It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:51 am

Free Newsletter

Dining with control

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Dining with control

Postby Dolly » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:04 pm

Today my sisters met with me and we went to Subways for lunch. Both of of them bought a one foot sub (even my skinny sister) they had lots of meat & cheese stuff in it.
I just had a 6 inch sub with only salad and roast chicken no dressings or mayo.

I also learnt to eat more slowly, savouring each bite so we all finished eating at the same time.
It was good catching up with my sisters on their days off work, but even better that I learnt control.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Serena » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:19 pm

Well done Dolly! I also had a bit of a lesson in self control today. Since there's only two of us, when we have taco's or something like that we'll generally polish off all the taco shells so they don't get wasted and then you feel totally stuffed after and can't move for the rest of the day. Well, today we had tacos and decided from the start we'd only eat half of them so straight away we took half of the shells and put them in a container in the cupboard. And to be extra good I chopped up capsicum and put it in with the tomatoes and put kidney beans in with the mince so we get lots of extra vegies. We had our three tacos each and felt really satisfied and just couldn't imagine having eaten more. I think you really do enjoy your food if you just take your time and aren't trying to cram in as much as you possibly can.
Serena

Postby Serena » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:03 pm

That self-control I thought I'd found? Gone! I picked up my sister from work and drove her home, she had some errands to run first and no car. So we get to her house and she offers me a coffee and then slaps a plate of biscuits covered in cream cheese down in front of me. We don't buy cream cheese in our house because it's awfully expensive for something that's only going to last five minutes. So I ate the biscuits and some of the lollies sitting on the bench! What is wrong with me? Half the time I don't even want the things I eat, it's just habit to eat what's there. I seem to be fairly safe in my own house with special securities in place such as not buying anything that'll get me into trouble but I can't lock myself up all the time! What to do?
Serena

Postby Dolly » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:15 pm

You're not alone, after feeling proud of myself for doing so well for most of the day I thought I'd make myself a cuppa. What do I find in the pantry whilst getting the coffee but some chocolate mud cake and some chocolate liquers.
Grrrr......why do the ones we love always set us up like that? they know how long we've been battling weight for.
They can have that stuff but not in our presence.

While my whole family went to a wedding in Darwin for 2 weeks I was left here alone to look after everyones pets.
It was great! I didn't even feel hungry once I got rid of the delectables from the house (I binned them not ate them)

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Maraver » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:24 pm

I think the word here is habit, we just need to change our habits I was proud of myslef today there was kingston cream biscuits in the staff room and I was offered one and I said no thanks I am trying to be good, I knew just one would not be enough
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby Serena » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:40 pm

Well, they say the best way to get rid of a bad habit is to replace it with a better one. Maybe I need some good habits to focus on. I used to find it very handy to carry a small container with dried fruit and nuts around in my handbag so whenever I felt peckish I didn't head for the nearest chocolate vending machine. It's so hard with family though. My family aren't particularly supportive. Any time I mention I happen to be on a diet they all burst into laughter. And sometimes I'm sure they go out of their way to tempt me. And it's not like any of them are visions of health and beauty either. I was almost going to say that I should succeed just to spite them and to prove them wrong. But that implies that they were my motivation and I'm not doing it for them, I'm doing it for myself because I want to be happier and healthier and fitter and enjoy life without the fatness hanging over my head.
Serena

Postby Maraver » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:45 pm

I think mine laugh at me because I have tried so many times and they love me as I am but I don't love me as I am
:cry:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby Dolly » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:52 pm

I think mine laugh at me because I'm so weak willed.
Nuts and dried fruit taste great but they always stack the calories on me.

Perhaps I should adopt the method of eating an Australian chef once used to lose heaps of weight.
He ate anything he wanted whenever he wanted but always with a tissue in his hand. The ol' eat without swallowing method of dieting.

Hmm. I think I'll go shopping for a box of tissues tomorrow.

Dolly
Dolly

Return to Diet Talk