote:What is the movie that you love??
Ive loved An Officer and a Gentleman for as long as I can remember,
love Richard Gere as an actor..

Dumb and dumber.......really funny!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:50 pm

My favourite movie is "The Goodbye Girl" which was written by Neil Simon, won Richard Dreyfus the best actor Oscar that year and co-starred Simon's then wife Marsha Mason.
Probably the best movie of all time is my close second favourite - "Casablanca"...it has everything in it that a movie should have...and many of the best lines every uttered from the silver screen!

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm very hard to please where film is concerned. There are so many problems that I can nitpick - poor casting (eg Impossible Mission 3), imbecilic dialogue (eg Deathstalker), lazy plot contrivances (eg Avatar).

IMO, good feature films are those that I can be bothered to watch more than once, and there are few of those.

"Citizen Kane".

I have to give a special mention to an episode of "Family Guy", an animated series, that converted me into a fan. Not long ago I was channel surfing and stumbled onto the beginning of the episode in which the dog Brian and child Stewie are accidentally locked inside a bank vault for the weekend. The only location is the vault, and the only dialog is what takes place between the two. I (barely) got past the initial gross-out scene, but I later realised it was an important set-up for what followed. The story and dialog were similar to some of those old films like Hitchcock's "Lifeboat" and were very clever. Judging from that episode alone, "Family Guy" has some heavy-hitting writers on board who know their classics. That single episode is one of the most impressive 30 minutes of contemporary serial television I've every seen.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:35 am

Interesting choices there Badger.

I haven't seen 'Avatar' because I still haven't forgiven the director for robbing me of three hours of my life by watching 'Titanic' (a 'Night to Remember' was much better)!
'Citizen Kane' - now you are talking...what a movie! So many interesting shots and ideas! What a pity Welles wasn't given the opportunity to fulfil his great promise.
'Lifeboat' - now there is an overlooked classic. My favourite bit is how Hitchcock worked his appearance in the film where all the action is set in a lifeboat. My favourite Hitchcock movie is "The Rope". Again set in one place...and set in real time...every screen minute is one actual minute.

Kim
Blitz

Postby ganymede » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:26 am

I have a few favourites :)

The Fountain - Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weiss. It's a beautiful and sad love story but entwines with so many themes, including the tree of life being tied to her life force. It's very beautifully done. I ball my eyes out every time! :lol:

Contact - While there are some things that irk me about the movie adaption (compared to the book), for the most part I really enjoyed it. They kept the important messages relatively intact and every single time Elanore Arroway hears that first thrumming of the signal, I get the most intense goosebumps all over my skin.

Amelie - A french subtitle film featuring Audrey Tautou. Maybe it's because she's so whimsical and the story is so strange and yet so romantic. And the music score was composed by Yann Tiersen who has become a much loved favourite of mine (I saw him in concert a couple of years ago!) A close second is A Very Long Engagement, which also stars Audrey Tautou. A really poignant story.
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Blitz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:46 am

I'll have to check 'The Fountain' out...sounds like my kinda movie!

Love 'Amelie'...what a wonderful movie. Her father's postcard sending travelling garden gnome...the shoebox from the past...the lost letters...and the mysterious puzzle of the photo booth! A movie full of whimsical happenings that are all revealed in a very satisfying way. :D
If you enjoyed this movie you should check out 'Chocolat'...a movie with a similar feel.

By the way Natasha - speaking of 'Chocolat'...I saw 'The Hundred Foot Journey' today (same director)...excellent movie - thank you for your recommendation! :)

Kim
Blitz

Postby tinkerbella » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:33 am

your very welcome Kim,
my mum and dad also went and seen it yesterday and mum enjoyed it also...
I will up date you on gone girl when I see that one but unsure whether it will be an everybody kind of movie,think it could be a bit like ARGO you will either enjoy it or hate it...
ARGO was a 10/10 for me but not my husband.

I love true storys or anything to do with history.
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby ganymede » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:43 am

Hey Kim, yes I have seen Chocolat too, I really enjoyed it also! :D

I'm really keen to see Guardians of the Galaxy too so I might go watch it this weekend!
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Blitz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 pm

All my knowledge about history I learnt from movies...and then had to unlearn it and learn the correct version when I started reading history books for fun! Why does Hollywood have to play so hard and loose with the facts? :roll:

Hey Shelley nothing like a good sci-fi movie right?
I vividly remember the first time I saw 'Star Wars'.
Mates pulled up my place and asked if I wanted to see a movie. Some new movie about space...I thought why not...I liked 'Lost in Space' and the like. I will never forget that seeing that opening scene. The first ship flies past and I go "cool ship - very well done sfx...best I've seen" then the bigger ship comes into view from top screen chasing the smaller ship...and it keeps coming...and it keeps coming...and it keeps coming! I go "wow!!! this ain't just your average space movie!!!" :shock: 8) :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Postby Crouton » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:09 am

Just one? That's really hard. I think it would be a tie between The Lion King, V for Vendetta and Alien.
Crouton

Postby Blitz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Interesting choices there Crouton. :)
I remember seeing Alien for the first time. Kept you on the edge of your seat or what? A week later I took some girls to see it...just so I could watch them jump out of their skins! :shock: Yeah...it was cruel but fun! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Return to Movies and TV Show