It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:03 am

Free Newsletter

Atkins Diet

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Atkins Diet

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:26 pm

Has anyone done this and if so was it successful?

I think I could do it but not long term. Having 20grams of carbs a day would kill me, and surely all that meat and hardly any fruit/veg etc can't be good for the body.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Re: Atkins Diet

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:17 pm

alot of health professionals have come out and said that this kind of fad diet isn't good for you.

Your body needs carbs. The best and healthiest way for weightloss is to have a balanced diet low in fat, sugar and salt.

I do believe alot of us are eating too many carbs but I think cutting them out completely is silly. But thats just me!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:00 pm

I agree that most of us are eating too many carbs Nikki, but its SO hard without them, most things have carbs in them and I know if I deprived myself from carbs then i'd binge and gain all the weight back, then some!

CK tells me I can eat 250grams a day, but i'd gain weight from that for sure. So my limit a day is 150 which really is a lot. I've had to cut back fruit intake to 1 piece a day to do this which isn't the best thing because fruit is good for you! I want to aim at eating no more than 120 soon because that is still alot.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:04 pm

I don't know how you can live like that!! But hey each to their own!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby SarahC » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:29 am

I haven't done Atkins... being vegetarian it's difficult, if not impossible, to get down to 20g a day! I can't eat giant amounts of carbs anymore. Been eating low-carb for quite some time now, maybe a year, not sure. Anyway, I can't eat breads, pasta, or anything high in sugar. I try to get in a piece of fruit each day, either before or after my workout, and I don't hold back on the veggies!

I went out to a luncheon on Wednesday afternoon, 2 days ago, and had ravioli and a chocolate dessert (which I tried to eat but couldn't finish!). I'm still paying for it today!! Fluid city here in my body lol... I know because I can't get my pants done up, and I've got my sore skin thing happening particularly over my belly which hurts to touch... :(

I think what I'm trying to say is... there's no coming back from the low carb diet!! It's a lifestyle change for sure :|
SarahC

Postby minasiin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:33 am

Can you say hype? If you’re living in any Western world country then you’ve probably heard of the famous Atkins diet. Whether this is the most successful diet ever or not it’s still up for debate, but it certainly is the more advertised one. The Atkins diet has been for a while the most hyped eating plan around and millions of people have tried it at some point or another. This is no exaggeration. It was estimated that more than 3 million people in the United Kingdom alone have tried the Atkins diet at the peak of the hype in 2003.

The basic idea behind this diet is that cutting down on the carbohydrates, while allowing people to eat high-fat food is going to work. One of the best things in favor of the Atkins diet was the fact that it allowed people to eat eggs and cheese and steaks. It sounds like a dream diet actually. Who’d pass up the chance of losing weight while still enjoying a good eggs and ham breakfast? Well, the downside is that you get no bread or salad with that steak. None whatsoever. Which becomes a real problem after a week or so. How much meat can you eat without touching any vegetables at all?

Anyway, the theory is that cutting out the carbohydrates will force your body to use the stored fat in order to obtain the energy needed through the day. This means that you get to eat no bread and pastries, potatoes, pasta, milk, rice, fruit, vegetables (well, there are a couple you can still eat) and, obviously, no junk food or soft drinks. On the other hand, you are allowed to eat red meat, fish, chicken, cheese, mayonnaise, cream, butter and eggs. This is going to be your only food for the first two weeks, which are called the Induction Phase.

The second phase of the diet is called Ongoing Weight Loss and it lets you increase the intake of carbohydrates by 5 grams per day, starting from the basic 20 grams per day stipulated by the Induction Phase. The user must find how far the amount of carbohydrates can be increased before the body is unable to lose between 1 and 3 pounds per week. This is called the Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing Weight and this is where the amount of carbs stops growing. This phase is supposed to last until you almost reach the desired weight.

With 5 to 10 pounds left to shed it’s time to enter the third stage of the diet. This one is called Pre-Maintenance and it’s supposed to increase the carbs intake by 10 grams a day in order to slow down the weight loss process. Welcome to the world of 30 grams of pasta per day. The final phase is called Lifetime Maintenance and a lifetime of eating around 90 grams of carbs per day for the rest of your life. Moving from 250 grams or more to less than 100 grams and for the rest of your life could be quite a challenge for many people.

The side effects of the Atkins diet depend on the user. Some people did fine on this diet, some got infections of the kidneys from the high-protein content or heart problems from all the fat food they ate. Dizziness and general weakness are also to be expected as the body goes into starvation mode when denied carbohydrates. With high-fiber fruit and vegetables out of the way you can also expect constipation to become a problem. Also, the lack of many dairy products leads to a significant drop in the amount of calcium absorbed by the body and may cause osteoporosis or other bone conditions later on.
<link removed>
http://healtyblog.blogspot.com/

M.Wood , body and fitness expert
minasiin

Postby Mandie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:21 am

I'm not sure why this was posted.. are you FOR or AGAINST the Atkins Diet? Or are you just trying to promote your blog, as you have in other posts, in addition to other websites and products.. hmm.

BTW, from a medical point of view, Atkins is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE diet - eating that much meat and fat is NOT good for you, and puts you at high risk for heart attacks and strokes, EVEN if you lose weight!
Mandie

Postby loveat116 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Atkins puts you into ketosis, you can test this by using ketostix in your pee.

Basically your body stops burning carbs for energy and starts burning fat. If you keep your fat to a minimum you will burn off your fat stores.

It does work, works well. Actually has scientific theory behind it unlike other diets.

Its also a great diet to break a sugar addiction. I would definatly do it! I've tried before and broke down on the second day and ate a whole packet of starburst lollies... i think i would need to prepare better!

PLUS protein is highly thermogenic, so you burn 40% of the total calories just by digesting it (carbs and fat are around 10-15%)

The Atkins Nutritional Approach is a lifelong commitment, but I would only ever do induction. Youhave to be EXTREMELY careful when reintroducing carbs so you dont stack on the weight though.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Return to Diet Talk