It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:26 pm

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby electrongirl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:01 am

depending on the operating hours of your stores, if they are closed on Sunday most supermarkets mark their meat down on Saturday afternoon.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby Karnak » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:36 pm

I've noticed that Frozen Vegies can be a bit cheaper to fresh ones, especially from places like Aldi. Also theres less waste and more convenient and all research shows (check out choice) that the nutritional values are similar.

Sure fresh is best but its not a bad option if your trying to cut costs.

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:05 pm

Frozen veggies are absolutely fabulous, and so versatile! You can do so much with them; stirfrys, pastas, sauces, etc etc. They are actually said to be better for you and retain more nutrients than fresh as they are snap frozen as soon as they are picked, whereas fresh veggies are picked and then have to travel who knows how long to the shops, and then some places store them for even LONGER!!

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:35 am

I find frozen veggies are perfect to make simple and quick vegetable soup. I just throw some in a pot with stock, some herbs and maybe a tin of beans or left-over rice and then put it all in a blender once it's cooked. No chopping, no mess, no fuss!

Postby Gal Friday » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:52 am

Every cent counts is what you need to remember. I know that the difference between 90cents and 95cents doesnt seem big, but it all helps. Be willing to try new brands that may be cheaper.

Your local grocer is often so much cheaper. If you can avoid it, do not buy your fresh food in Woolies or Coles. They are usually always expensive. In Canberra we have a local growers market every weekend, and it is huge. And you can save so much. However it is important to only buy what you need to buy as we sometimes go overboard because everything looks so good! Some women at work have a system where they only take a small amount of money with them so that they cannot overspend.

I will reiterate the lentils comment. Cheap and healthy at the same time.

There is also a website that I have looked at a few times, based in New Zealand (so the seasons are the same as here)

Freeze things, dont throw them out. Take a look at what you throw out before using it (because it goes off etc) and get better at freezing things. Even if you have to cook it up and freeze it. That isa huge thing with us.

And... grow your own! If you have the space, you can grow things like corriander and other herbs that you may normally buy in the supermarket. They are so much cheaper this way. And growing from seeds is cheaper than buying a punnet.
Gal Friday

Return to Diet Talk