It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:34 am

Free Newsletter

Low carb rice?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Low carb rice?

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:47 am

Does such a thing exist?!?

I would LOVE to know if it does :D
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!

Re: Low carb rice?

Postby Mandie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:51 pm

If you want rice, basmati rice is the best as it is low GI, so it's "good carbs".

If you want "faux-rice", I've just found a recipe on the net at : It appears to be cooked cauliflower that is processed until it looks like rice.. you could try it if you like cauliflower but I'm not sure I'll be doing that anytime soon!

Postby Diminishing » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:54 pm

From memory, SUNRICE Doongara CleverRice is the lowest GI and the lowest carb....even lower than basmati and brown rice. But it is still high on the carbs....about 70g+ of carbs per 100g rice, I think?

Fiona, I am on Kate Morgan which means I can't have carbs at night for an evening I desperately needed a "rice replacement" as we eat a lot of curries etc.......and my SIL is an Atkins expert and got on me onto "cauliflower rice" as a replacement.......& it does the job.

Just chop or process raw cauliflower then steam for about 3 mins (depending on your microwave). Don't overcook, obviously, otherwise it is just cauli mush. But when the cauli has a little "bite" left in it, it is a good rice replacement........

Lucy xx

Postby SarahC » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:13 pm

Cauliflower is great. I also use cabbage as well, which is quite delicious. Cut up finely for "rice" or finely sliced for "spaghetti" :D

Return to Diet Talk