It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Free Newsletter

Diet soft drinks

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Diet soft drinks

Postby Juddy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:05 pm

This is something that has pestered my all my dieting years.

The key arguments against drinking diet soft drinks are:
    They are worse for you than normal soft drink
    They cause cancer

Many soft drinks add benzoate as a anti-microbial agent and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to their products. Under certain conditions of storage and handling of the soft drinks, the benzoate and ascorbic acid can form benzene. Benzene is a carcinogen. The levels of benzene detected in most of the soft drinks tested was below five parts per billion, which is considered safe for humans.
http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournu ... enzene.htm

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613 ... ore-weight
http://www.emaxhealth.com/92/14317.html

Caffeine in soft drinks can also help boost your metabolism.
http://www.usgyms.net/caffeine.htm

Of course though, green tea with caffeine would be healthier:
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2006/de ... -workouts/

The main reason why I've quit drinking Pepsi max and other caffeinated diet drinks is because the caffeine made me tired later on in the day and I had trouble sleeping. But now that I'm back to dieting, it is my beverage of choice after water.

Hope this was interesting for some of you. I'm not saying diet drinks are awesome for losing weight or anything, but could possibly be a small help.
Juddy

Postby electrongirl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:25 pm

I am glad I quit Coke Zero!!!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Juddy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:26 am

electrongirl wrote:I am glad I quit Coke Zero!!!!

Great stuff!

Curious though as to your reason(s)? Apart from the obvious general well-being in terms of caffeine consumption etc.

I think you said something about reading stories online?
Juddy

Postby bferbear » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:23 am

I found that diet softdrinks bloated me very easily and made me super gassy. I felt uncomfortable after drinking them. I will occasionally have them if I am out but otherwise stick to water, tea, and coffee as the rule.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby electrongirl » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:33 am

For quite some time I have heard how bad artificial sweeteners are and also recently I have heard that diet drinks actually make you crave more sugar etc.

My mum who is a vegan and who doesn't consume anything unnatural, is staying with us at the moment and she has kind of enforced the whole "diet drinks are bad" thing on me.

So I decided to see if I could stop. So far so good!

Its not the caffiene thing as I LOVE my coffee!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby grugwashere » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:39 am

i dont really drink any soft drinks as i cant have caffiene, but if i do its lemonade and its just the normal one, i prefer water anyhow... but it is interesting to see how bad diet soft drinks are for you, i heard somewhere (now this could be absolute crap lol) that diet soft drinks drank regularly are actually worse for weightloss than drinking regular ones occasionally because they contain more caffiene and this makes the body absorb more fat or some crap like that... wonder if its true :?
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby loveat116 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:49 am

grugwashere wrote:i dont really drink any soft drinks as i cant have caffiene, but if i do its lemonade and its just the normal one, i prefer water anyhow... but it is interesting to see how bad diet soft drinks are for you, i heard somewhere (now this could be absolute crap lol) that diet soft drinks drank regularly are actually worse for weightloss than drinking regular ones occasionally because they contain more caffiene and this makes the body absorb more fat or some crap like that... wonder if its true :?

I highly doubt thats true, caffiene is in most diet pills, which make you lose weight rapidly. So i highly doubt they absorb fat.

I drink Pepsi Max and Coke Zero a lot. I dont drink a lot of water, cause I hate the taste.

I have never experienced ANY side effects with diet drinks, like fatigue or increased sugar cravings. I get it differs from person to person.

I love my diet drinks! I dont want to be drinking sugary soft drinks with all the calories, and they taste good?

When someone gives me hard factual information that it leads to cancer I would probably stop.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby loveat116 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:58 am

Coke Zero contains 35mg of caffiene
Regular Coke contains 35mg of caffiene
http://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm

A cup of coffee contains about 100mg of caffiene in comparison.

loveat116

Postby SarahC » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:58 am

I heard as well that the sweetners (think it was the sweetners anyway) in the diet soft drink can increase your appetite. Not sure if that's true or not.... alcohol definitley has that effect, haven't experienced it with soft drink... :?
SarahC

Postby loveat116 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:59 am

I'd like to find out some info about that.

Artificial sweetners like splenda and equal make me uhhh.. gassy and stuff lol! so i've stopped using that.

If im going to the beach or wearing a dress out somehwere i wont drink soft drinks cause they make me bloated....

loveat116

Postby Juddy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:47 am

I should have pointed out to certain parts of those thinks a bit better, but all these things raised have been addressed.

There are links to the risk of cancer due to artificial sweeteners in rats, but not humans.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12155793/

Also, as mentioned - due to the artificial sweeteners, you body can be tricked into thinking there is food packed full of energy available, and will start craving more after drinking a diet soft drink.

I don't personally seem to have this problem (I drink a fair bit of Pepsi Max at the moment). It could be because of the regular meals (about 6-8 in a day), but could also be because of the Flax Seed oil capsules which seem to reduce appetite a bit.

However, I did refer to an article about caffeine boosting metabolism. I severely doubt that it'd assist in absorbing more fat than usual... that sounds like a myth.

If you look on the back of metabolism boosters, they often contain ingredients such as - caffeine, capsicum/chilli and green tea.
Juddy

Postby Gal Friday » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:51 am

I love my diet coke. I dont want to give it up! And I probably wont. It is too hard trying to stay on track and give up all the yummy foods without giving up something that diet-wise is not bad for me.

I personally think that if we are going to get cancer we are going to get it from the pollution in the air, the radiation from the powerlines, the crap they put in washing detergent, the chemical sprays on our food.... the list goes on!
Gal Friday

Postby Juddy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:02 am

I think you're right, everything contains chemicals in them. But I don't think these are the primary cause for cancer - I think that maybe cancer has been a part of our species for a long time, and might come about naturally.
Juddy

Postby rivenriver » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:37 pm

I think if you're drinking more soft drink than you are water, that's an issue. And probably not very good for you. But if you're drinking soft drink like you drink beer, like one or two every couple of days, then I think diet drinks are a great option.

For me, they don't make me hungry - they make me full! Some days if I'm hungry in the afternoon, I grab a diet soft drink instead of eating - the volume fills me up, and the sweetness convinces me that I've eaten something more substantial than water.

And as far as cancer goes, well everything gives you cancer. We can't live without vitamin D, and the only way we can get that is via sunlight. But sunlight also gives you cancer. One way or the other, you'll die. Anything in moderation is totally fine, I reckon.
rivenriver

Postby Juddy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:12 pm

I drink about 1-4 cans of pepsi max a day! It is a bit much I guess, but I've temporarily stopped drinking coffee, and therefore I've substituted it :P
Juddy

Next

Return to Diet Talk