It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Free Newsletter

Thai

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Thai

Postby emmaline » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Hello all!
Just wanted some advice...
I'm going out for dinner (two nights in a row, so bad!) tonight and we're having Thai (my favourite).
I searched the forum for some ideas on what is healthy to eat at a Thai restaurant but couldn't find much.
I'm going to guess sticking to veggies is best and steer clear of curries with cream bases.
Should I also take it easy on the rice?
I usually have chicken and cashew nuts, but don't eat too many of the cashews - I swear!
Also, would I be better to have more of say the veggies in the dish than rice?
Cheers :)
emmaline

Re: Thai

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:50 pm

Avoid anything with coconut cream or milk in it. It's absolutely chock full of calories and fat! That means most curries would not be a good choice. Also avoid fried rice or coconut rice. And don't have satay sauce on anything - the peanuts mean it's high in fat and calories.

If they have steamed vegetables available that would be the best choice with braised veggies being nearly as good. Thai beef salad is also relatively low in calories according to most sites I've seen. Clear soups are pretty good. Rice is okay provided it's not friend or cooked in coconut milk.

I hope you have a great time! Don't stress too much about it. If you don't eat out all the time then a treat isn't too bad once in a while. If you're worried about the calorie content then just don't eat everything on your plate. Serving sizes tend to be way too big anyway at most restaurants anyway. Leaving half of your meal may seem wasteful, but would you rather it going in the bin or going on your hips? Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:55 pm

Sorry, that first sentence should read "Avoid anything with coconut cream or coconut milk in it". I omitted the second 'coconut' thinking it was self-explanatory, but on re-reading I realised that people might think I meant cow's milk!

Hope you have a great time Emmaline!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby emmaline » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Good idea!
I might just go for some delicious veggies I think!!
I love eating out but I hate the idea of it ruining my hard work
And completely agree!
The food will be wasted if I eat it, because its a waste of my calories
So I may as well just leave it behind on the plate
And it's the best feeling knowing you can just leave the plate with some food on it and not gobble it all up.
Thanks for the great advice as always EWQ!
Hope you have a great weekend ahead :)
emmaline

Postby sassi » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:59 pm

i agree with EWQ - what about some tom yum soup to start (mmmm spicy!) and then a beef salad?

either way, enjoy your night out :D
sassi

Return to Diet Talk