It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Free Newsletter

Please critique: my current food plan

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Please critique: my current food plan

Postby BeyondBeauty » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:42 pm

I work in the mining industry, I wake up at 5am each morning. I go to gym most evenings after work, so I normally don't get home until 7pm.

14 hours is a long time to be on the go, and I find it necessary to have lots of snacks with me so that I am not tempted to "buy" things that are fattening. I also feel fuller and more sustained if I snack on a lot of smaller items throughout the day, rather than having bigger meals. I don't like cereal and I can't eat breakfast at 5am in the morning as it makes me feel ill.

I began doing the Lite n Easy program, however, I simply couldn't sustain the cost involved... so I attempted to make my own menu plan. At the moment, I have two seperate menu plans which I eat on alternate days:

Day 1
Sanitarium Up & Go (200cal)
140g tub of diced fruit (80cal)
30g pack of Sunbeam "Just Nuts" natural nut mix (183cal)
1 x 160g weight watchers frozen wrap(275cal)
1 fresh orange or apple (40cal)
1 small wholegrain roll with vegemite (100cal?)
250ml fruit juice (110cal)

(approx 990cal total)

Day 2
1 ham & low fat cheese whole grain toasted sandwich (?)
1 portion of weight watchers fruit slice biscuit (85cal)
1 x 100g tub of low fat fruit yoghurt (95cal)
8 rice crackers(80cal)
1 fresh orange or apple (40cal)
1 x 160g weight watchers frozen wrap (275cal)
250ml fruit juice (110cal)

(approx 685cal +sandwich)

I pre-pack these into zip-lock bags on the weekends, so each morning I just open the fridge, grab a bag and go! I don't specify to myself "when" I must eat these foods or in what order, I just snack on them throughout the day as and when I feel like it... and some days I don't eat it all.

My evening meal usually consists of a small salad with some skinless chicken or lean red meat.

I am not sure if there is anything wrong with the plan I have and would be greatful for your comments and/or suggestions on what works for you... bearing in mind that with a 14 hour day, and only having about 2 hours at night to cook, wash up and relax, all options need to be "simple".

Thanks for your input!

BB x x
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Re: Please critique: my current food plan

Postby Czarina » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:15 pm

You are definitely not consuming enough calories! Especially when working such long days and going to the gym. I recommend checking out the Calorie King website, it will tell you how many calories you need to consume for your height/weight/activity level, etc. With the amount you are eating now, you won't be giving your body enough nutrition, and sending it into starvation mode, which means you will hang onto the weight. I thought it was crazy too, but you do need to eat more than you think to lose weight. Though you are making some healthy food choices which is a good start. :D

Good Luck!
Czarina

Postby jilliansmyhero » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:38 pm

i must agree it doesnt sound like much cals BUT it depends on how much u have to lose, u did say u dont eat it all is that because u dont have time OR because your not hungry, u would proberly have heaps more energy for work etc if u eat more. goodluck
jilliansmyhero

Postby curvygirl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:35 am

Sounds like you have made some good choices. Make sure that you are getting enough protein. Sometimes we eat lots of fruit thinking that it is better than other snacks but remember that fruit has alot of sugar in it even though its natural sugar.
Maybe add some boiled eggs to your snacks and if I was working the hours you do I would seriously consider getting Lite and Easy just for your main meals during the week. Good luck with your plan you certainly sound motivated.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby Rosie Peters » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:48 pm

.. and some days I don't eat it all.

You have to eat. Every day, even when you don't feel like it - take Czarina's point - starvation mode is your body's way of telling you it will not let go of any fat till you convince it that it will be fed on a regular basis - a small meal or snack every 3 hours will kick up your metabolism and convince your body to work with you, not against you.

I know you said you feel ill eating at 5am :( , but you should consider working on this. Breakfast is going to set you up for the day. If you can start with something plain like toast and work your way up to some form of eggs or muesli, your body will reward you and not be so likely to go into starvation mode.

And I agree with the others. You definitely need more calories and especially protein.

RE your fruit intake - whole fruit is much better than fruit juice, which is mainly sugar with all the fiber of the fruit taken out with the juicing. Don't be afraid to go for 4 or more pieces of fruit in your long working day. No prep needed :D

How about some serious salad and veggie involvement? Your diet seems to be lacking these and they are really important for nutrition and to keep your digestive system (especially your bowels) happy. They also help you with lessening cravings cause they are so filling. Frozen (and tinned) veggies are quite ok if fresh is a problem in your town.

Tinned kidney beans, low fat cottage cheese and boiled egg snacks would up your protein levels significantly and sustain your energy.

I hope this is helpful. I love the fact that you are preparing bags of goodies and fighting fattening temptations.
Rosie Peters

Postby BeyondBeauty » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:23 pm

jilliansmyhero wrote:i must agree it doesnt sound like much cals BUT it depends on how much u have to lose, u did say u dont eat it all is that because u dont have time OR because your not hungry, u would proberly have heaps more energy for work etc if u eat more. goodluck

It's because I'm not hungry... I always make time for food if I feel hungry.

Don't forget these are only my "daytime" calories... I'm adding dinner to the mix at the end of the day, which is always some form of lean meat plus a salad or vegetables.
BeyondBeauty

Postby BeyondBeauty » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:31 pm

Rosie Peters wrote:
.. and some days I don't eat it all.

You have to eat. Every day, even when you don't feel like it - take Czarina's point - starvation mode is your body's way of telling you it will not let go of any fat till you convince it that it will be fed on a regular basis - a small meal or snack every 3 hours will kick up your metabolism and convince your body to work with you, not against you.

I think you misread that line... I said some days I don't eat "it all", being all of the food, not "at all" meaning not eating anything. I definitely eat every day, it's just that most days I come home with an item still in my lunch bag.

Rosie Peters wrote:I know you said you feel ill eating at 5am :( , but you should consider working on this. Breakfast is going to set you up for the day. If you can start with something plain like toast and work your way up to some form of eggs or muesli, your body will reward you and not be so likely to go into starvation mode.

It's very hard to eat that early in the morning, which is why I have an Up & Go - we have nutrition sessions at work and the nutritionist suggested these as a good source of protein and a great way to start the day for those of us who can't stomach solids. I know I need to work on it, but I've been trying to work on it for years and if I attempt to force feed myself I end up being physically sick. I do follow up the Up&Go with something a little more solid within 60 to 90 minutes.

Rosie Peters wrote:How about some serious salad and veggie involvement? Your diet seems to be lacking these and they are really important for nutrition and to keep your digestive system (especially your bowels) happy. They also help you with lessening cravings cause they are so filling. Frozen (and tinned) veggies are quite ok if fresh is a problem in your town.

I didn't include my evening meal in the above plan, that was just daytime food - I do have some form of lean meat plus a big salad or plate of vegetables each night.

Rosie Peters wrote:I hope this is helpful. I love the fact that you are preparing bags of goodies and fighting fattening temptations.

Thanks, I find the pre-prepared bags very helpful as I only have to spend an hour once a fortnight packing "lunches", then I am sorted for the 2 weeks that follow. Removes the possibility of laziness setting in!
BeyondBeauty

Postby Rosie Peters » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks for the clarification, BeyondBeauty! - much relieved that you don't go without eating - couldn't imagine how you were still standing up!!! Very sorry I misread you. My eyes are getting really bad... :oops: I have to go out and buy one of those strings for round the neck so I don't lose my glasses.

I think that if you are eating within 60-90 minutes after some up and go, you are doing well with your morning solids issue.

I have a homemade (husband made - fortunately husband is gym rat) protein stack with some powdered "greens" in skim milk or water followed by muesli then a workout before work and I find if I occasionally skip the muesli (due to forgetting to moisten the oats the night before), the protein/vitamin drink is enough to start the day on.

Your evening meal sounds perfect and makes more sense to me re your calorie intake vs your workload and exercise.

I prepare each set of meals every night for the next day and like you, this really sets me up to stay on the straight and narrow. I feel kind of good and purposeful putting everything in the little containers too.
Rosie Peters

Postby BeyondBeauty » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:39 pm

That's okay Rosie, we all misread things occasionally! Well it sounds like I'm doing okay... I certainly don't feel hungry, but I never feel over-full either... and I dropped 1.1kg's last week, so I must be on the right track. Thanks for your support!

BB x x
BeyondBeauty

Return to Diet Talk