It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:57 pm

Free Newsletter

The Atkins Diet

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

The Atkins Diet

Postby DChel » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:52 am

Hi all! I was told that they Atkins diet was a quick way to lose weight and keep it off. I lost ten pounds in a couple of weeks on it but now I'm not on it although I try. The problem isn't that I keep eating carbohydrates, but I"m not eating at all because we run out of protein-filled foods. For the first two weeks of atkins you can only have 20g of carbs so I'm stuck eating boiled eggs, fried eggs, and bacon all day until dinner which then I have some vegetables and some meat. The problem is that I go through the eggs and bacon so quickly, then the only meat that's left is ground beef and I don't know any atkins friendly recipes for ground beef. Then I end up starving and have no choice to go back to eating foods with carbs until I go grocery shopping next. Are there any specific foods I can buy that have low-no carbs so I can snack on them or any good recipes for this? I'm just a tad frustrated..:-/

Postby Justjudy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:15 pm

I tried Atkins once, and lasted a day :oops: I have had friends who dropped a lot of weight quickly on it, but it just didn't suit me. Good luck with it.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

Postby Kelsbels » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:09 pm

I have had friends do the Atkins aswell, both endef losing heaps of weight, however had to stop because they got kidney infection from the diet...
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.

Postby SarahC » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:31 pm

20g carbs, that must be so hard. I'm vegetarian so I'd never be able to get down to that. 60-70g is the best I can do!

Low carb snack ideas.....
Almonds, yum!!!!
Empower foods have low carb muffins, biscuits and breads that are delicious...
A tin of tuna
Cheese of any description
A protein shake

Brain just ran out :oops: If I think of anything else I'll post it up. Good luck!!

Postby Juddy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:10 am

Atkins works.

The problem I found with it, is that you NEED some carbohydrates to keep going. If you stay on a really low-carb diet, I've found that my body basically stops metabolising... I stop losing weight and just plateau.

The most I lost was 4 kilos in one day - I did a long-distance mountain biking trek... I had NO energy, and couldn't move at the end... I had to call dad to pick me up.

So don't go too extreme because it is not healthy.

Postby SarahC » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:01 am

I find that too, I get tired, but my brain goes all soggy and I can't really think properly..... hang on, it's like that usually, but it just gets a bit worse :lol:

I made this for my family at christmas... not a carb in sight, and it's delicious:

Mix together 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (I used the powdery stuff), 2 cups almond meal, and some seasonings such as minced garlic, onion powder, basil, oregano etc depending on your tastes. Put it in a lined baking tray (big enough so it spreads out thinly, about 2cm thick or so) and cook on 200 degrees for about 15 mins. Then cut into squares. You can then rebake them to make them more crispy. Very yum! (if you make 24 pieces, its 360kJ per piece)

Return to Diet Talk