It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:09 am

Free Newsletter

980 calories a day. what do you think?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

980 calories a day. what do you think?

Postby xXauschickXx » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:29 pm

recently ive been going on a 1000 aprox a day. not much has happened.
going through the net and with my height ans weight to lose they say i need to only consume 980 calories.
then i read you should never go below 1000 or your body goes into starvation mode and i should have 1200.
im SO confused!! I dont want to do 1200 cause im scared i will either maintain my weight or gain weight when i want to lose weight.
please help i want to start now and seriously get into a new change.
xXauschickXx

Re: 980 calories a day. what do you think?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:31 am

I've always heard that the minimum should be 1200 calories or you go into starvation mode. In fact that could be why you're not seeing your weight budge. The body is good at slowing down the metabolism if it detects a danger of starvation. That's why just cutting calories is rarely a good long term weight loss solution. Your body adjusts to a certain number of calories so you have to cut them more... then it adjusts again so you try cutting more calories... and so on all the way to a severe eating disorder. You'll probably find that increasing your food will actually help you lose weight quicker. Give it a try. What do you have to lose but a week of your time? And potentially you'll find a much healthier way to lose weight which allows you to eat more than before.

Have you plugged your height and weight into Calorie King? Many people here use that site to count their calories. It should tell you how many calories per day you should be eating.

And if you are still in doubt, go and see a nutritionist. They're far more knowledgeable about these things than we are! And your long term eating habits can have far too many health implications not to take them very, very seriously.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby xXauschickXx » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:55 am

thanks do much for your help evilwombatqueen ive been asking alot of questions...im just so curious and unsure.
xXauschickXx

Postby xXauschickXx » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:57 am

my parents dont want me to go to any nutritionist or anything cause they dont think i need to lose weight. but getting my p's in less than 7 weeks i will book myself one. ok hmm well ill go on a 1500 calories and see how it goes.
xXauschickXx

Postby matchbox » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:25 am

1200 should be the bare minimum. sometimes if you up your cals as well you'll see better results. i joined calorie king and they had me on 1260 calorie - i wasn't losing anything! i upped it to about 1360 or 1400 and then started losing. sometimes it's about eating more! crazy huh. in the end i hated counting calories, it took over mymind! and i'm now on WW - much easier as i only have to count to 20! and i'm losing more with WW than i was with calorie king.
i just do WW at home, not signed up with them or anything, just use the formula and bits and pieces i've found on the net.
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Return to Diet Talk