It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 pm

Free Newsletter

gluten free, casein free

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

gluten free, casein free

Postby yummymummy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:53 pm

The whole family is about to embark on a gluten/casein free diet for about 3mths to see if it helps improve my sons behaviour, it will be better if the whole family does it then I wont be leaving him out if you know what I mean??
But where to start! can anyone recommend any books, websites, food brands that we can buy?? my son is underweight anyway so I need some high calorie stuff for him and Ive still got some kgs to lose so I need the low cal stuff.
Ive got bread, rice milk worked ou but I need an alternative to musuli bars andsnack type foods and a casein free cheese that is tasty.
plus does anyone know about calcium supplements that children can have or is tefortified rice milk enough?????

HHEELLPP!!
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:25 pm

hmmm Im really sorry but I really dont know either....I think there are some ppl on the forum who are gluten intolerant so you should get some good ideas from them ;) as far as museli bars etc go, maybe have a look in the healthfood aisle in the supermarket? Connor was lactose intolerant as a bub and I found lots of great alternatives there :)I have some questions for you though, :) what is casein? Are diets without gluten and casein used for behaviour? Are they effective?? :) thanks lovee! :D xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby rivenriver » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:38 pm

A friend of mine at college is gluten intolerant. She eats a lot of rice, and the kitchen get in special bread for her. She eats jam and tosat for breakie, and eats a lot of salad/veggies. Often she gets spaghetti sauce, but has it with rice not noodles. And she eats a lot of stir fries and stuff. And steaks, pieces of meat. It's funny cos sometimes the kitchen staff forget, and she has to wait for the chef to cook her something special cos she can't eat what the rest of us have been given.

I think my family went gluten free for a little while when I was a kid. We found a lot of alternative snack foods in the supermarket and stuff. Try dried fruit and nuts - you can get them in little lunch box size boxes. Also they make special biscuits and cereals and things. I dunno about cheese. I know Mainland do a really yummy vegetarian cheese, maybe that is also good for you? I guess you just have go over the packaging. Oh, and I saw gluten free chocolate available at easter time. For treats and stuff ;). What about Sakata rice crackers, that come in those little chip-style packets? They might be good kid food.

Good luck!
rivenriver

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:56 pm

casein is a salt of calcium. it is also used in the manufacture of knitting needles, adhesives, binders, food additives, protective coatings and plastics. the plastic handle of your knife might be made of casein!
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:09 pm

Hmm.. I really don't know.. can you maybe try to see a dietican/naturopath or someone who might be able to give you a better idea of whats out there? even maybe try a health food shop for advice?

good luck! :) hope it works!
Mandie

Postby SarahC » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:11 pm

Empower foods now have a gluten free range, some of it looks pretty yummy actually, just check the sugar content though...
http://www.empowerfoods.com.au
:)
SarahC

Postby milkyway » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm

rivenriver wrote:Oh, and I saw gluten free chocolate available at easter time. For treats and stuff ;)

Most chocolate is gluten free anyway (some just promote it), just not sure if it's casein free - the dark stuff might be. Mmmm...
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby milkyway » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:42 pm

PS - Forgot to add that I hope the diet goes well Jody and i'm sure the whole family, not just Riley will benefit.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby yummymummy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks girls, I will check it all out and see how I go thanks again!

The reasoning behind the diet is there is some evidence showing autistic kids are intollerant to gluten and caesin, it doesnt break down in their bodies well and can turn into a opoid like substance, enhancing their behaviour problems alot ofpeople have seen great improvements in their behaviour when these things are removed from their diet, mind you there are people that have seen no improvement at all, so I kind of figured why not try it and see if we see any change in his concentration, focus, calmness.

I think the best way to take this on is gradual changes, I have found some gluten free cereal and pastas, bread and some good milk alternatives plus rice crackers that doesnt have wheat in them (some do go figure!!) but the bread is pretty awfull not toasted so im on the hunt for a better one so that it can go in to lunch boxes
Jody

[/url]
yummymummy

Postby milkyway » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:19 pm

Good luck Jody - you've got nothing to lose by trying (except perhaps those persistent pounds ;))
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:37 pm

hey jody

i really believe in dietary changes to children with different conditions. my nephew has ADHD and my sister is constantly feeding him things with tomato sauce- be it chips with sauce, sausages with sauce, spag bol etc etc. it really affects his behaviour. same with juices. the acids in these foods drive him up the wall literally! he is like a different kid when he visits other people and eats and drinks different things
kate_turner2000

Postby BusyMum » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:51 am

My DD is allergic to egg. We actually had to take her for a blood test last week (at 21months, it wasnt a fun exercise) to see what else she is allergic to. She came out in hives a few weeks ago and we dont what she had had to get them. But we buy alot of foods that I know are also gluten free (not 100% about the casien tho) from http://www.hullabaloofoods.com . Its an australian company created by a mother with a child who has multiple food allergies. We've found some great products and treats particularly from there.
Angela.
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiWIiQF/]
BusyMum

Postby yummymummy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:31 pm

thanks I will check that out, we are going for blood tests soon too when I can get back into see the paed :?
Jody

[/url]
yummymummy

Return to Diet Talk