It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:18 am

Free Newsletter

What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favourite books.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby GOING,GOING,GONE » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:52 am

James Patterson, Double Cross another Alex Cross novel hard to put down but all his books are.

JULS
TENSION IS WHO YOU THINK YOU SHOULD BE..RELAXATION IS WHO YOU ARE....JULS
(CHINESE PROVERB)

GOING,GOING,GONE

Postby loveat116 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:40 pm

Just got some out from the library

1. The Darwin Awards - Wendy Northcutt
2. More, Now, Again - Elizabeth Wurtzel
3. The Great Plague - A Lloyd Moote
4. ADD Nutrition Solution - Marcia Zimmerman
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby SarahC » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:44 pm

The last entire book I read was Geri Halliwell's autobiography :oops: I am such an incredibly slow reader, hence I hardly ever read. I have had my copy of Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" in my handbag for the last few months, intending to read it. I started in June last year (2006) and I'm about 1/3 of the way through :oops:
SarahC

Postby sassi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:40 pm

never somewhere else by alex gray. she's a bit like ian rankin - only her books are set in glasgow rather than edinburgh. if you like that sort of thing, i'd recommend them - this is the 3rd or 4th one i've read and they're a good read :)
sassi

Postby ellecee » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:50 am

I looooooooove reading!
'Life of Pi' and 'Catcher in the Rye' are on my TBR pile.

I just finished Jacquelyn Mitchard's 'Still Summer'...vg read.
and starting 'Blood Ties' by Sam Hayes. (UK author)

Also I just bought 'The Best Life Diet' by Bob Greene. (Oprah's trainer) ..my PT recommended it.
SW: 142.4 - Nov '07
CW: 119.2
GW: 75.0

4th mini goal: 115kg - Pandora Charm
~ I am one workout stronger than yesterday ~
ellecee

Postby milkyway » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:54 am

I just finished reading the third book in the 'All about Rachael' series, I think it's called "Spells and Sleeping bags" ... it's a teen fiction book :oops:

Now I am reading "Into the Wild" by John Krackour about the young guy who left all his worldly possessions behind, gave his money to charity and disappeared into the Alaskan wilderness - Sean Penn has just made it into a movie. I loved Krackour's (sorry - forget how to spell his name properly) book 'Into thin Air' about the ill-fated Everest expedition that killed numerous people and had some amazing survival stories - John was actually on the trip! Worth reading. Brought me to Nepal ;)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby shelbel » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:11 pm

Hey San that into the wild one sounds interesting!

Im chugging thru 'the book thief' by Markus Zusak at the moment, so far its not living up to its expectations for me! :(

Next in line tho is 'between a rock and a hard place' by aaron ralston(i think) . Its a true story that happened a few years ago when the guy was rock climbing by himself and got his arm stuck in between rocks and he ends up having to chop it off himself! Eeek that should be juicy!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby oostevens » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:17 pm

currently reading Incurable (book 2 in The Ellie Chronicles trilogy) its the second series after Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden. I love those books.

I also have a list of books I want to read: Band of brothers (already own the dvds) and a heap of other books that contain accounts of Easy Company in ww2. Written mainly by soldiers who were in Easy Company, including their leader Richard Winders.
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:29 pm

I just finished reading "The Great Starvation Experiment" by Todd Tucker. WOW! I read it in a day it was that enthralling.

It details the scientific experiment done in the 1940s on starvation where 36 men were put on 'starvation' diets for six months and monitored to find out their bodies' reactions. This study is cited in almost all weight-loss literature that argue restrictive diets are bad. Their level of starvation? They were on 1500 calories per day, which is higher than many of the more popular weight loss programs. All of them became obsessed with food, lethargic and suffered extreme psychological issues during the experiment.

The problem is that many diet experts argue that the 1500 calorie diet was responsible for this obsessive behaviour. They ignore the fact that almost all of these men were of normal weight when they started the experiment, and by dropping 25% of their body weight they became extremely underweight. The study wasn't about overweight people losing weight, it was about starving healthy people to simulate famine conditions. While it didn't necessarily help much with rehabilitating famine victims, it is considered crucial research when it comes to eating disorders.

It's a great book and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in calorie-controlled weight loss or eating disorder research.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby milkyway » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 pm

shelbel wrote:Next in line tho is 'between a rock and a hard place' by aaron ralston(i think) . Its a true story that happened a few years ago when the guy was rock climbing by himself and got his arm stuck in between rocks and he ends up having to chop it off himself! Eeek that should be juicy!

I remember when that happened. And what a cheesy title, eh? :lol: Whoever cam up with that must be a genius!!! :roll:
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby grugwashere » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:29 am

oh yeah i heard about that.. i hope i never have to be faced with that situation!

I am currently reading "Threshold" by Sara Douglass...
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby Gal Friday » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:50 am

I have just finished (on the bus) AJ Rochester's book... ummm Confessions of a Reformed Dieter. Am going to read the "how to" next! Or one of the books I got for christmas! oohh that reminds me... I need to check what was on my book club list for this month!
Gal Friday

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:08 pm

Gal Friday wrote:I have just finished (on the bus) AJ Rochester's book... ummm Confessions of a Reformed Dieter. Am going to read the "how to" next! Or one of the books I got for christmas! oohh that reminds me... I need to check what was on my book club list for this month!

Confessions of a Reformed Dieter is a great book! I borrowed it from the library a while back and found it really enjoyable and informative. Is the 'how to' book you mentioned a companion book? If so I may have to track it down!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby sassi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:14 pm

making history - stephen fry. my first time reading one of his novels. so far it's pretty good.
sassi

Postby Gal Friday » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:40 pm

Yup! It is a companion. I brought them both on ebay at the same time. It is called.... umm......................... here it is! http://www.ajrochester.com/lazy.htm
Gal Friday

PreviousNext

Return to Books