It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:58 am

Free Newsletter

Books that change your life

A place to discuss your favourite books.

Moderator: Moderators

Books that change your life

Postby shelbel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:36 pm

Im part way through a book called 'a million little pieces" by James Frey. Anyone read it? Im really enjoying it so far and i think its shaping up to be one of those books you never forget. Anyway it got me thinking about if there are any other books out there that have changed me and no im not talking about diet/self help type books here!!

The one book that really stands out for me is 'Veronika decides to die' by Paul Coelho Anyone read this one? I can honestly say this book has come close to saving my bacon once before and anytime i get really depressed i read this book.

So im putting it out there, anyone ever read a book that 'saved' them? or changed you in anyway? Or even a book that you will never forget??
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

books

Postby mimosa8 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:40 am

yes have read a million little pieces. great book. especially for alcoholics.

Unrelated to weight loss.. best book.. disturbing and classic= 1984 George Orwell, gives another meaning to "big brother". most people dont know about the real meaning about this. mind control. 1984 was written in 1948, he just reversed the numbers. a lot of it is already comming true.

Anything by Lynda La Plante is really good if you like thrillers.

Think slim is a good one to read for nice easy sayings..
NLP Anthony robbins is great.

Have you read any inspiring books or movies on someone who has transformed themselves physically and emotionally?
mimosa8

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:51 am

fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe :)

toowanda!!
kate_turner2000

Postby mimosa8 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:34 pm

i love that film!!!
mimosa8

Postby Rustie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:54 am

I read a book in primary school that was about a girl that had cancer. Man i would love to get my hands on it again. It made me cry over and over again. The way it was written was beautiful.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Postby Rustie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:18 am

Ok Lily & Me by Moses Aaron

Best childrens book by far and its outta print *crying* *sobs*

If anyone can get their hands on it or can give me any leads it will be greatly appreciated. I really want to read this book to my daughter because i knew i loved it. And also a friend in her class at school has been diagnosed with leaukemia and i think it will really help her understand about life.

Rustie

Postby tanya » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:33 am

Rustie wrote:I read a book in primary school that was about a girl that had cancer. Man i would love to get my hands on it again. It made me cry over and over again. The way it was written was beautiful.

Was it pink balloons? I love that book. Read it quite a few times..
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby tanya » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:50 am

Ok i have rememberedthe names of a couple more books.
Go ask alice
Anna's story
and i loved The Diary of Anne Frank. Read that quite a few times when i was growing up.
Also like the tomorrow series.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby shelbel » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:12 pm

Hey sam maybe try ebay ever now and again, you can everything and anything on there! LOL

I finished a million little pieces last night, what an amazing book!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby yummymummy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:28 pm

Ive erad a few good books lately
THe lovely bones-I found really moving, it was about a family dealing with their greif
Running with scissors-Ive heard this was made into a movie and it was a really bad movie, but it was a really good book, based on a true story.
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Rustie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:51 pm

I looked on ebay and also a few other sites. Apparently quiet a few other people are trying to get it aswell. Might ring around some second hand books stores to see if they have it..

Rustie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:05 pm

1984 definitely. 3 minutes hate anyone? - so applicable to real world and so frighteningly possible! Everyone of voting age should be forced to read it.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Re: Books that change your life

Postby Lolly » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:14 am

shelbel wrote:The one book that really stands out for me is 'Veronika decides to die' by Paul Coelho Anyone read this one? I can honestly say this book has come close to saving my bacon once before and anytime i get really depressed i read this book.

Try having a read of "Taming the Black Dog" - it is fabulously easy reading for when your mind is all over the place and can't concentrate on the words :lol:

One of my fave books of all times is My Brother Jack. I lost my copy of it moving house about 15 years ago. Recently I was at my brothers place and there on his bookshelf was a copy so I "borrowed" it until I see him again in about 6 months - I have read it twice in the last 6 weeks lol :lol:

I just love to read - I will read the back of the cereal box at brekky if I am desperate :oops:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Re: Books that change your life

Postby milkyway » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:42 am

shelbel wrote:The one book that really stands out for me is 'Veronika decides to die' by Paul Coelho Anyone read this one? I can honestly say this book has come close to saving my bacon once before and anytime i get really depressed i read this book.

I loved that book, too. I gave it to a friend whose sister tried to commit suicide and she in turn passed it on to her sister and I think it had a big impact on both of them.

I have been affected by so many books - I used to be an avid reader (and a lit major at uni!). I love all of John Iriving's books and 'A Prayer For Owen Meany' being a standout. Another is Gabriel Garcia Marquez's 'Chronicle of a Death Foretold'. Amazing storytelling.

Can I also add the bible? We had an Illustrated Children's Bible in my house and the image of John the Baptist's head on a platter with his eyes rolled back in his head is still with me today *shudder* and it seriously put me off religion forever... I would never find as much horror in the world as I would right there in that book... *shudder*
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby milkyway » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:00 pm

Just thought of another one -- I posted about it in 'The Secret' thread.

The book 'The Artists Way' by Julia Cameron. It's about unleashing creativity and getting over writer's block (or any kind of creative block). If anyone is an aspiring writer, poet, sculptor, actor or artist of anykind, I highly recommend this book.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Next

Return to Books