It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:18 pm

Free Newsletter

Self Help Books

A place to discuss your favourite books.

Moderator: Moderators

Self Help Books

Postby shelbel » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:18 pm

In my younger (and not so wise) days i thought these types of books where a load of mumbo jumbo, and ok, so maybe some of them are, but in the interest of shared knowledge and helping each other out even more, i thought id ask around about who has read what and what did it do for you??

Im about to start a book called 'eating, drinking and overthinking' "women's destructive relationship with food, alcohol and depression" I thought it struck a cord with me, so hopefully i will gain something from the exercise!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Re: Self Help Books

Postby holly80 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:17 am

I havnt read any, but I was at boarders yesterday and they have a huge sectoin on books for self help. I would love to read one on weight loss and positive thinking.

Holly

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
CW:
WL:
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!
holly80

Postby matchbox » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:10 pm

holly80 wrote:I havnt read any, but I was at boarders yesterday

me too!! :lol: they have a huge section in our one too :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby holly80 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:28 pm

matchbox wrote:
holly80 wrote:I havnt read any, but I was at boarders yesterday

me too!! :lol: they have a huge section in our one too :)

Fanastic shop isnt. You can get very book imaginable. Its my fav at the moment. Such a nerd hahaha

Holly

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
CW:
WL:
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!
holly80

Postby Searching501 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:33 pm

I love self help books, can any one recommend any they have read for getting over food issues? I read a few by Geneen Roth a few years back and i remember them being quite brilliant. what have you found helpful?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWYaMHk/]
[/url]
Searching501

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:36 pm

I highly recommend Paul McKenna's book and CD 'I can make you thin'. It reprograms your thinking in regard to food and exercise. It doesn't really address the underlying issues that might cause you to overeat,though, so it's not going to be appropriate for everyone. It just looks at finding ways to change your thinking to modify your behaviour. This is where I found the mantra "Food has always been there, and food will always be there" which has helped me so much.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Diminishing » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:01 pm

I have read Mark Stephens book "Think Slim" and I use the CD a lot: it works very well, for me, well on the mental level.

I also like "Make the Connection" by Bob Greene........

Another one I have is "Confessions of a Reformed dieter" by AJ Rochester.....when I first read it I pooh poohed it a bit as she uded a nutritionist, personal trainer and a phychologist. (At the time, I thought this was a tad extreme and beyond me.........I know realise this 3 pronged approach is exactly what I need!)

I have also read, from the library The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom, by Dr Phil........his focus is on the mental side of things a lot.

Another one I picked up from the linrary just this morning (but haven't read yet!) is Stop Dieting and Lose Weight by Di Harris

I am a bit of a self help addict, as you can tell, LOL! I read as much as I can, and usually end up with a least one gem!
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby Searching501 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:10 pm

thanks for you suggestions guys.

Diminished, what did you think of Dr Phil's book? I have been thinking about buying it for a few months now. And i am due for a new book. Did you find it helpful?
[/url]
Searching501

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:51 pm

I'd recommend checking out your local library. My library has heaps of dieting self-help books including the Dr Phil one, so I get to try before I buy. Which is a good thing because just like no one diet program will suit 100% of the population, not all self help books will work for everyone. For instance I know lots of people who rave about Dr Phil's book. I read it and honestly didn't get anything out of it.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Diminishing » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:28 am

I totally agree with Ali........check out your local library.

I love Dr Phil on the TV, but I found his book very laboured, to be honest.........he takes a long way round to get to the point.
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby Diminishing » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:34 am

Forgot to mention........your other cheap option is Ebay, but sometimes postage can kill the value of the bargain.

Also, if you find a title that you think looks good, check out the reviews on Amazon before you buy.

not all self help books will work for everyone
.....so true.

Soemtimes the "tone" of a book just irritates, wheras other ones just fit right, IYKWIM?
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby Searching501 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:31 pm

cool, thanks guys :)
[/url]
Searching501

Postby Diminishing » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Another one I just dug up that I am going to re-read:

"Love yourself trim" by Eva Rishan.

(Deals with depression and weight issues as a symtom of depression)

It is kind of a workbook that deals not with dieting, but with the mental issues behind eating.........
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby sassi » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:36 am

Diminishing wrote:I have read Mark Stephens book "Think Slim" and I use the CD a lot: it works very well, for me, well on the mental level.

i just bought this one last week! i'm really enjoying it so far - it really feels like my attitude is the missing piece in the WL puzzle.
sassi

Postby Mogget » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:29 am

I heartily second Paul McKenna's - I Can Make You Thin - and in fact the trance track has a number of NLP patterns that do address common causes of over eating/emotional eating patterns. The trance track is what got me over 15+ years of disordered eating, completely turned around my self esteem and confidence and has so far helped me shed 30+ kg. So yeah BIG endorsement from me. I am a qualified/highly experienced highly skilled NLPer and his techniques and hypnosis are very sound - my only caveat is that being a recording it is painting with a broad brush to cover the most common issues and won't hit every little thing for every indiividual. To help to counteract this repetition is recommended.

Another great book I have found recently "Eat Chocolate, Drink alcohol and be Lean and Healthy" Andrew Jobling - really sensible common sense sustainable approach and info.
I never thought I would witness the destruction of a Universe whilst carrying a naked merchant banker...

Mogget

Return to Books