It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Identify childhood habits

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Identify childhood habits

Postby Fireball » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:24 am

I wonder how many ppl are really trapped in habits that we just don't identify.

When I was young it was expected we be frugal. If there was something special eg some ham in the fridge you couldn't have "a snack". It would be considered rude and greedy to slice off a piece of ham and eat it, so I would make a sandwich which was acceptable. It was only recently I realised I can just slice off a piece of ham and eat it. Don't add Kj for bread, margarine etc. grrr :evil:

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby jodie259 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:38 pm

my childhood downfall is:

eat everything on your plate... and the starving children in Africa!

I virtually lick a plate clean... regardless of how much food is on it.

I remember there was something on my plate I didn't like, and wouldn't eat. Mum made me sit at the table all night... then to bed. And the next morning I was forced to eat it cold.

No wonder I don't speak to my mum now. I will never inflict this torture onto my kids.
Mum of 2
Shaun born 27/05/06 & Shelli born 26/11/07
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHe6RPO/]
[/url]
jodie259

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:26 pm

I was lucky. I wasn't forced to eat anything I didn't want to eat, and I wasn't forced to eat everything on my plate if I wasn't hungry.

Of course that's not saying my childhood set me up for perfect food attitudes in adulthood! While on most days my sweets intake was limited, at birthday parties I could eat whatever I liked. I remember one time when I was about seven and had three helpings of pavlova in a single sitting! Unfortunately that means I view celebrations and happy days as being linked with unlimited sugary food. Food was fun, not just something to stop you being hungry. If I'd learned more moderation as a child I might not be so keen to have seconds now!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Definitely sneaking food.
When my brother, sister and I were younger, my parents had "their food" in the other cupboard, and stashed in their room. My brother, sister and I used to always sneak their food, especially the Milo hidden in the dishwasher, and the Kelloggs Cornflake Choc Dot Krispies (remember those!?) in the other cupboard. We used to shove the wrappers down the back of things and under couch cushions etc.

No wonder my sister is obese and I was overweight too :roll: :roll: If I'm ever a mum I'm going to try my hardest to have NORMAL food ideas, even if it's just in front of my kids!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby bferbear » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm the youngest in a large family and I learnt at an early age that if I didn't want my older brothers stealing my dinner I had to wolf it down fast or if you wanted extra veges or more meat you had to be the first finished. That also meant that you couldn't save anything for later otherwise it would be gone when you went back for it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Gal Friday » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:03 pm

The sneaking hidden food thing for sure.

Also food as a reward. Even the little things "if you are good you can have a treat", that sort of thing. As an adult I think I hit this "well I can do what I want" attitude, so I ate what I wanted. But felt guilty.

My mum was always trying to lose weight and that stuff comes through too. My dad always manages to make us feel bad about eating certain things, so mum hid it which means I do!
Gal Friday

Postby Juddy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:17 pm

I had the "eat everything on your plate" one.

Thesedays I just scrape half of my plate off before I eat if i feel it's too much and then will go back for more if need be :D
Juddy

Postby hushpuppy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:55 pm

Food as a reward is a big thing for me . Also shopping day was always take out day so we had a big lot of KFC for dinner every thursday night . It took me a long time to break that habit that shopping day i could eat takeaway and not think of the consequences
Jule
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby shelbel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:07 pm

Jules im the same! My mom always had a thing for shopping day! Take out, a chocolate and the thats life mag! Im still trying to learn i dont need to buy a choc or mag at the supermarket! :roll:
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby sassi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:40 am

this is such an interesting thread - i hadn't really thought this through properly before.

i think the food as a reward is me as well. my mum was a teacher and she'd bring a treat with me that she'd get on her way home - usually something like an icy pole, doughnut or packet of chips. now, if something goes right or wrong, i look to food to treat myself and make me feel better :oops:

my mum also loves to cook for or feed people food they love - it's almost like one way she shows how much she loves you? i'm off the hook a bit cos my bf loves icecream so now every sunday she 'asks' (i.e. tells) him if he wants an icecream cone & regardless of his answer, she gets him one! i've found myself copying that behaviour & i need to snap out of it before i have kids.
sassi

Postby hushpuppy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:42 pm

Hehe Shel my mum still gets a choc every shopping day good thing m not a real choc eater but i still by my magazines lol i have to read the gossip mags
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby shelbel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:58 pm

At least mags dont add to the cals for the day! LOL :lol:
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Definitely trained to eat everything off my plate... or no dessert :lol:

This isn't really a childhood habit, more developed later in high school. My mum would always pick me up if she thought I was eating to much, like if it was the tenth time I'd opened the cupboard and looked in... there would be a comment made. Maybe that's why I started sneaking into the kitchen at night time, after everyone was asleep. I could eat as much as I liked without anyone knowing!
SarahC

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:12 pm

sassi wrote:i think the food as a reward is me as well. my mum was a teacher and she'd bring a treat with me that she'd get on her way home - usually something like an icy pole, doughnut or packet of chips. now, if something goes right or wrong, i look to food to treat myself and make me feel better :oops:

That's funny as, Sarah :P :P My mum was a teacher too and she also brought us 3 kids home a treat every day for after school!!! Usually something like a Freddo, Milky Way, Mint Pattie, Coconut Rough Pattie, something small :P
zeedeveelgirl

Postby sassi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:42 pm

oh wow - that's so funny that they did the same things! i think it had something to do with her getting home a while before dinner time - and yeah, my mum did the peppermint patties & coconut roughs as well!
sassi

Next

Return to Diet Talk