It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:08 am

Free Newsletter

Nutritional Panels & Healthy Food

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Nutritional Panels & Healthy Food

Postby Angel » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi guys,

I found this in the Sunday Herald Sun, it says that for a main meal to be considered healthy it must have:
    LESS than a total of 2 teaspoons (10gm) of Fat;
    NO more than 3 gms of Saturated Fat;
    THE Heart Foundation's recommendation of under 400mg of sodium per 100gm; and
    LESS than 10gm of sugars per 100gm.

These were the 'specifications' to work out what was a healthy main meal. Do you reckon it applies for all foods or just main meals?

Sometimes I'll pick up a product thinking its better than another eg. less saturated fat but find that the sugar content or salt content is higher.

Anyone know the guidelines?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby jaydees » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:16 am

u have to be careful when is says low fat cause alot of the times there is heaps of sugar in it.i would say every meal should be watched cause what is the use in lowering fats and sugars for just one meal.thats what i think anyway.that is interesting to know atleast we can work it out ourself with our own cooking.sorry i cant be of any help with the guidelines.
jaydees

Postby Groovychic » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:39 am

The less processed the food the better. So the more home cooked meals you make the better. You control how much fat/sugar/salt you add whilst cooking. Labels can be very deceiving! I feel the most important thing to check is the cal/kj! Otherwise like Jaydees said it can be lower in fat but higher in sugar. Fibre is another important thing to look for. The higher the fibre the better. But if you do as much of your own cooking as possible, then that is better.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:34 pm

I live by the rule that most of my food should be either wholly something that I can tell how it was grown (eg vegetables, fruit, beans etc), or something that I know what is in it, can pronounce the ingredients and are as close to what was grown as possible (eg a wholemeal grain bread that isn't full of nasties). The fewer the steps between growing thing and food the better
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Angel » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:25 pm

Groovychic,
How much fibre should something have in it to class it as high in fibre?

Currently I follow the same rules as Tegan, the closer it is to its natural form the better but I would like to increase my options but make sure I choose healthy stuff. Its nice to have easy options every now and again. I eat a lot of home cooked freezer meals full of goodness but sometimes its nice to have something different.

It's funny, you go to Coles in their 'health food' section and everyone knows just cause its in the health food section doesn't mean its healthy. Some of those 'health' bars are worse than a Mars Bar! But how do you tell when something is healthy.

You see I found the same thing Jaydees talks about, something appears to be low in fat but then they've added heaps of sugar or salt to compensate and of course, to make it taste okay.

Having guidelines to follow would make supermarket trips so much easier. . . . .
[/url]
Angel

Postby Groovychic » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:15 pm

A lot of products have how much fibre per 100g so you can work out how much percentage that is. It is recommended that we consume between 25 - 35 grams of fibre each day. Most people probably don't even eat half of what is recommended. I know I most likely dont. Great sources of fibre are all wholemeal or multigrain products, raw fresh vegetables, fruit(but don't eat more than 2 pieces a day as it has a lot of sugar) prunes,dates and dried figs, nuts and seeds, and beans. Again you are looking at the more natural products. The metamucil that I take each day is actually only 2.4g of fibre!!! If you have 2 slices of multigrain bread you are probably eating around 4 -5 grams of fibre. To be honest, even if say you ate 2 pieces of multigrain toast for breaky, another 2 for lunch, then say wholemeal pasta and vegies for dinner, plus a couple pieces of fruit and a small amount of nuts as snacks, I don't know that you would make it over 20grams for the day! I do know you would be extremely full tho as the higher the fibre, the more full you feel. Maybe we all need to take the all bran challenge!!!! Derryn would love that :lol: . All bran has 12.4 g of fibre for a 3/4 of a cup. Baked beans has 13.2g for a cup. So thats it we all have to have 3/4 cup of all-bran for breaky and a cup of b beans on multigrain toast for lunch......that'll give us around 28 grams or so for the day! You also must take it easy when adding extra fibre to your diet. Otherwise you might spend a lot of time on the toilet!!!! Actually changing to all-bran for breakfast probably isn't a bad idea. But I do think I will have to have some yogurt on it. And I dont know that I could eat more than half a cup cos it tastes like crap!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Angel » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:56 pm

Yuck All Bran is disgusting.

I looked at my fibre intake a while ago and boy is it hard to get the required 25-35gms a day, I added up what I had been eating each day for a week and I was lucky to make it to 25 gms a day which was disappointing because I ate mainly natural foods, lots of them Low GI foods but was still struggle to meet the quota.

I'm still working at it, much harder than it should be!
[/url]
Angel

Postby Groovychic » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:36 am

An interesting thing that I discovered yesterday. We did a trip to Perth and back yesterday and I drank soooooooo much water that on the way home I wanted to have something different to drink. I didnt really want any fizzy drink so decided on this juice. I can't really remember what it was called, fruitoppia I think, but it was really thick. It was apple, strawberry and kiwi fruit. It was nice but when I checked the label and checked my partner's coke, it actually had more sugar in it than coke!!!! Go figure. You would think a juice that has no added this and no added that would be better for you. I guess in a sense it was better for me as it had 200% of the RDI of vitamin C and it had nearly 4g of fibre. But it does pay to check the labels I guess prior to purchasing. Mind you I probably would have still bought it anyway as I didn't want a fizzy drink, had well and truly had enough water, and certainly didn't want a milky drink when it was high 30's in temp!!!!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Dolly » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:11 am

Hi groovychick. I also discovered that a glass of apple juice has more natural fruit sugars in it than the sugar in a glass of coke.
I guess it means we should only drink water.
Instead of us drinking 10 apples in a juice drink we should eat our one or two pieces of fruit per day and only drink water.
Scarey isn't it.
Dolly

Postby Groovychic » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:01 pm

Yes Dolly water is certainly the best but sometimes you just have had way too much..like yesterday! I dont tend to drink much juice. Very rarely will I buy a bottle like yesterday. The kids have it, 1 glass a day is all they are allowed. I prefer them to drink milk or water of course. But I guess you just have to weigh up the pros and cons of everything we put in our mouths. Sometimes that's not fun tho!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Angel » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:36 pm

Gee, you really have to watch out don't you.

I know it's a bit of a waste but if you are buying a bottle of fruit juice, you could always tip out half the juice and fill with water. It'll give you a change from plain water but decrease the kilojoule and sugar content for you.

When I drink juice at home I put 1/3 juice and 2/3 water (naturopath told me to drink juice this way).
[/url]
Angel

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:08 pm

my mum makes her own juice - she makes it in the morning in the juicer (usually a mix of vege and fruit like carrot, beetroot, celery, apple - whatever) and takes that with her. That way you can adjust what is in it and the fibre would be much higher.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:14 pm

My mum makes her own juice as well. I don't want to do it cos they are so messy to clean. We toyed with the idea of getting a juicer as my partner should be drinking carrot juice for his back.....probably would turn him orange anyway!!! But he gets up at 5.30 and the noise from the juicer would most likely wake the kids up. And it's not something that you can make the night before. When the kids were little I always mixed their juice half and half with water. Made it go further and they were getting extra water. If I have a juice at home, which isn't very often, I always mix it with water as well. I find it too strong. My parents always mixed it with water for us as well. My dad still has a mix with water when he comes over to visit!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Return to Diet Talk