It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Changing my eating habits...

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Changing my eating habits...

Postby Bri » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi I hope it's ok I post this but i would love some advice on how to deal with eating habits.

I have changed a lot of my eating habits for healthier options eg I now have one muffin for breaky or weeties or cornflakes (no sugar on them like I used to), I no longer drink soft drink at all just water and on the odd occasion juice my lunch is normally a sandwich with either ham or tuna and salad stuff

but when it comes to dinner that's where it all comes unstuck, I am not a patient cook at all I hate the idea of spending even 10mins chopping stuff up, and then on nights like tonight where it is so hot I may even order out or want something really quick that won't use a lot of energy and because i have three fussyish kids and a fussy DH a lot of salad stuff they won't eat.

So how do I have a healthy tea/dinner without a lot of effort also we are seriously budget restricted and I don't have a lot of money for the more expensive lean meats and fish.
Bri

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:55 pm

I think the option of freezing things helps. Cooking up a bunch of stuff and freezing it for nights when it is too hot or you are tired. Or even just doing double the amount of another meal you are cooking.

For the nights when you do feel like cooking, there are ways to hide veggies in food. like finely grating carrot to go in a pasta sauce. Also you can play with recipes like nachos for instance, or burgers. You can make a lower fat burger with salads on it yourself that both doesnt take a lot of time and is good on hot nights. You can even get your DH to BBQ it while you do the prep. and if you get your kids involved in the actual preperation then they may be more likely to eat things as well. Such as pizza on pita bread, wtih more things on them such as veggies. There are some good kids cook books out there that have healthy meals that are appetising as well!
Gal Friday

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:05 pm

There are a lot of veggie and salad packs in the supermarkets these days so you may find one your family likes. They save heaps of time in the kitchen. Often I can't be bothered washing lettuce leaves and chopping veggies for a salad, so I'll just buy a pack of pre-washed salad. They also have packs of fresh chopped veggies for stir-fries. And they stock a huge variety of frozen veggie packs which are really easy to pop into a stir fry or chuck into a pasta dish. It's just a matter of finding a combination that everyone in your family likes.

Could you get your kids or husband to chop the veggies if that is the main barrier to your cooking healthier meals?

Another option to ease your way into healthier eating might be to simply make slightly healthier choices. Rather than a take-away what about Lean Cuisine frozen dinners for those hot evenings? They'd be more expensive than preparing the meal yourself from scratch, but I'd imagine they'd be cheaper than take-away, and you just have to pop them in the microwave.

Do you like soup in your house? Even by making a bit pot of veggie soup on the weekend, freezing it in portions and then using it as a starter before the main meal could be a good way of including more vegetables in everyone's diet. If you blend it to a smooth consistency chances are they won't know what veggies are in it. It also doubles as a great pasta sauce if you make it a bit thicker!

Or perhaps you should start by including more fruit in your family's diet. I agree it's a pain cutting up fruit and veg, but if you cut a heap of fruit up and make a fruit salad it becomes a lot more tempting to eat than whole fruit sitting in a bowl.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby bferbear » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:52 pm

Do you have a friend or relative that your kids really admire or emulate? I know with my nephews that my sister and her husband can ask, beg even scream for them to something or eat something and they won't. I just have to mention it to them and it is done. At xmas they didn't want to eat the salad because it had mushrooms in it. I told them mushrooms were my favourite thing and they couldn't eat enough of it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Bri » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will actually look into the lean cuisine meals even if I just pick up a couple of small one's and set them aside for me when they all have something really fatty like fish and chips.

I do try to serve veggies at most meals except when we have spaghetti but normally it's just frozen veg unless I've been home all day in which case I will cut up some carrots and broccoli etc

I'm just not the greatest of cooks and some of the recipes I just find so complicated and time consuming that I end up sticking with spaghetti, stirfry's using frozen vegies, and things like chicken schnitzels or sausages (which I won't eat).
Bri

Postby hushpuppy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:35 pm

Hey Bri . I too am BAD cook lol . I found that i bought the four Ingredients Cook book Its about 12/14$ to buy and the meals are easy using only 4 ingredienst and most are low fat (except the Yummy deserts . They also have a kids meals section
. I freeze my stirfry's so they are on hand and the LC pizzas are ace when the family is having take aways
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Bri » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:41 pm

Hushpuppy that sounds great, i'll pm you to find otu where you got it from. 8)
Bri

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:31 pm

I havent heard of that one but it does sound great, only using 4 ingredients must save time.

I have experimented over years and put togethr my own recipe book that suits my family. I have listed items each person doesnt like; when I actually started to listen to them it made life easier! :oops: It doesnt mean I dont use an ingredient, but I serve little or none in their portion. Or I have these meals when they are not around.
In hot weather we dont use the oven to keep the house temperature cooler. We also tend to cook quick meals, eg. the old Egg Combo, fish, or fritters from left over meat.
In extreme weather we don't cook. We often have sliced meat/ tin fish and salad, but a salad doesn't mean traditional, try things your family likes, eg. celery sticks, nectarines, grapes and nuts - takes no time to make. Be creative. I keep a range of dressings in the fridge so salads are not so boring too. The key is to note what people do like and add to this list as you go along. Sometimes when I see an extreme weather is coming up, I will make something a day or two in advance. BTW I don't think there is anything wrong with having takeaway when it is a stinking hot day and everyone has had it ! As long as you allow for it, don't do it all the time and try to keep portions smaller.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Return to Diet Talk