It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Free Newsletter

Stop the spam

Got some ideas to make this forum and website better? Tell us about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Stop the spam

Postby SoonToBeSlim » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:03 pm

This forum has the worst spam problem I have ever seen. I seriously suggest changing your sign up policy to reduce this.

Also I think the number of subforums could be reduced. I think it is confusing and a lot of things fall under multiple categories, so how do you know which section you are meant to post it in?
I think a lot of stuff just would not be read at all, because not everyone will view every single category, especially when the first half dozen posts in each category are spam. This would also reduce the amount of spam a great deal, if you halved the subforums, you would halve the amount of spam.

I know I haven't been here that long, but these things are some pretty fundamental flaws.
SoonToBeSlim

Re: Stop the spam

Postby Jisgone » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Feel free to PM admin to let them know. We delete it as fast as we can but its just constant!
Jisgone

Postby John » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:04 pm

Surely it can be possible to create some sort of code where you can't post more than 2 or 3 new threads in 24 hours of first joining?
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby Jisgone » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:35 pm

I think the first post of a new user should have to be approved by a mod. There are enough of us mods to allow posts to be approved quickly and it would save us hours of having to delete all 50 spam posts from the same idiot one by one.
Jisgone

Postby John » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Jewles wrote:I think the first post of a new user should have to be approved by a mod. There are enough of us mods to allow posts to be approved quickly and it would save us hours of having to delete all 50 spam posts from the same idiot one by one.

How about the first new thread? If I had to wait for a posting to be approved, in an unknown time frame, I'd go elsewhere. The reason being on other websites, I've waited days for a first posting to be approved on occasion. This has put me off, so if I came across a similar system, I'd just choose another forum.
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby Jisgone » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:43 pm

ahhh the peace of having no spam :)
Jisgone

Postby admin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Over the past month we've been trialing a new way of of approving new account registrations on the forum that appears to have reduced spam dramatically.

The only downside of this new system is that new accounts are manually approved which can take up to a few days given the volume of new signups involved.

Shortly we'll be updating the forum software which might assist us in controlling spam further and much more efficiently.

Regular visitors to the forum and the moderators (who did an exceptional job keeping the spammers at bay by deleting 1,000's of spam posts) should notice the difference.

Even though it appears we've reduced spam dramatically, I'm sure some spam will still appear on the forum from time to time, but not nearly in the volume it has in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion and please keep them coming, we do listen!

Scott. :D
admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestion Box