It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:11 am

Free Newsletter

Hey Guys

A place just for guys to talk.

Moderator: Moderators

Hey Guys

Postby AnonGuy9999 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi Guys,

I wanted to pose a question to the blokes, because I have a bit of knowledge of dieting and weight loss, but its all from my wifes perspective, or from tv shows, which are mainly aimed around weight loss for women. Its difficult to get information about how guys lose weight and what are some of the pitfalls that you guys have come across that are specific to our gender?

The kind of specifics that i'm wondering about is, what are the general trends around males losing weight, do we lose lots of weight to begin with and then taper off? Do we lose weight by sticking to the same diet every week, or do we need to change our diet? These sorts of things. Also, with exercises, i'm not keen on losing all muscles, I want to shape some of my muscles, how do I go about that without going to the gym? I've started on doing crunches, push ups, bicycle kicks and other exercises I'm looking at doing are all about converting my upper body into muscles. I don't want a six pack, but i do want a flat stomach and a nice set of guns ;)

Any help is appreciated :)

thanks,
AnonGuy9999
AnonGuy9999

Re: Hey Guys

Postby John » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Hello and welcome. I'd say that there is no difference between men and woman regarding losing weight. By that I mean that we have the same things that can derail us, and the same things that can help us. I'm not a great exerciser so I can't help there, sorry.

In my own experience, losing weight is 80% psychology, 15% diet and 5% exercise. I base this on why do most people fail at losing weight? Why can someone lose weight for a week or a month, and not a year? I've found that the motivation for losing weight is very important. If the motivation is within the next week (say, if I want to see a movie, but I can't unless I weigh less than the last time I saw one) I am more likely to succeed. If the motivation is a year away (an overseas holiday when I reach goal) there is way less motivation.

Diet - I've found that lots of protein helps.

Exercise - don't do any, so far I don't need it.
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby AnonGuy9999 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:55 am

John wrote:In my own experience, losing weight is 80% psychology, 15% diet and 5% exercise. I base this on why do most people fail at losing weight? Why can someone lose weight for a week or a month, and not a year? I've found that the motivation for losing weight is very important. If the motivation is within the next week (say, if I want to see a movie, but I can't unless I weigh less than the last time I saw one) I am more likely to succeed. If the motivation is a year away (an overseas holiday when I reach goal) there is way less motivation.

Interesting point about the motivation factor. Its not something that I've thought about, I just feel like I'm determined, but as you suggest, this may only be a short term determination. I'll have to work on this, maybe I can look at, instead of the "weight loss" amount, but focus on "Did I achieve eating X amount of carbs this week?" as a measure and the reward... hrm... this is where it gets fuzzy. Going to the movies? Hrmm... only good when there are good flicks on, last month I haven't gone to the movies because there has been nothing I'm interested in. Maybe I'll have to think about this one a bit more.

Thanks for the feedback John. BTW, good job so far on your effort.

thanks,
AnonGuy9999
AnonGuy9999

Postby John » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:05 pm

I've got a few other motivations, other than movies, although I've found there are enough good ones to see an average of one a week. What I've found is that the motivation has to be something you enjoy, but something you can do without. Coffee bought from the supermarket is another one. I have about 5 motivations, plus a few long term future types ("I will never .... until I reach goal weight" sort of thing).

I have been pretty crap at losing weight in the past, but I have to say that since I've properly implemented this idea, my weight loss has been impressively consistant. As an example, the maximum number of consecutive weeks where I've had a loss is 6 over thousands of daily readings in my spreadsheet, but if I weigh in on Monday with a loss, it'll be 7 and I'll have had a lifetime record.
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby nonijuice » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:31 pm

AnonGuy9999 wrote:Hi Guys,

I wanted to pose a question to the blokes, because I have a bit of knowledge of dieting and weight loss, but its all from my wifes perspective, or from tv shows, which are mainly aimed around weight loss for women. Its difficult to get information about how guys lose weight and what are some of the pitfalls that you guys have come across that are specific to our gender?

The kind of specifics that i'm wondering about is, what are the general trends around males losing weight, do we lose lots of weight to begin with and then taper off? Do we lose weight by sticking to the same diet every week, or do we need to change our diet? These sorts of things. Also, with exercises, i'm not keen on losing all muscles, I want to shape some of my muscles, how do I go about that without going to the gym? I've started on doing crunches, push ups, bicycle kicks and other exercises I'm looking at doing are all about converting my upper body into muscles. I don't want a six pack, but i do want a flat stomach and a nice set of guns ;)

Any help is appreciated :)

thanks,
AnonGuy9999

For my part, I've been told to expect some tapering off. I think you're told this so that you don't get demotivated when your weight loss actually plateaus.

Like you, am also frustrated that there are lots of material about weight loss for women, but none for the men.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed
nonijuice

Return to The Boys Club