It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:28 am

Free Newsletter

Im new and would love some advice?

A place just for guys to talk.

Moderator: Moderators

Im new and would love some advice?

Postby Ready1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Fellas,

I am new to this site but was hoping I could grab some advice from other guys in or have been in a simialr situation. I am 32 years old, I weigh 104kgs and I am 178cms tall. I have a large frame so to start with I would like to get down to 94-95 kgs. This is not where I plan to stop I just know that it was here that I was most comfortable and fealt a hell of a lot healthier. I have two small kids and both my wife and myself work full time which makes excercise difficult as we are quite time poor.

I have slowly put on weight over the last couple of years and the heavier I get the harder running is becoming. I caryy most of my weight in my core which does not help because whenever I go for a run I have lower back pain for days after. I know that my weight gain is the reason I feel so sore from just a run. I still play footy which helps but I have done this for so long now my body seems to be used to this and has not really helped me lose any weight. I have done things to lose 2 or 3kgs here and there but I really want to take my time this time and keep weight off. I dont really have a goal date i want to get this done by as I want to change my entire body and I know this works better if I change the way I think, eat and excercise.

In eating I think that quantity is and has always been my major issue, I nearly always go back for seconds at dinner time, have been times I feel to full from dinner which I know is deffinately wrong. This I think is an easy fix, I need to eat slower to start with and eat til im satisfied not full. I am trying this now and I have noticed that I will get benefits from it. I suffer from reflux and I have really only had this since I hit a weight above 99-100Kgs and stayed there. I use medication for this but would like to work at not needing this as much or at all if i can, doc says this is possible but I have always had some form of reflux even before I was heavy just got worse as I got heavier.

What I would like is any tips and advice on how to get to where I want to be that you guys can help me with.

Thanks to all in advance for your time.

Cheers
Ready1

Re: Im new and would love some advice?

Postby Awaha » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Im in the same boat as you are... have lots of weight to loose but eating large portion was also my issue...

I guess the basic hint of always eating your breakfast at the begining of the day, and eat small meals during the day.... at night time when I am about to eat dinner, I would drink a 2 glasses of water and to have a glass during and after the meal. It keeps me feeling full.

I'm using Lite'n'Easy at the moment, and am training my brain to register what is considered as a "normal" portion... but you can also try the mind trick of using a smaller plate...

Now during my weekend off days, I found that once I eat my normal servings, I already feel full compare to how much I used to eat...

Another one I found I suffer from is sleep apnea... from my research in to my snoring issues, I found that with lack of good sleep, it can also contribute to weight gain. heart issues, diabetes, etc... scary... suggest you do some research...

Good luck mate :)
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFgBXFf/

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. ~Lance Armstrong
Awaha

Postby Gordz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19 pm

yeah I suffer from sleepapnea too. My ex said it scared her shtless, I wouldn't breathe for over a minute apparently.

Ready1, lite n easy really is great. I lost a fair bit of weight on that, but for me, simply eating less and running more is working. We're worlds apart body-wise by the sounds of it, and you have 10 years on me so I'd really suggest strongly that you look at lite n easy. Hell, your wifey might get in on it too, and I ASSURE you, you'll find yourself with a hell of alot more time on your hands when you dont have to shop, cook, wash up or decide what to eat.

www.liteneasy.com.au

-Gordz
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby mitchymitch » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:44 am

as another young pup (23) i dont have lots of world expericene, but the one single caytlist for me was found out exactly how many calories i was truely eating, weight loss is quite a simple thing when you think about it, all it is is calories in vs calories out, while i say its simple in theory its more diffcult to impliment but i digress.

The caytlist for starting my weight loss was seeing how much i actually eat, i did this using 2 important tools, a set of food scales and fitday (which is a wabsite)

What i did is for a week i wrote down in fitday EVERYTHING i ate, including portion sizes (you have to be honest thus the scales), as the missus to weigh everything that goes into a meal and calculate roughly how much of the total meal you ate in that sitting, once you track that for a week compare it to what someone should be eating of your size height etc and go from there. you need a datum or reference to see why you are not losing wight before you can change your food habits

"Mitch"
My BFL Challenge M, 23, 186cm
Started 18/10/10
-----------------------------
SW: 98.8kgs
CW: 86.5kgs (27/11/11)
GW: 83Kgs By 1/1/12
Wight Loss So Far: 12.5kgs
BF% - ~9%
mitchymitch

Postby Gordz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:03 am

have you had a poke around www.calorieking.com.au mitch?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby mitchymitch » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:12 am

nah i havent, im looking at it now, so what does it do? i like the idea that its aussie and thus has aussie foods might join up
My BFL Challenge M, 23, 186cm
Started 18/10/10
SW: 98.8kgs
CW: 86.5kgs (27/11/11)
GW: 83Kgs By 1/1/12
Wight Loss So Far: 12.5kgs
BF% - ~9%
mitchymitch

Return to The Boys Club