It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:41 pm

Free Newsletter

Pub Grub

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Pub Grub

Postby emmaline » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:44 pm

Hi All,

Sorry to start a new post and I know I'm constantly asking advice... but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good/healthy pub food to get for dinner.
I'm out with my parents tonight at trivia and not too sure what would be a good idea.
I'm guessing replacing chips with salad is a start... :roll:
And if we're talking in WW points, I'll have about 7 or 8 to spare!

Thanks in advance lovelies :)
emmaline

Re: Pub Grub

Postby Jodie91 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:58 pm

Asking is the only way to find things out - or atleast thats what my teachers used to tell me :lol:
Personally I'd look for grilled fish and salad or grilled chicked or even a small steak with no sauce or the sauce on the side so that you can control the quantity.Same for salad dressings. Mind you veges are always a good option too as long as they dont have butter on them and you dont have baked potatoe.

Make sure you ask for what you want be, specific with exactly what you want. Even if you dont see it on the menu most good places should be able to grill something up for you.
Cheers
Jodie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby ali76 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:01 pm

Ooohhh....pub grub - my favourite!!

Most pubs normally have a chicken salad so I get that with the dressing on the side.

Or, if I want to be a little bit naughty I have a plain schnitzel with fresh lemon juice and vegetables or salad instead of chips. You could do the same with a grilled, baked chicken breast, fish or steak...?
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby ali76 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Wow Jodie - great minds hey?! :mrgreen:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby Jodie91 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:03 pm

:mrgreen: hehe must be smart adelaide people :mrgreen:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby bferbear » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:16 pm

It all depends on the Pub.

I had dinner at an Irish pub called Dublin Docks on Saturday night and ate "Pistachio and Rocket Crusted Salmon on a bed of Baby Spinach and marinated Capsicum" It was sensational, but not necessarily available at every pub.

Personally I would be going for the fish of the day with salad, dressing on the side. I would then probably steal chips off everyone elses plates but thats another story.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Kimmie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:22 pm

One of my favourite pubs for food does wonderful $7 steak, and you can choose two of four options for sides. So I can have salad *and* veggies.

Usually I do the salad or grilled fish, too, but sometimes I get a nasty surprise and the salad is drenched in oil, or the fish in butter. Yick. So yes, the moral of the story is ask questions, and be specific.
Kimmie

Postby emmaline » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks guys!
Great advice as ALWAYS!
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get back on and check it before I went :oops:

I saw they had a grilled fish but it was in a butter sauce... I should probably have just asked them to get rid of the sauce..
But instead I went for a napolitana pasta... I hope that wasn't too bad!
And I filled up on salad for the rest
It was someone's birthday so they handed around mudcake... it sat there all night staring at me - so rude! hehehe
But i resisted and went home to a sexy peach instead
emmaline

Postby ali76 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:09 am

Hey - well done you!! Not sure I could've resisted mud cake....that and cheesecake....yyuuummmm....

Anyhoo!!!

I think the pasta was a good choice - I don't eat carbs for dinner but it would've been nice and low in fat! Much better than a butter sauce - as nice as that sounds!

I want pub grub now....!! Haha! :P
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby emmaline » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 am

I wonder if I should try no carbs for dinner...
I always seem to have pasta the night before my weigh-in too!
Hahaha not a good idea... I'm a bit of a carb fiend!
So I think maybe limiting my carbs at dinner might help a bit.
What are some typical dinners that you would have during the week Ali?
emmaline

Postby ali76 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:33 am

It's so hard cos I LOVE my carbs!!! I just try to eat them for breakfast or lunch...

For dinner during the week I normally have either a salad (when it's hot I don't eat much and a salad is enough) or I have a piece of meat (chicken or steak usually as I don't like seafood) with a BIG serve of mixed veggies or a salad.

I find it's the easiest thing to make when I get home from the gym....I chuck the meat on my george foreman and by the time I've made the salad or cooked the veggies the meat is cooked!

I try to save things like pasta, etc for lunch on the weekend - God I wish I had a microwave at work!!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby emmaline » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 am

I think that sounds like a great idea!
I will give that a go I think... I'm eating separately to the rest of my family so it wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for your advice!
I wondering if my dinner carbs are playing a bit of a factor in my weight not moving too far... because I do tend to overdo the potato/rice/pasta/bread factor at dinner. I mean I fit it into my cals, but I think I could better spend them :)

And who knows... your new job may well have a spiffy microwave for yummy warm lunches!!
emmaline

Postby Tummygirl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 am

OH what a topic I LOVE PUB MEALS

i dont know what it is about pub meals but they are the best. i figure i would rather go the pub and have a nice meal like Lamb shanks with Mashed potato and veg than go to Mcdonalds. And sometimes the mcdonalds would cost you more. We have a little pub down the road from us and i just love it. Being on a diet can be tough with the pub but hey you can always say leave the chips in the kitchen and give me more salad i do and dont regret not being able to have chips when the salad makes me feel better.

So for me i say yeah go the pub meal. :D Might have been of the track a little but i wanted to tell you all.
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Return to Diet Talk