It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:17 am

Free Newsletter

Best low fat butter option?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Best low fat butter option?

Postby Diminishing » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:20 pm

I KNOW how obvious this is, but until I entered it all into Calorie King I never realised just what an impact full cream milk & normal butter made on a days fat intake.

We buy full cream milk, as Charlie and Lexie still drink a fair bit.

But I think I am going to switch us all to Lite White or similar.

And I buy butter rather than a low fat margarine, as I hate the idea of the chemicals in margarine. But I must find an alternative..........

I am only allowed 13.3g of fat a day.........and with a couple of coffees with full cream milk and a smear of butter in a sandwich I blew my fat intake to over 20g........and I hate that damn fat marker to show over my allocation in red, LOL!

SO, what is the best low fat butter alternative? Preferably one that we can all eat, so not too "odd"tasting, and with the least amount of odd chemicals??
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Re: Best low fat butter option?

Postby electrongirl » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:38 pm

I don't know about the chemicals but I use Devondale Light spread.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu May 01, 2008 12:17 am

Could you substitute something else for butter on your sandwiches? Hommus or mashed avocado would have slightly fewer calories, would add some beneficial nutrients (protein for the hommus and omega 6 in avocado), and have no saturated fat or cholesterol.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Czarina » Thu May 01, 2008 11:15 am

EWQ has a great idea there, and I think they taste loads better anyway, I have never been one to use butter on sandwiches or toast. Another great alternative is Philly Extra Light, it has less than 5% fat, and it is yummy!
Czarina

Return to Diet Talk