It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:16 am

Free Newsletter

Coffee

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Coffee

Postby tanya » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:52 pm

Hey guys. i just have a question on coffee and artificial sweeteners.
Do you guys think that they slow down weightloss at all? Or do either of them not make any difference?
I drink a couple cups of coffee a day and i use equal sugar sweetner in it instead of real sugar.
Just wanted peoples opinions on these
Thanks guys.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby Mandie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:35 pm

There's various ideas here.

Some schools of thought say that caffeine helps you lose weight, because it is a stimulant and speeds up the metabolism. There have been some dodgy studies that show that caffeine breaks up fat (and it is a common ingredient in cellulite patches) but the evidence is dodgy at best.

Other people say that caffeine makes you dehydrated (true), and you have "highs" and "lows" that make it more difficult for you to exercise and be healthy.

It's really up to you. I'm rather caffeine addicted so I will never give up my at least one coffee a day habit.. but like all things, it's best in moderation so limit yourself to 2 cups per day and try to have some coffee free days in the week.

Oh, and some people are allregic to articifical sweeteners and can't tolerate them, but if that;s not you, you can keep using them. There is no good evidence to say they are unhealthy.. again though, moderation is the key!
Mandie

Postby Nowillpower » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:36 pm

Yeah I've been wondering the same thing. For the past few months I've only been drinking tea but have just started up drinking about 2 coffees a day. Been so tired so feel like I need them! Never know if it's going to hinder my loss or not!
Nowillpower

Postby loveat116 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:02 pm

I found that when I started drinking coffee I was LESS hungry, and more alert and had more energy.

But its got to be the right kind of coffee.

A tsp of nescafe 43, with an equal sweetner and a dash of light milk is good! Only like 150kj.

But a Grande Full Fat Machiato-whatever lol is NOT!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby tanya » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:52 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys. I don't think i could give up my coffee. I hate the headaches when i don't have any for a day or two. I drink it more through winter and start to only drink a lil bit of it through summer coz its usually too hot.
[/url]

tanya

Postby yummymummy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 pm

I drink coffee, and Im in the opinion if it is going to hinder/ help weight loss its only going to do it in a minor way so, if e are good most of the time and drink water to prevent dehydration in the big scheme of things its not going to have a huge mpact
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Misstoodles » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:31 pm

Hmm I dont know, I've heard that coffee speeds up the metabolism, too. But I prefer to drink green tea with lemon in the morning because I feel it's better for me. A large deciding factor for me not to drink coffee is because it stains teeth, not so much a dehydration thing because I drink loads of water.

Also I don't really bake anything and personally can go without sweetening things, so I don't use any arterficial sweeteners. I've heard that they really aren't good for you at all, but as far as getting in the way of weight loss, I've no idea. Might be worth a Google actually because occasionally I do drink Pepsi or Coke Zero.

Oh, and just incase anyone would be interested, recently I heard that calcium might contribute to weight loss, my Uncle had seen something on TV about it. I've not googled it but thought some of you might want to see what it's about.

Take care,

Megan
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby SarahC » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:43 am

Here's a link to another discussion about coffee from a while back...

http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2141

I think the conclusion was that a coffee here and there, when it is needed, is not all bad :wink:
SarahC

Postby Mandie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:53 am

MissToodles - there have actually been some good studies to show that people who were calcium deficient had more trouble losing weight than people who got their recommended daily intake of calcium...

So we should all be aiming for at least 2-3 serves of dairy per day, and if you can't for whatever reason, a calcium suplpement might be the way to go :)
Mandie

Postby tanya » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks for the link SarahC i had a quick read of it. I think i will try to start cutting down how many cups of coffee i have a day seeing as it warms up i will slow down on them anyway.
Mandie how big is a serve of calcium supposed to be?
[/url]

tanya

Postby Mandie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:48 pm

Calcium - if you're a teenager, you need around 1000mg of Calcium per day. When you get a bit older, 800mg is probably enough and once you pass menopause, you should have 1000mg per day again. You should have a bit more if you're pregnant (1100) and more still if breast feeding (1300mg).

Generally, aim for 1000mg of calcium per day and you'll be right. :)

An idea of servings:
1 cup skim milk = 310mg
1 cup soy milk = 34mg (soy drinkers usually need supplements!)
1 cup fortified soy milk = 300mg
20g hard cheese = 150mg
20g cottage cheese = 14mg
200g yoghurt = 330-360mg (depending on the yoghurt)
50g salmon = 115mg
60ml custard = 70mg
2 scoops of icecream = 80mg (damn, wish it was more!)

Caffeine actually inhibits your metabolism of calcium so you need slightly more if you have your calcium servings with coffee.

Basically, three serves of calcium-rich products per day - like some milk, cheese and yoghurt should do it. You might need a calcium supplement if you don't think you can get 1000mg in a day. You can buy these from the chemist/natural food store, just make sure you get a tablet that has 1000mg of elemental Calcium in it. You should take it at night, on an empty stomach (so just before you go to bed) and don't take it near any caffeine products.

Hope that helped :)
Mandie

Postby tanya » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:18 pm

Thanks mandie. I think i would be lucky to reach half the amount that i am supposed to have. I might have to look into some calcium supplements.
[/url]

tanya

Postby Cass101 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:57 pm

Caffeine also inhibits your iron absorption as well! It can make you feel lethargic if your not getting enough.

In regards to caffeine being a diuretic, yes it is but it doesn't even affect the amount of water that is in the cup of coffee. That is if you drink a cup of coffee you don't wee out that full amount... does that make sense?!?!

Good advice about calcium mandie!
Start 99kg
Current 86.6kg
1st Goal 85
2nd " 75
3rd " 65
END 58 - 60kg!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6gNSIt/]
[/url]
Cass101

Return to Diet Talk