It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:25 am

Free Newsletter

Snacking

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Snacking

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:48 pm

I'm finding that I'm having trouble with snacking in the arvo. It seems to be that I'll start preparing dinner and while I'm in the kitchen, it's a handfull of this here, and a bite of that there.

I'm going to try to set a specific time for a sit down snack and make sure I only ever eat at the table to train myself not to snack 'on the run'. Any additional ideas would be most welcome though!!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Angel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:59 pm

Do you think you are eating enough filling foods at lunchtime? I find if I eat filling foods (Low GI foods) at lunchtime that this holds me over to tea time so I don't snack.

If you are unable to set aside time for a snack before preparing dinner:
    prepare a plate of healthy snack foods - snow peas, cut up carrot, celery, cucumber and the like to snack on while you prepare dinner - added bonus that this will fill you up with good foods before dinner so you will probably eat less at dinner; or
    have a plate of snack foods of your choice - at least this way you'll know how much extra you are eating and in turn, your weightloss efforts will not suffer; or
    hows about chewing gum while preparing dinner?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:23 pm

I like the idea of chewing gum. The foods I snack on are generally healthy (ie, usually fruits and nuts rather than biscuits) I just eat more than I need.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Angel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:49 pm

Putting it on a plate or in a bowl would stop you from eating more than you should - perhaps make it a rule that you can only eat what is on the plate???

Good luck
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Tas » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:41 am

If I know I am going to be tempted to nibble away while preparing dinner I normally have something before I start and leave it to the last minue to prepare the dinner. That way I am in a rush and forget LOL
Cheers
Maria
Tas

Four in the afternoon is the worst for me

Postby mrs mutt » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:52 am

Hi Dawn
I find that when I am starting to prep for the evening meal I have to have something, yesterday I made 12 choc muffins for hubby to take to work for his guys and only 10 made it to work, ooops!

But what I normally do is have a cup of soup, I make it in bulk and keep it in the freezer. Just make the soup from any veg on your eating plan free list and if you add barley and a bit of meat that just means that it is a lot more fibre and a little more protein.

One thing that I have learned from when I was ultra low carbing ( I became very ill from this) is that you can minus 1 carb gram for every gram of fibre you eat
eg: 10 grams carb + 6 grams fibre = 4 carbs
And the fibre in the soup will help cleanse your system so it's a win win situation.

But if you are like me, every now and then you have to bust and have that treat. Although I have to say that I don't even really like muffins that much nor really chocolate except for that craving once a month for one piece of choc, my lapse was purely out o fspite to myself I think, because I told myself no and then did it anyway.

Sorry my friend this may not help you but it did help me to vent :oops:

Robyn - If you think you can, or think you can't, you'll be proved right
mrs mutt

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:40 pm

LOL, venting is always good.

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Diet Talk