It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Free Newsletter

Gluten Intolerance

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Gluten Intolerance

Postby milkyway » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:54 pm

Hey - does anyone else on the board have an intolerance to gluten?

I've been reading a bit about it online as I think I'm developing it - have had stomach aches, diarrhea, nausea and occasional vomiting over the past 2 weeks and have started to narrow down that it happens everytime I eat a wheat based product.

What I haven't been able to find is how it happens - like why all of a sudden? I've not had a problem in the past? How/when did you find out you were gluten intolerant? What foods do you regularly eat?

PS I will go back to my doc later this week to explore this further. I don't intend to self-diagnose but am just interested in learning more about this.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Re: Gluten Intolerance

Postby bferbear » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:22 pm

Buy the most recent edition of "Healthy Food" magazine at Woolies. It has a really good article about gluten intolerance. It includes a list of foods to watch out for and some substitutes for them, as well as interviews with people who have developed the problem later in life and how they adapted to it.

Postby Jodie91 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:33 pm

These are also the symtoms of irritable bowel syndrome so could be that too, not a Doctor or anything but know people with both and they actually have to stay away from similar types of foods. Would suggest talking to the Doc when you visit him/her thou.
Good luck with it
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10

Postby loveat116 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:38 am

You could have a wheat allergy as opposed to a gluten intolerance?

To find out if you have an intolerance what you need to do is go see your doctor and have a talk about it, then they will get you to cut out ALL gluten for about 2 weeks and see if you feel better.

If you feel like you are having an actual REACTION, like throat swelling or limbs swelling or general sickness in the stomach it could be an allergy. I am allergic to wheat and i have some stuff i take which reduces the effects, but generally i should stay away from it.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!

Return to Diet Talk