It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:18 am

Free Newsletter

Metabolism problem?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Metabolism problem?

Postby Alexx » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi I'm Alex (f), 22, 154 lb (height 5.3) and I'd really need to get back to my usual 125 but I'm having some problems that may be caused by a slow metabolism (I was on medication for the last 2 years, 2 mg Xanax everyday - I'm off it since this year).

What I've done is basically try one of those SlimFast diets but didn't work, I admit I didn't (and I still don't) eat breakfast but I'd drink one of those SlimFast shakes at 12 then a big green salat with some light cheese (if) at dinner.

I've tried a juice/fasting diet so end up losing 3 lb by just drinking fruit juice (without sugar) for 3 weeks but I couldn't go on with it, I had days where I obviously felt really like really weak.

I've been doing Pilates with some aerobic routins too but I just feel really weak after a few minutes doing them. Atm I have no job so I'm pretty much at home, I do own an exercise bike that I'm not using for now.

My question is or better are:
1. Is there a (good) way to increase methabolism?
2. What would you do to lose those 30 lb?

Any advice is hightly appreciated!
Thank you, sorry about my english!

Re: Metabolism problem?

Postby austin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:52 pm

The best way to increase your metabolism is to increase your lean body mass - muscle.

The way to do this is to eat a protein rich diet (AT LEAST 1g protein to every kg you weigh, although ideally for muscle gain you should be eatning 1g protein per pound) and start weight training (or resistance training). This is best done at a gym, and probably best to get a PT session or ask your trainer at your gym about it.

Basically, muscle helps burn calories, and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

There are some other things, such as drinking green tea or eating spicy food... not sure if that is proven though.

Drink lots of water! Being dehydrated can slow your metabolism.

You could have a slow metabolism because of an undiagosed thyroid condition or PCOS. You really should go see your doctor about it.

Return to Diet Talk