It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 am

Free Newsletter

Is the Meat you're buying really fresh?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Is the Meat you're buying really fresh?

Postby Dolly » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:09 am

How do you tell if the meat you are purchasing is really fresh?
Click Here to find out more - http://www.mercola.com/2006/mar/7/how_y ... ounter.htm
Dolly

Postby natalie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:43 pm

Thanks I am going to have a look at it now.

Natalie :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

"All we have is here and now"
natalie

Postby Angel » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:26 pm

I remember this being in the news some time ago, they were adding stuff to mince so it looked bright red - nice and fresh.

Reckon it is safer and healthier to eat very little meat.

Thanks, you've just given me another reason to avoid meat.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby hushpuppy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:32 pm

ther was something on today tonight a while back about putting in a chemical that makes it look bright but i could have been packed days ago
This reminds me of a story i wonce got told from a girl who worked in a deli at coles
They were actually told that if they droped stuff on the floor to pick it up and wipe it of and put it back on the shelf
The big bungs of salami where up there hanging for like a week and they wiped down the excess every morning to make it look new :x
Funny
when she told me this i was pregnant with my first child and went into labour that night lol
I think it was because i felt so sick
eeeeeew

Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Groovychic » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:49 am

Most of our meat comes off the farm. I do buy chicken but mainly from a butcher. They say it is better to buy meat from a butcher as they tend to have it fresher but I dont know. We eat mainly fish, which my partner catches, which immediately once caught gets put in an ice slurry, then is kept very cold all the way home and filleted and packed straight into the freezer. I don't think I could buy fish from anywhere as you don't know what they have done to it. Our beef comes from the paddock. A butcher does cut it up for us but we know when it was killed and when we get it back and it goes straight into the freezer. The lamb is butchered by my partner, so we know exactly what goes on with that and again goes straight into bags and into the freezer. Plus they are free range I guess you would call it. We know whats been put on the grass and whats been injected into them. Even our eggs come off the farm and they are free range. But not everyone can live with this luxury. And I guess you have to remember that the public has been buying this meat from the stores for years and years and years with the same tricks going on and only recently has it ever come to our attention. If you buy meat then you take a risk. Personally I would buy it from the butcher. It may cost you a few more $$$ but I should think it would be fresher and better. You might have to do some research on it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby dragonfly » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:21 pm

we have our own sheep, but for the rest it scares me. being in the country we also buy meat which has been frozen and defrosted, and we end up refreezing it oursleves. bit scary. but we havent been sick so.... fingers crossed.
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby Countrymum » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:38 pm

Hi, My name is Carlie and I'm new to the site.
:D I'm a Highland beef producer on a property near Ballarat.

HIGHLAND BEEF FACTS:
•40% less fat than normal beef
•Less fat = Less cooking time
•Official beef of choice of the English Royal Family
•Naturally Pasture raised, not grain fed & Hormone Free
•Independent testing laboratories have found that grass-fed Highland beef is actually lower in cholesterol than chicken
•Highland beef is unsurpassed for flavour and tenderness
Each cut of beef carries just the right amount of marbling through the meat to give that succulence and flavour so typical of old fashioned traditional beef

If you're looking for an alternative to feedlot, hormone pumped beef that is fresh read on!

Basically, I provide my customers with beef direct from the farm. It cuts out the 'middle man' and is all legimate, a local butcher cuts up the meat for me and I deliver it.

I am looking for customers that are interested in receiving quality lean beef for great prices. Depending on the quanity of beef ordered, it varies from $7-8 a kilo. In a pack you will receive mince, sausages, steaks and roasts. Great value!!

I will deliver to your house for free within 100kms of Ballarat. I will consider travelling further if a large quanity of meat is ordered. Maybe you could consider involving your family and friends to reduce the costs further.

My Highland beef is a bargain! I recently noted lean mince for sale at my local butchers for $11.99 a kilo!

Please contact me by my email [email protected]

I look forward to your reply!
Countrymum

Return to Diet Talk