It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:38 am

Free Newsletter

eating out of habit

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

eating out of habit

Postby faTTi » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:38 pm

how does one stop doing this?

i've read about emotional eating, i don't do this, i eat when i'm sad happy angry whenever :lol:

excessive hunger, nope

i just eat because it is something i do, just a habit :?

i find myself just walking to fridge without even thinking about it, when i'm not even hungry. I am now making a conscious effort to ask myself do i really need this food before i eat it, but damn its hard. I just unconciously eat stuff for no reason.

Any tips?

First Mini Goal: 100kg

faTTi

Re: eating out of habit

Postby SarahC » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:03 pm

I don't have any tips, sorry! I do the exact same thing!! If i had a dollar for every time I opened the fridge or the pantry and stared in.... :mrgreen: Unfortunately, most of the time, staring is closely followed by eating :(
SarahC

Postby BeyondBeauty » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:38 pm

Find a photo of yourself which you hate because you look revoltingly overweight in it, and a photo of yourself when you were in better shape - print them, stick them both on the fridge. The other thing I do is use to fridge to post weight loss charts.... or, put inspirational quotes about success. Every time you go to open the door, these things will remind you.
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:47 am

Find a new habit to replace snacking with. You can't eat while you're knitting for example. Or sketching. If necessary get yourself away from the fridge by going for a walk during your 'danger' period. Or get some hand weights so that you can add some extra exercise in when you would normally snack with the added advantage of keeping your hands busy.

If all else fails paint your nails each evening. You can't snack while waiting for each layer to dry!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby SarahC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:54 pm

BeyondBeauty wrote:Find a photo of yourself which you hate because you look revoltingly overweight in it, and a photo of yourself when you were in better shape - print them, stick them both on the fridge. The other thing I do is use to fridge to post weight loss charts.... or, put inspirational quotes about success. Every time you go to open the door, these things will remind you.

These are all great ideas! I think I have tried all at one time or another.

Only thing I would add would be to change the photos/quotes/charts regularly. I find, if the same thing is hanging there, after a while I get used to it being there and start to ignore it :wink:
SarahC

Return to Diet Talk