It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:39 am

Free Newsletter

Water intake on cold days

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Water intake on cold days

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun May 07, 2006 6:04 pm

I've not been drinking as much water as I should have for the last couple of weeks. This was for a couple of reasons: 1) work has been incredibly busy and I just can't seem to get the fluid into me. 2) It's been so bloody cold, drinking cold water, especially out of the work water cooler, just sin't appetising.

But I've discovered (one of those lightbulb moments) a way of making the second reason less of a problem. Drink hot water. Well duh. :roll:

Just like a cup of tea, only water. That way you get the nice warmth of a hot cup in your hand, and warmness in your tummy and you get the water intake.

Sounds fairly flipping obvious, but I only just figured it out. Thought I share it for anyone else with the same problem.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Sun May 07, 2006 7:06 pm

I haven't noticed it so much at work but have at home. During the week I do most of my water drinking at work so it hasn't been a problem.

At work I get water from the refrigerated part so it is colder than normal and at home I leave the water jug on the bench so the temperature is OK.

Believe it or not I keep a water diary. I know how anal this sounds :lol: The reason is I used to forget to drink water and would often get home and realise I have barely gotten through one glass the whole day. So the diary is part of making it a habit for me. These days I get through 4-5 glasses at work (larger than standard) and then another couple at home and that works out to just over 2 ltrs. Am drinking anywhere from 2-3 ltrs a day.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun May 07, 2006 9:18 pm

On a busy day I often don't get through a 750ml bottle of water at work and that is on top of 2 hrs riding and that is not good. I am going to try setting myself a reminder to have a drink ever hour this week.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Mon May 08, 2006 7:25 am

I think heating up your water in the microwave is the best idea, I don't know how cold it gets in Australia but over here it's been 11 or 12 degrees some days and I just can't stand COLD water when it's cold because it makes you feel colder, I'm on a medicine that does that to me anyway so... yeah :lol:
losebabyfat_2005

Postby Groovychic » Mon May 08, 2006 7:30 am

I keep a glass of water on the bench in the kitchen and every time I walk past I have a guzzle. I have always done this, well since breast feeding and they drummed it into you that you had to make sure you drink a lot of water!!! So the last 11 years I have drunk anywhere between 1litre and 2.5 litres. Generally it is in the higher mark, as I drink nearly 750ml while exercising on the treadmill. I've actually drunk the whole bottle a few times, and if the kids are around shout for them to come fill it up again for me! But that isn't very often, only if I decide to do a 1.5hr stint on the treadmill, which now that I am running I tend to stick to an hour. I try to make sure I drink at least 1.5 litres on top of that tho as that 750 ml is just replacing the fluid that I have sweated out. I do tend to drink too much tea during winter. I think I had 4 cups tea and a milo yesterday. I try to limit it to 3 tea for the whole day. It's hard when I have one early in the morning and another 1 at breaky time tho. And then if I socialize as well.........geez! :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Angel » Mon May 08, 2006 12:38 pm

Tegan,
Yeh I've noticed a drop in my water intake now its getting colder too. I'm trying to drink a mug of hot water or herbal tea every hour, seems to be working thus far. Have you considered filling a water bottle from the water cooler and leaving it on your desk, at least then it will turn to room temperature and not be freezing cold.

Your reminder sounds like a good idea, I used to that when I worked too. Sounds silly but I found it really hard when you were flat out busy to remember to drink water.

Good luck,
Angel
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon May 08, 2006 6:51 pm

the reminder worked quite well, although I think I have a lot of hydration still to catch up on. I think I had about 7 mugs of hot water today.

I need the reminder because otherwise I put my head down, get working and before I know it, 3 hours have gone by!

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Mon May 08, 2006 7:44 pm

Another thing I still do is put little flags up on my monitor. You know the ones that say 'sign here' you can also get them in different colours (these were something we used at work anyway so I just stuck a few on my monitor). Anyway I have 4 of those up and move them one at a time as I drink. At the very least it will be a reminder and anything could be used really.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Mary-Anne » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:19 pm

I find drinking room temperature water with lemon in it is good and easier to drink on cold days.
Mary-Anne

Return to Diet Talk