It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:30 am

Free Newsletter

ideas for lunches at work!

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

ideas for lunches at work!

Postby rudie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:45 am

Hi guys im new! :D

Im sure this topic has probably been covered at some point, im just wondering if anyone has ideas for what I can eat as a healthy lunch at work?

I dont really have time to pre cook lunch at home to bring in, instead I tend to visit the supermarket down the road from work every lunchtime and just get what I need for that day. Problem is, im not sure what to get and usually end up at the bakery :oops:

anybody got ideas for easy healthy supermarket lunches?

Postby loveat116 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:59 am

How come you don't have time? You can always get up 10 minutes earlier and make something?

I usually make my lunch every day, if not I buy sushi.

This morning I made a salad wrap.
1 Rye Wrap (Around 300kj)
Handful of lettuce
Some capsicum
Small amount of cheese
50g of chicken pieces

Thats a pretty small lunch though, depending on how many calories you have per day you could have two.

If you have a toastie maker at work you could make toasties?
I usually put 1 slice low fat cheese (180kj, the plastic kind) with a tin of flavoured tuna on 2 pieces of wholemeal bread.
The whole thing is only about 1200-1300kj.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!

Postby SarahC » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:31 am

What about.....
- Pre-made salads (in the fruit and veg section)
- Low fat / diet yoghurts
- Fruit
- Frozen meals like lean cuisine or weight watchers, if you have a microwave at work
- Tuna to Go (tuna dip with crackers)
- St Dalfour salads (there's a huge variety of these, but every supermarket is different in terms of which ones they have and where they are located, tis very annoying.... but delicious and convenient!)
- Dried fruit and nuts, especially the single serve packs, yum!
- Protein bars and RTD shakes, just watch the sugar content.

That's all I can think of at the moment... :)

Postby electrongirl » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:49 pm

I premake a huge salad that lasts me till Thursday and Friday is my buy lunch day.

I just chop everything up and make sure the lettuce, spinach etc is drained really well and put it all in an airtight container. Then in the morning I fill up my container and add some chopped up fetta, boiled egg, kalamata olives. I have a bottle of balsamic vinegar at work and I also have a tin of tuna to add to it. Its yummmmmmm
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby Gal Friday » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:24 pm

Do you have a fridge at work? And a drawer? I go and buy a bunch of stuff on the monday at lunch time (at least when I havent brought anything from home) and eat it during hte week. Bread of some sort, tuna, corn, salad ingrediants. Works really well and I am not tempted by going to the shops every day!
Gal Friday

Postby Sas » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:35 pm

What I do is make extra food the night before.

I will either have left over stirfry's or when I make salad for dinner I make a salad for lunch the next day. If you make sure that you put the lettuce on the top it doesn't get all soggy and is a nice meal during summer :)

I never make food in the morning. I love my sleep too much so I find this is a good way to make sure that you eat good food at lunch instead of going to the shops... too many temptations there for me!

Some things that you can get from shops are:
- soups
- tuna and have some toasted bread with it
- youghurt
- pre made salad
- you can buy a loaf of bread some ham or chicken, tomato and cheese and make sandwhiches

Postby bferbear » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:17 pm

I had a treat for lunch today. We have a george foreman grill in the lunchroom, and one of the guys brought in some wagyu beef to cook on it, along with a side salad for him, me and one of the other staff as a thankyou for some help we had given him.

Postby Jane85 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:23 am

If I have to call in at the shops on the way thru to work, usually get a fresh roll and some ham from the deli and a couple of pieces of fruit, or mabye on of those premade salads. In winter I get a tin of soup and heat that up.

We have one of those toaster thingos at work, so if Im going to the gym in the evening, I buy a little bit of cheese for my roll and toast it yumm:P

Postby Pandora » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:55 am

i second the wrap/salad/tuna suggestions for an easy work lunch. i'm addicted to toasted sandwiches and keep a bunch of sliced salad veg in the fridge along with some beetroot, cold sliced potato, etc. takes all of 5 mins to toast up some bread, spread with a healthy dip and pile it all on, keeps nicely 'til lunchtime. that with a handful of nuts and piece of fruit, or some airpopped popcorn which you could get prebagged would be a goodie?

a premade salad with a light dressing and a can of beans is also quick and easy.

racking my brain for supermarket meals though! maybe you buy get a lil sandwich made up on your break, specify it to your orders?

Re: ideas for lunches at work!

Postby chocoholic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:44 pm

Cut up fruits in a tub: Image
Yummy and handy.

In winter, make up a BIG pot of veggie soup (I can get some recipes if you'd like?), put it into containers and freeze. In the mornings take one to work at reheat it there. Easy and very healthy.
SW: 91 kg
CW: 94.7 kg
GW: 70 kg

1. 91kg (my original SW)
2. 85.5kg (BMI in 'overweight' category)
3. 80kg
4. 75kg
5. 70kg (BMI in 'Normal' weight range)

Return to Diet Talk