It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Free Newsletter

Tips for the average bloke

A place just for guys to talk.

Moderator: Moderators

Tips for the average bloke

Postby SamBo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:19 pm

In an attempt to revive this seemingly quiet area of these forums (surely there are more guys out there trying to lose weight) I'd like to have guys here list some weightloss and exercise ideas that have worked for them.

I am very turned off by Gyms (they are expensive, crowded and don't help your confidence levels when you're struggling to use a machine and all these super fit people around you are barely breaking a sweat) so need to find alternatives for exercising.

I am limited to exercises which have very-low or no impact on the knees (knee problems are common in my family). I like to use the cross trainer that I have at home. I crank up the music and go for at least 30 minutes, adjusting my pace between walk and run speeds every few minutes (like in the couch to 5km running plan, which I originally started but stopped due to my knees hurting).
At home I can also stretches (my legs mainly) as well as lift weights. I have two 5kg dumb-bells. Not much I know, but I've never been a strong guy, so need to start somewhere. I also try doing pushups, but I struggle.

What other exercises to you guys do at home, either with or without equipment?
I've been looking at those chin-up bars that you put in a door frame. Anyone here have experience with those? I'm worried I would damage the door frame if I was to use one, even though most of them say the max weight is 100kg :(
30 year old male
100.1kg start weight 12/07/2010
89.8kg current weight 11/11/2010

90kg mini goal - Achieved 11/11/2010
85kg mini-mini goal
80kg main goal - Hopefully before Summer starts
SamBo

Re: Tips for the average bloke

Postby Gordz » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 pm

gday sam.

things that worked for me were lite n easy and running. I also adopted two greyhounds which mean serious walking. Still eating censored food, but as long as you work it off you know?

eat less, move more.

fukk it man, theres all these rules and censored regarding counting calories and what not. Just eat less than you did the day before, and excercise more than you did the day before. if you have a night on the piss, just don't eat!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby mitchymitch » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:53 am

Sam,
Have you tried exercising in a pool? there is loads of benifits to this and you can get a serious workout by using it effectivly

Try something like this

Swim 50m slow
Swim 25m Medium pace
the swim the last 25m flat out 100% (no break between any of these

this is one set, do this 10 - 12 times and as you get fitter increase the distace you swim on interval

The benefits are 2 fold, its a great upper body workout and its similar to doing HIIT training on a treadmill without trashing your knees
My BFL Challenge M, 23, 186cm
Started 18/10/10
-----------------------------
SW: 98.8kgs
CW: 86.5kgs (27/11/11)
GW: 83Kgs By 1/1/12
Wight Loss So Far: 12.5kgs
BF% - ~9%
mitchymitch

Postby patrickkallie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Sam,

I feel the same way about those gyms, it's just too many distractions to get a good workout in. I myself lost over 80 pounds! What really turned my life around was when I went to the doctor and he said that I had super high blood pressure.

I just started out by walking...because of my physical state that was all I really could do. I started cutting back on the sugars. This was one of the best things that I did to loose the weight. After 3 to 4 months of walking...I was jogging about a mile per day.

For me it was a step by step process. It won't happen overnight, but if you see the "big picture" you will be well ahead of the game. Did I want to give up...sure I did! But I always kept in my mind about the high blood pressure diagnosis that the doctor had gave me. That has been my motivation all of these years. Just find something that will motivate you to continue.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is against forum rules to use your signature to advertise a product, service or commercial website.
patrickkallie

Postby Blake2011 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:37 am

Walking and swimming are a great place to start.

Free publication: Australian Guide to Healthy Eating. If link doesn't work you should find it through the main website

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/ ... d-cons.pdf

This has helped set a foundation for me in the past.
Adapt and Overcome
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvKPuAl/]
[/url]
Start Weight 157 kg
Dec 2011 Goal 127 kg
GOAL WEIGHT 100 kg
Blake2011

Return to The Boys Club