It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:18 am

Free Newsletter

I just had the yummiest sandwich!

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

I just had the yummiest sandwich!

Postby sunshine » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:44 pm

For lunch today I made a chicken, mixed lettuce, cucumber, spanish onion, pepper and lime mayo sandwich on burgen bread. :D :D :D

It was delicious, I wanted to ask anyone about burgen bread, does anyone know how good this is for you. I am a big bread roll eater and have been cutting back, having chicken salads for lunch,but I wanted a sandwich today. I am hoping this bread is healthy so I can have my bread and eat it too :D :D

Do you all still eat bread and have good weight loss, what are your tips! Thanks :D
sunshine

Re: I just had the yummiest sandwich!

Postby Tarz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:47 pm

I really want to try it. i am a big bread eater so i had to switch to wholegrain. i can't afford to try Burgen. :( but that sandwich does sound yummy. much better then my ham and pickles :P
Tarz

Postby sunshine » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:52 pm

Burgen bread costs around $4.50, which is crazy, but I am the only one eating it, since hubby likes white seeded bread, and the kids like multgrain bread, so I put the loaf in the freezer and I can use it every day. Oh also I lightly toasted the sandwich too, droooooooool. So I don't really mind buying this bread, if it is going to be healthier for me.
sunshine

Postby Cac33 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:25 pm

I'm not sure how good it is for you but have a look on calorie king, its a great website you can check how many calories & kJ are in foods etc

PS your sandwich made me drool too
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:14 am

I've looked into the burgen breads quite a bit and the healthiest one is the wholemeal and seed, thats the one I eat now.

It is far lower in sodium than other breads, much lower in carbs, it has fat levels of around 6 grams but that is good fat, great fibre levels and some protein in there too. It is definitely the most nutritionally balanced one.

I was having the noble rise wholemeal for a while, and while it has half the fat of the burgen W&S, it is around double the carbs and sodium.

I find the burgen bread much more filling too.

And for a lower sodium content, switch the mayo for avodcado :D

Sounds like a yummy sandwich :P
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby loveat116 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Thats a pretty good price for a loaf of bread like that!

A loaf of Mighty Soft Raisin toast cost me $4.50 yesterday, burgen bread was cheaper! I must try it...
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby sunshine » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks everyone, Fiona I will try the wholemeal and seeds one, next week, and avocado sounds yummy too!! Bit better than my usual vegemite :D
sunshine

Postby leeni.s2 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:43 pm

Tarz wrote:I really want to try it. i am a big bread eater so i had to switch to wholegrain. i can't afford to try Burgen. :( but that sandwich does sound yummy. much better then my ham and pickles :P

i know burgen bread is fairly expensive, but you should try going to your grocery store on a sunday in the late arvo as they usually discount the bread.

at my work, we discount all bread to $1.99-$1.49 from about 2pm, and some people stock up on burgen bread. i had a customer today who bought 7 loaves of them!!

start date; 15 feb 08
first mini goal: 88kg ; much needed haircut. - accomplished
second mini goal: 80kg ; not sure yet
leeni.s2

Postby Tarz » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:16 am

leeni.s2 wrote:Tarz wrote:
I really want to try it. i am a big bread eater so i had to switch to wholegrain. i can't afford to try Burgen. but that sandwich does sound yummy. much better then my ham and pickles

i know burgen bread is fairly expensive, but you should try going to your grocery store on a sunday in the late arvo as they usually discount the bread.

at my work, we discount all bread to $1.99-$1.49 from about 2pm, and some people stock up on burgen bread. i had a customer today who bought 7 loaves of them!!

I didn't know that happened!. When i worked at an IGA, the bread company would come in every few days and take away old bread and leave new bread so we never got to mark it down. Maybe next Sunday i will check out the supermarkets to find some. It would be great cos i could freeze it and use it as i need it! Thanx leeni
Tarz

Postby wstewart72 » Sat May 10, 2008 7:42 pm

I find Burgen a great bread to eat, as it's low GI, and tasty at the same time. My favourite is the oatbran and honey, though I've probably tried them all (when the oatbran & honey has run out!)

Burgen is actually a key part of my weight loss strategy (which I'm blogging at the moment: http://manmassloss.blogspot.com/2008/05 ... bread.html)
wstewart72

Return to Diet Talk