It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:35 am

Free Newsletter

Takeaway - Healthy Options?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Takeaway - Healthy Options?

Postby Angel » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:05 pm

I love the idea of having a night off cooking and ordering some takeaway but Subways is as far as I've got!

I'm looking for some weight loss friendly takeaway idea - what do you choose and why?

Thanks Angel :D

Postby Groovychic » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:46 pm

Don't go the salads at maccas!!! They are foul! I tried one last year and I couldn't eat it. I think KFC is definitely out and hungry jacks and maccas. I don't know but maybe a deli. They normally have very nice salads etc. I've been known to buy a salad from a deli and then a small serve of the fresh yogurt with berries as a dessert. But why waste money on buying a salad I suppose. It only takes a few minutes to make one up yourself. I have a soup bowl at home which I throw chopped lettuce, a tomato(or cherrie tomatoes if you have them), a heap of diced cucumber, some red capsicum, a little bit of chopped cheese, grated carrot or chopped carrot, depending if there is grated in the fridge or not, and some croutons and hey presto there's your salad. I have to admit I do add a tablespoon of dressing to it. I just love having a salad like that for lunch. I'll be making a salad up to take to work each day when I start Monday week. I'm hoping they have a fridge there......which I am sure they will, and I can keep a bottle of dressing in the fridge and the croutons in the cupboard for adding when I eat lunch. I've got 45 mins for lunch so I think I will go for a short walk each day as well. Just a bit of a stroll tho as I don't want to get all sweaty when I have to go back to work! So I guess subway is probably your healthiest choice. Kebabs are always good as well. Probably not as good as subway but they have the salad etc in them. And you could leave out the sauce and salt. I normally just have chicken, a small amount of bbq sauce, and salad. I don't add cheese to mine. Sushi is good for you as well, if you want to go that way. Hope this has helped!!!

Keep Smiling!!!

Postby frumpy07 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:57 pm

My opinion is that for all the "fast food" outlets around there is normally something good on the menu that isnt that bad for you. The Deli Choice rolls at Maccas are good for something really easy but there is also Thai food (like the clear soups and vegie dishes- just dont order the fried rice) or Mexican food (you can buy the kits, like the Stand n Stuff at Coles and Woolies.... you would just have to check the content in the corn chips) or even just buy a barbeque chook (Red Rooster roast theirs) and take the skin off, make salad and enjoy!

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Postby jaydees » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:50 pm

what about kebabs.u can get all the salad on u want and choose tabouli,chicken or beef and get a fat free dressing on sweet chilli sauce or make them at home.or make home made hamburgers with the works and oven baked wedges.(home made with spices on)

Postby Ed » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:45 pm

You could try Asian take away, particularly Malaysian, Japanese or somthing similar.

One of the healthiest take away options now becoming popular is noodle bars.

Healthy noodles or rice cooked in a wok with fresh vegetables and perhaps a little bit of chicken or beef is a very healthy and very low fat option and can be very filling.

Things like Califorian rolls from a Japanese take away are also very healthy.

While subway and similar options can be healthier than a burger and fries, a pie or a slice of pizza, most people make the mistake of overeating or adding lots of calorie laden options to their sandwiches and rolls thinking that it's still healthy and will help them lose weight.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been in a subway and seen people ordering a foot-long sandwich with double-cheese and other fattening options along with a couple of chocolate chip cookies or a bag of potato chips and a large Coke and still thinking that they are eating healthy.

Do these people really think they are eating healthy when they do this and do they think that eating this much at one meal will help them lose weight?

My favourite sandwich at subway is a six-inch vegetable pattie with lettuce, tomato, carrot and just a drizzle of BBQ sauce, no cookies and no soda.

Not only is this a relatively healthy choice, it's also a relatively inexpensive one as well!

Ed. :)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:18 am

the age old story of someone ordering a big mac with extra cheese....and a diet coke :roll:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby carleyjt » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:16 am

Probably about once a week my family chooses a takeaway. So i dont feel as though i am missing out i choose the healthier alternative of what they choose. It is not always healthy but it is better than what i would usually eat. For example i eat the Tandoorie Deli Choice at Mcdonalds (the Thai Chicken and Vegie ones are also low fat, calories) at KFC i have a twister or the chicken salad or just chicken strips, Pizza i make my own with pitta bread and veges, a kebab, subway, hamburger with no butter or cheese etc, if you like hot chips the fatter the chip the less oil it absorbs, grilled or steamed fish instead of batter.

Postby Angel » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks guys, very very helpful.

Now if I could only make a decision on what to try first! :lol:

Postby Puffer » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:00 pm

I know this was an old thread but I thought it was worth mentioning for those who like McDonalds a cheeseburger happy meal with a diet coke is only about 2000kj - a lot for what it actually is but not much higher than anything else you would make for dinner at home (my dinners are usually around 1500kj).

Postby grugwashere » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:45 pm

hello, i hate to burst your bubble carley... i used to work at kfc and the most unhealthly thing u can order is a twister because of the sauce its like injecting fat into your body, but thats not the case with the sweet chilli sauce so stay away from the pepper mayo
its truly evil
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg

Postby Green_Butterfly » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:24 am

I know this is a old thread. But yesterday we were in the city and couldnt find anywhere to eat but McDonalds. I had a lean beef burger (approx 8 grams of fat) and a small garden salad. I feel bad saying this but....The burger was really REALLY nice! My boyfriend got a cheeseburger, and as usual, it looked rank. It really looked like someone had driven over it three times! But the lean beef burger ws fresh, and not all squashed down like most Maccas burgers are. I was impressed because I didnt feel totally guilty for eating McDonalds for the first time in a long time.

Life's a garden, dig it!!!

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:53 am

ive never had any of the healthy things from maccas before. those new meals though look good (like spag bol, and beef rendeng etc)

Postby Jisgone » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:06 am

My favourite healthy takeaway is either the skinfree baguette or chicken blt baguette from red rooster, they are both 97% fat free (something like 6 grams in each) but they are so filling and tasty too! At kfc i get a original fillet burger meal minus the mayo and swap the chips for a potato and gravy. Most fast food joints have some way to make things a bit healthier but still yummy

Postby hushpuppy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:55 pm

oh how i wish we had red rooster it is yummo i havent had it for years
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:07 pm

i like the rooster rolls without mayo. and i like the fillet burgers at kfc without the mayo (hate mayo)

Return to Diet Talk