It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:17 am

Free Newsletter

Maintenance calories

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Maintenance calories

Postby smileyk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi, my name is kylie and i'm new to the forum.

I've reached my goal weight of 55kg...consuming approximately 1200 calories per day as suggested by calorie king. I have been doing the 1,000 steps approx 2x per week as well as weights at gym once or twice. I usually eat whatever i like on the weekend as well as drinking alcohol whilst out clubbing on saturday nights (where i assume i go VERY MUCH over my daily calorie allowance)

I'm 20 years old, spend approx two hours riding horses (galloping racehorses and dressage schooling others, usually around 4 horses per day) every morning.

I'm 166cm.

With this level of activity in mind, should i continue to aim to consume 1200 calories during the week, or should i consume more/less?

Thank you very much for your time :)
smileyk

Re: Maintenance calories

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi Kylie. Welcome to the forum!

If you have an account at Calorie King there is a way of adjusting your profile settings show how many calories you will need to maintain your weight once you get to goal. If you go to 'Account Settings' at the top then 'Personal Profile' you can check the option 'maintain weight' instead of 'lose weight'. That should automatically adjust the number of calories it recommends you consume.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'm still a fair way from my ideal weight so 'maintaining' isn't really my area of expertise!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby loveat116 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:13 pm

1200 calories would be far too low for maintenance.

We have round about the same stats, and calculators tell me I can maintain at around 2100 calories per day. When I reach maintenance (0.5kg to go!) im going to increase it to 1800 calories, and after two weeks if I have lost/gained weight i can adjust accordingly.

Looking at your energy expenditure, you would need to eat minimum 2000 calories to maintain, and your riding horses for 2 hours + per day
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Mummyof3 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm definatley down to help out.
*FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION*

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Mummyof3

Postby smileyk » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Bugger, just deleted my reply! Oh well, start again i shall!

Thanks for your replies...they are all much appreciated :)

I changed my settings on calorie king and it suggested i up my intake to 1650 calories per day. I'll aim for this, but be flexible so that if some days my intake extends to up to 2000 i won't worry.

:)
Thanks again
smileyk

Return to Diet Talk