It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:44 am

Free Newsletter

Went to the movies - danger zone

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Went to the movies - danger zone

Postby Fireball » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:59 pm

Hey. My husband, adult son and I went to see I Legend tonight - we enjoyed it.
But the movies is a particular horror for me - I always binge. I usually tell myself that I don't go often blah blah blah. Sound familiar? But I have decided I mean it I am going to lose this weight.
My husband had - large coke, twisties and choctop. Ooooh I love the choc top & the twisties. Can't drink coke at night anyway because the caffeine keeps me up all night.
My son had - 2 choc tops and maltesers. Ooooh I love Maltesers too.
I had - 1 Slurpy/slushy That's it.
I am proud of myself. Yes. I am going to lose this weight.
This has reinforced to me that if you plan it you can succeed. The slushy kept me busy for ages & filled me up - I didn't even miss the other stuff.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Juddy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:08 pm

Movies are not easy going for people wanting to lose weight. This is primarily because you're sitting still and watching for 1.5-2 hours.

Plus, people are having popcorn, lollies, icecream, sugary softdrink.

The candy bars (hah) have bad food - stuff aimed at entertaining you (sweets) dehydrating you (popcorn) so you are thirsty (coke).

I went to the movies the other day and had some popcorn and a diet coke - this was a big treat for me and very rare.

Tonight I went with a bag of nut/fruit mix, a low-GI protein popper and a pepsi max.

I was fine, no need for more!

Good luck with losing the weight - movies are fun, just gradually work out a eating/drinking plan that works for you.
Juddy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:23 pm

You can get used to not snacking through movies. When I was younger I used to stock up at the supermarket beforehand. Bags upon bags of lollies, chips, chocolate bars - you name it! I did my usual prep work before meeting a friend to go see a film. She looked at the bag then looked at me in horror and said "Why do you need to constantly eat while watching a movie?". She never ate anything. She sometimes bought a drink, but not often.

I thought I'd give it a go and surprisingly you get used to it really quickly. You can concentrate more on the movie and less on putting things in your mouth. The only problem is you start to notice how annoying the rustling of other people's wrappers and popcorn containers are!

It would be difficult trying this for the first time if the rest of your group are all eating lots of junk food, though. You'd probably have to start going to the movies on your own!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Fireball » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:38 am

lol :lol:

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Gal Friday » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Exellent work! You got through it!

We went to the movies last night and thought about our options, and factored popcorn into our WW points. We shared one small one, with a bottle of water. And was fine!
Gal Friday

Postby Fireball » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:51 am

So 2 of us from the forum went to the movies and handled it - excellent.

When I read the message about having no snacks, the whole idea seemed foreign to me. When we had our kids at home, going to the movies was rare so we spoilt ourself by having some treats. It has gone to the extreme now - we don't even share. A packet of Twisties that size would have been shared with a whole family when I was growing up...

Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby milkyway » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:56 am

I'm such a tightarse I refuse to buy snacks at the movies so it's not a problem for me - I just can't justify $4 chock tops, $6popcorn and $8000 for a coke :P

If anything, I slip a museli bar and a pepsi max into my bag... but usually just have water.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Gal Friday » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:32 am

We also used to treat ourselves when we went to the movies. And the money is not awlays the thing, as we would take snacks in from elsewhere (where it was cheaper).

I think next time I will take a chuppa chup. Only one point for me on WW, and they tend to take me forever to eat (lick!). By the end of it I dont want it anymore! lol.
Gal Friday

Postby rivenriver » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Thats so good that you managed that!!!!!!
rivenriver

Return to Diet Talk