It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:37 am

Free Newsletter

What would you do?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

What would you do?

Postby Ed » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:28 pm

Tonight my wife brought home some chocolate hedgehogs (brownies) from work.

She bought them from a co-worker whose child was raising funds for a school charity.

There are 8 slices in the pack, which collectively weight 450grams.

In total these things equal nearly 10,000 kilojoules (about 2,500 calories) have a whopping 145grams of total fat and 86grams of saturated fat, and 180grams of sugar.

My wife doesn't eat this sort of crap, but she knows that I can't resist it and will probably end up eating the whole lot by myself (over a week or so).

I'm always buying chocolates from fund raising drives and rationalize the purchase and eating of the stuff I buy by telling myself that it is for a good cause (buying computers for schools or whatever).

Does anybody else have the same problem as this?

If so, what do you do about it?

I'd like to throw these hedgehogs in the bin rather than eat them, but then I tell myself that it would be a waste of money and "good" food.

I do know one thing for sure, eating them certainly isn't going to help me lose weight!

What would you do?

Ed :oops:

Postby Dolly » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:01 pm

Hi Scott,
If I was feeling strong I would quickly run and throw them on the ground outside so the dogs could eat them (then I'd tell my spouse off) but if I was in one of my weak moods I would eat them the way a thin chef once said he had success with (he was once fat) He said you can eat anything you want so long as you have a tissue in one of your hands to spit it into (the ol' chew and spit method of eating anything you want) :wink:

Postby Jo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:57 am

Hi Ed .... :D

Hey .... is it possible for you to take them to work with you and maybe 'shout' everyone a morning tea or something ??
If you dont work with many people, maybe there is a friendly neighbour around near you that would appreciate a pack ???

Maybe you could put them in the freezer and only get one out at a time as a reward for yourself each week/f'night ??

If not then .... maybe just offer these groups a donation instead. ?? I'm sure they would appreciate that and you wont be beating yourself up over Wasting V's Wanting ??

Postby Groovychic » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:25 pm

Well I'm not going to beat around the bush Scott. The truth is, if it was me I'd eat them!!! And probably over a couple of days, not a week or so!!! I'm so weak! :oops: But I think Jo's idea of taking them to work is a great one. If you don't have kids to palm the crap off to then your work colleagues are the next best bet! They will love you for it!!! Your wife thought she would bring you a treat, but you will probably have to explain to her that if it's in the house you will want to eat it. My partner does the same thing to me but he is learning. Tho he will sit there and eat biscuits etc in front of me and drive me mad!!! And I normally succumb in the end and have 1!!! Hence the extremely slow weight loss! What can I say....I love crap food. That's all there is to it!!! O well, it will eventually sink in that I have to stop it! :lol:

Keep Smiling!!!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:16 am

iI often just give the equivalent money of whatever someone is selling if it is for a good cause and then tell them to keep the choccies. Your donation goes further that way.

Also, if you are a generous soul (which it soulds like you are) perhaps you could take the current offending item to a homeless shelter or give them to a struggling family.

And i also agrree with the suggestion to taking them to work. That's what i intend doing with any stray chocolate I get for easter.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Angel » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:21 pm

I usually buy whatever it is, after all its for a good cause but I never eat it myself, I decide while buying it who I'm going to give it to. I have also been known to buy it and then forget to take it home! :D

Wow, for 10,000KJs you could eat 50 punnets of strawberries or 42 King Prawns, okay not the same as 8 brownies but at least its nutritious. Would I be right in saying its might mean putting on almost 1/2 kilo (14,000 KJs). Is it worth it?

But on the other hand, depriving yourself of the things you enjoy isn't healthy because most people binge if they do so, if you really want to eat it and don't mind putting on weight or staying at the same weight, perhaps you could try halving each slice and spreading it out over 2 weeks. At least this way it shouldn't affect your daily KJ intake too much. This way you are teaching yourself to enjoy treats in moderation.

Postby Kyles » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:13 pm

Hi there,

I wouldnt eat them, as I know that if I have a sudden high in take of fat - I have an appointment with the toilet shortly afterwards and will suffer from severe stomach cramps.

I suggest you put the freezer and hope some children come trick or treating at Halloween!! Or give them as gifts at Easter - wrap them individually in celephane instead of Easter Eggs!!
Kylie : )

Postby kymbahlee » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:36 pm

hi, if it makes you feel better schools (in SA) at least have been told they are not supposed to sell chocolate or unhealthy foods for fundraising in an effort to curb childhood obesity...I know because my school has recently been looking into other fundraing options.

Return to Diet Talk